Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Since I am now a Covid 19 inmate with lot's of time on my hand, I might start this project sooner than later. I am looking for a 1150 gs adventure, since this will bolt on to my current set up, maybe an older one as DB suggested. I really only need the engine and the frame, I am ok with a salvage bike if I can find one. My rear wheel set up and front EZS leading link are still good. It is possible that the transmission is also good. I am still trying to make the mechanical stuff of this bike simple but that is for later discussion.

I also want to make my current sidecar narrower. My question is what is the narrowest track width I can build for more agility without sacrificing safety. The current track wide of my sidecar is 60", very wide since it was a camper for two. Thx
    brstar, rg sw wa. and Bobmws like this.
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    The track width of a Soviet Steed sidecar is 44 ¼” (3’8 ¼” or 112.4 cm) from centerline of rear tire to centerline of SC tire. According to google. What do you think of this track width on a 1150GSA sidecar?
  3. Ajacks

Ajacks "Not in the face"

Oddometer:
    rear tires, outside to outside 61’’

9DD06DE6-6A7E-42B6-B27F-3D0AC727D1B3.jpeg
  4. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man that sucks. I admit I haven't been following along on the forum for about a year but catching up slowly. Do you know what caused the fire? I'll be following along. I won't say the my build will be happening in parallel because I'm pokey. But I'm interested in seeing your progress.
  5. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Thank you, that is close to my current track width of 60" center to center. I am trying to get as narrow I can. What do you think that is without sacrificing safety? I am trying to build a sidecar with improve agility.
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I don't really know what cause the fire. I rode it the day before no problem, that is why it was parked on our driveway. I am looking for a bike I only really need the motor and the frame, I think I can still use everything else on my bike. I am trying to avoid getting a complete bike just to tear it apart.
  7. Ajacks

Ajacks "Not in the face"

Oddometer:
    Claude Stanley built two of my rigs, in my opinion you should contact him. He is a great guy and a brilliant engineer-fabricator
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  8. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my design considerations on an adv sidecar is what is the track width of the ruts on unsealed roads. In the US probably pretty wide given the size of your trucks, in New Zealand it's probably narrower as ours are all Japanese made trucks.
  9. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Claude build the chassi of my rig then shipped it to me. Yes I will be in touch with him. He was very helpful when I was dealing with the insurance company, he guided me when I was building my camper sidecar over the phone. I also visited his shop. thank you.
    wilfred, Flyin' Monkeys and rg sw wa. like this.
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am trying too build one for agility more than the road wide of the road.
    Eddieb, Flyin' Monkeys and rg sw wa. like this.
  11. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I have started cleaning up my burned sidecar, if I am still a Covid 19 inmate in June I think I can get a lot done. I am looking for a donor 1150GS Adventure I only need the chassy/frame, engine and the transmission. My EZS leading link and the wheels are still good. I want to avoid tearing down a perfectly running bike.thx sidecar burned.jpg
  12. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Wow...so sad. Feel free to call . I still owe you a dinner.
    davebig, doublemocha and rg sw wa. like this.
  13. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Ural seat is also closer to the ground than the GSA. You will lose some stability the narrower you go particularly since you are sitting higher on the GSA, creating a more leveraged situation. If looking at Jeep trails, their width is not that narrow.

At speed you will want stability.

What is your goal? Where you you plan to ride?
    rg sw wa. and claude stanley like this.
  14. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I will call for sure. I am coming to get my diner with my new sidecar . I am trying to get to a narrower track width on this new build, I will put the sidecar as close to the bike as possible then I plan to cut the sidecar chassi to make it narrower. My goal is 48" track width or narrower. A Ural has a 38 1/4" track wide I don't think I will get there. It will still be a camper build but for one person. I want to thank you for supporting my crazy ideas over the years. and great to hear from you.
    brstar likes this.
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    On the freeway I really don't want to go pass 65 MPH. Most ride like many I try to get off the freeway and ride the country roads. When possible maybe washboard, dirt roads & bumpy, when I am not out on a ride then it is a daily driver. My current final drive is from bmw 850, so this bike is not made to go fast, but lot's of torque. On the track width I am trying to get 48" and below, I would like to get to 38" like a Ural but I don't think I will get there, the passenger seat would become too narrow.
  16. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    We normally shoot for 52 inches as a minimum. Too narrow and stability can be an issue regardless of weight. Side Effects ( Brock and Peter Smith) used to say 48" was a bare minimum on their builds although most were wider. It is not just a factor in turns but in the true outback running on off camber sections of terrain even at low speeds can be a concern. Just food for thought but we have done many rigs that have endured global travel with the un planned challenges that can come up and width has not been an issue.
  17. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Thank you that is helpful. It took me down memory lane as I began to take the sidecar apart, the fun I had building the sidecar great rides including Alaska. Now begins the next journey. Took some measurements yesterday I am going for a track width between 48" to 52" closer to 48" if I can. I will also relocate the gas tank of the sidecar under the floor board to low center of gravity and hopefully help in the weight balance of the sidecar.... more on the tank later. thx track width.jpeg open.jpeg removed.jpeg
  18. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I admire your positive attitude... so the new rig will be a phoenix.
  19. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I have 2 questions:
    1. I am doing my googling but it will save me some time, I am sure someone else has place the fuel tank on the sidecar under the floor board. I am not using the OEM fuel tank it will be taken out. My question is what fuel pump did you use to pump the fuel from the fuel tank to the engine. I am looking for an external fuel pump. The pump will have to pump the fuel upward unlike the OEM where the fuel tank is above the engine. see picture

2. Also I am trying to figure if this is a good location for the fuel tank for the weight and balance of the sidecar, I realize it is a bit toward the front. I have the option of putting another fuel tank (transfer tank) in the back. see pictures tank.jpeg
  20. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    Because the fuel pump is a high pressure pump for fuel injection, the height difference between the old tank won't make any difference. Any OEM automotive fuel pump should suffice provided it can meet the pressure requirements of the BMW engine and the flow requirements (closely related to max hp of the engine. i.e. get one from an engine that produces more power). OEM pumps (from reputable brands) tend to be more reliable than aftermarket IMHO. An internal pump will be quieter and last longer as it will run cooler.
    davebig likes this.