1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a 1981 Yamaha YZ465 Factory Replica...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Grinder74

Grinder74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing crazy, just trails in Ohio and surrounding states, although I do plan to hit Sand Mtn with the rest of the big bore nuts. They have plenty of power at low revs.
    no r8e8ers likes this.
  2. no r8e8ers

no r8e8ers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You talking about sand mt. in Nevada?

Git busy. I wanna see a build thread! :bow :photog

3. Andr32

Andr32 n00b

Oddometer:
    no r8e8ers likes this.
  4. no r8e8ers

no r8e8ers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Andr32

Andr32 n00b

Oddometer:
    It is necessary to make a top mount, through which the frame engine forms rigid triangular elements. Perhaps a breakdown would not have occurred.
    Yes it is 490 and flat slide. :D

6. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    Cool thread, thanks for sharing! I've never really been interested in modern motocross, and am far too young to have experienced any of the history you post about, but it is very cool to learn and see the technology advance through this critical period of dirt bike history.

I have a 1988 KDX200 that I'm working on, and I'd love to get an IT200 some day.

Thanks for sharing your trick for holding the flywheel with a ratchet strap back towards the start of the thread - I'm sure I'll be using it sometime soon!

Done any races recently?
  7. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your note!

It is fun. The nice thing about this era is the bikes are easy to work on and the costs are still reasonable. I find the people involved to be very, very friendly, never had a bad experience.
    You should try to hook up with one of the vintage racing groups. Im sure they have a class for both the KDX and the IT200.

Ive never ridden a KDX but did ride a friends 84 IT200. It was a nice bike and went pretty good.

Do to a busy work schedule, I have not done any racing for quite awhile. However, I have been riding quite a bit at the farm with a friend who is pretty darn good! I think he was like #2 in MD cross country back in the 80s. He goes good and rides a 2019 KTM 250.

So it very much feels like racing! We try to be careful about not knocking each other down, important as we are both geezers now if honest.

I haven't ridden the YZ465's much but have been riding the YZ490, the Husky and the Maico. Also the IT490. Let's see if I can find some pics!

Here is the main trio. The Maico needs a general lookover. I broke the kickstarter on it and some other stuff.
    The Husky got a lot of use and I just replaced the ring. Next time will be a rebore. The YZ is doing great. Starts easy and runs good. A crack recently developed in the pipe. Its fast and has more low end torque than the 465. I like riding it.

Honestly, they are all pretty fast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the crack in DG pipe. I 1st welded the crack and then made a reinforcing plate to go over it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Plate is welded up next. This was also a good time to wire wheel the surface rust off. I then sprayed some high temp clear thinking that may give it some protection for at least 15 minutes or so, haha.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ill see if I can find a few more photos as way of a further update!
    JensEskildsen and Pressingonward like this.
  8. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a 1980 YZ465 missing the kicker, airbox, and a few misc... Going for a running restore... Got it to "pop" the other day so it will run. Have to order another carb boot, and clutch cable... Should be getting very close on having it all going... Curious if it is something I will enjoy or pass along to a vintage racer lol... Just gotta get the rear fender mount sorted since it is snapped and gone and they riveted the fender to the seatpan instead...

KIMG1459.JPG KIMG1467.JPG
    MxFan69 likes this.