Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    been thinking i should start this thread. i have a thread on EZS leading installation that i have completed installing http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ezs-leading-link-instalation.1085502/page-7 i am now dealing with the rest of the build, i am hoping the gurus here can help with info, i am a first timer.

the bike is a 2004 1150 GS adventure. Claude build the subframe and the chassi for the sidecar. i am doing the rest. the sidecar opens to 7 foot long, 30 inches wide, track wide is 58 inches. sleeps one person and two tightly (better than sleeping on the ground). thx connecting.jpg draft2.jpg open.jpg close.jpg here are some pictures.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    That's a cool idea.

I myself prefer tents in the summer to keep the bugs away while still providing lots of ventilation. I don't mind sleeping on the ground.

For winter camping, campers are great! But in the summer, campers are bug free, yes, but lean towards too hot and clammy. So my suggestion is that if you plan to use this rig in warm weather, plan a design that takes into consideration ventilation and bugs.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. silverdog

silverdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like your plan, looks like you know what your doing.

Keep us posted on your progress please.....
  4. High Octane

High Octane Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool
  5. rebelrider.mike

rebelrider.mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like this idea!
  6. Sideshow Steve

Sideshow Steve Selfless Consumer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    :ear
  7. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    yes it will be ventilated, think about a tent but off the ground, the side of the sidecar are covered with aluminum "panel" riveted to the tube and some with sunbrella canvas used on boats. the enclosure over the top will have many screens for ventilation. i am also figuring out a design that is easy to set up and easy to take down. the storage box/kitchen behind the passenger seat and the passenger seat are also easily removable and to secure. when you reach campground, the storage box/kitchen can be set up and the bike with sidecar can be ridden. that is the idea, now i need to build it .......thx
    claude likes this.
  9. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    Me too!
  11. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing this my friend. After all of our schemes I think Your plan is better than what we talked about originally and much simpler to boot. I haven't forgotten that ham dinner though LOL.
  12. dengwynn

dengwynn AT LARGE

Oddometer:
    Traveling double is asking a lot of your "camper". My wife is happier staying home.
    That makes it very much easier as far less compromise is involved. Building is simple for one occupant.
    Travel is more rewarding if I do it solo. If you travel double, a motel has great advantages.
    The advantage you have is that as you are building it, you can make it fit what you want to do.
    If you could work out an entrance, the flexible walls would be good. A hard roof like that of a VW Kombi would make erection easy. Your storage could be inside as part of the floor. Once you know the design, construction is fairly quick.
    (2 weeks for a simple teardrop trailer ). hope it works well for you.
  13. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    no worries i have not forgotten about the ham dinner already invited all my families :-). i want to thank you for all your advise, was very helpful to get me started. i learned to let design ideas stew a bit until they get simple, when i feel they are at the simpliest i build. i hope to make a lot of progress this thanksgiving weekend. thx again.
    claude likes this.
  14. Egads1

Egads1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is pictured in my avatar photo. A great way to travel or rally.
    JustKip likes this.
  15. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever think about a small AC unit. I've seen people doing it to Bunkhouse campers... Keeping and eye on this one, nice work....
  16. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    this great, can you have a passenger on the sidecar? this looks like a roof top tent for sidecar. i am interested to learn more about it, do you have a thread or a link i can look at. thanks
  17. Egads1

Egads1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basically I converted a Kompact Kamp (or Mini-Mate) into a sidecar. Passenger behind me only. Takes just a couple minutes to set up, inside stays dry. I do recommend stabilizer jacks on any way you go.
    JustKip likes this.
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    this is great and innovative, but i need passenger space on the sidecar. thanks
  19. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not intending to hijack, could you send a bigger pic or two in a PM?
  20. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer: