Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    claude stanley and Bobmws like this.
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Yes there are a lot of fuel pump out there. According to the googling I have done the fuel pressure on 1150GS is 43.5 PSI. What external fuel pump are people using to satisfy the fuel pressure needs of the engine. In my situation the fuel pump has to pump upward since my fuel tank is below the engine. Should I get a fuel pump the can produce 45 or 50 PSI? thx
  3. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Is that the pump output or the fuel pressure regulator setting? I doubt the lift from your tank placement will have much effect on the fuel pump delivery pressure.
    CCjon likes this.
  4. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Do the fuel pump as a transfer pump that simply refills your stock tank. Plumb it into the return line or straight to the tank, Use a swithch, fuse and a shutoff valve. This is how trikes do it too.
  5. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I think that is the output fuel pressure I will check again. Can I use the OEM fuel pump as an external fuel pump? I also though of adding a low pressure fuel pump (1.5 to 4 PSI) near the tank output to help out the OEM fuel pump. I am not using my OEM tank, it will be taken out of the bike. thank
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am not using the stock fuel tank. It will be taken out of the bike completely I am trying to connect the fuel line directly from my tank under the floor board to the engine using an external fuel pump or the OEM fuel pump if I can use the OEM fuel pump externally. thx
  7. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can attach a hose to the inlet side of the pump. The parts fiche shows it attached to a strainer. Generally the pump outputs are higher than the pressure used at the injectors, hence the fuel pressure regulator which returns the excess pressure/volume to the tank.
  8. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    th

Yes I saw the strainer, I been googling but could not find the specs for OEM fuel pump. thx
  9. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of using this fuel pump https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/159000/10002/-1 43 psi flow very close to the OEM fuel pump of 42.5 PSI.
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Started building the bike. I am building from 2 two salvage bike that will hopefully become one complete bike. Trying to figure out where everything connects will take a lot of googling bikeframe.jpeg
  11. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Wire loom is suppose to cross over on the back of the alternator and tied down on that cradle behind the alternator but for some reason it is coming short. Any idea what to do here? thx wire loom.jpeg
    phughes likes this.
  12. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just my 2c worth and also not knowing your countries registration laws but if it was my bike I would get rid of every single electrical item that is not required. Also every bit of hardware like ABS if it has it and go back to old school simplicity.

Anything to make it super reliable and easy to carry spares and easy to fix if you are stuck out in the bush.

I did that with my K1100 outfit. Still has all the wiring but only connected to places that are essential to keep the bike running. Ditched the ABS years ago and because of my riding style I have never noticed the difference without it.
    norton(kel) and claude stanley like this.
  13. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    This rig had a service tank in the sidecar but used a BMW pump and mounting plate to run the fuel injection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tank is in sidecar as is the FI pump etc gravity filled from the original tank.

KISS keep it simple stupid not the worst way to go.
    doublemocha, 3legs and claude stanley like this.
  14. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Walked by an 1150GS at the finger lakes rally a couple years ago and noticed something odd...wenr back and saw he had two Amal carbs on it. The owner came up and got to talking. He went to carbs as he had seen it on a bike at the Paris Dakar event a few years back. So he also got rid of a bunch of the junk under the fuel tank and modified the tank to fill the extra space gained. He aid he gained around two gallons.... pretty impressive in my book. :-)
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I like your 2c. That is exactly what I am trying to do. I wish I know how to do that, I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to engine and electronic. I would like to get ride of the computer system if I can. I am getting rid of the ABS. I am not using the OEM tank. I am taking it out of the bike to get easy access to the engine and other components. I am putting a fuel tank under the floor board of the side car. I am looking for an external fuel pump that will replace the OEM pump. I would need help to get this engine to the bare essentials.
    3legs likes this.
  16. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Mine is not a "service tank" I am getting rid of the OEM tank. My only fuel tank will be under the deck of the sidecar. I am looking for an external fuel pump. It would great to know if someone has done this before.
  17. davebig

Oddometer:
    So unless you got to have and external pump build a tank with a hatch like BMW does and install a BMW pump return line etc you could possibly even use the gauge . I thought your idea was acceptable you'd need a good pump and regulator and I have no idea what pump would work well.
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I found a pump that has about same flow rate as a OEM pump (42.5) this pump as a rate flow of 43 PSI https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/159000/10002/-1 I am thinking of adding a low pressure pump to help push the fuel upward if needed. I am open to the hatch idea but I would prepare an external pump and filter for easy access. thx
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't need a extra pump, and may cool itself ok if there's a return line, cooler fuel without the tank sitting over the engine is always a plus I couldn't put either of my GS in garage with tank full and engine warm they spit a bit out.
  20. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    yes there will be a return line. thx