Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Installed new rear main seal using a soda can and plumbing tube. I am getting ready to install the flywheel, I understand to torque to 40nm/30ft lbs pls turn another 32 degrees. Anything else I need to do on the fly wheel. I need to buy a manual
    sodacan.jpeg plumbing.jpeg
    RidgeRunner56, brstar and draperg1 like this.
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Started researching suspension for my side car. I have the Claude torsion suspension on my sidecar, those have been great. I am thinking of adding self leveling shocks/actuator on the tub and the bike. I wonder what you all think about this idea. Been reading this thread; https://advrider.com/f/threads/show-us-your-sidecar-suspensions.1212216/page-6 I am at the very beginning of my research so I am open to suggestion.
  3. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't suppose you have a photo of Claude's torsion suspension?

I've had some indifferences with torsion block suspension and I have now reverted back permanently to swingarm/shock suspension.

Would be interested to see his setup.
  4. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    I think Claude does torsion bar suspension rather than rubber torsion block
  5. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah ok. :thumbup
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    There is a picture of Claude torsion bar suspension at the end of page 5 of this thread.
    3legs likes this.
  7. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
  8. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    No you have an anti swaybar the suspension is a coil over shock. [​IMG]
    Bobmws likes this.
  9. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Just something to ponder.....If you are going to use an electric linear actuator it is a good idea to have a solid ot even a manually adjusted strut along just in case the actuator happens to go bad. Better to be safe than sorry. Just sayin.
    doublemocha, norton(kel) and davebig like this.
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am looking for a good electric linear actuator (do you have suggestion), I currently have a manually adjusted strut. I have to replace the shock on the bike, the OEM burned. Should I stay OEM or is there a better after market alternative.
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    doublemocha likes this.
  12. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Well, it might work, but I don't know your measurements. Looks like you have a trailing arm there that moves up and down as the shock is compressed and decompressed. Then you have that fixed strut. I don't know how long the strut is. Then you have the rocker arm at the top. I don't know how much that will move up and down after you remove the fixed strut.

Before I ordered my actuator, I spent hours measuring and manipulating my suspension to make sure I was getting the right one. And, in the end, my measurements were an inch off, and I had to fabricate a new lower mount.

So you're going to have to figger it out somehow.

If this helps, I found this info online --- >

14. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Ok Dave if you intend to continue with Claude's swaybar and I certainly would if it's there, a camber jack or actuator is a waste of time !!!!!
    Once you get things adjusted changing it with an actuator is pointless.
    Your rocker setup is great it has about a 3-1 ratio lengthen the adjustable bit .5" and the other end moves 1.5" , it's fine unless you want to spend allot of money plus you have leading link forks none of the NL rigs run actuators :fpalm

Get yourself a good shock from EPM http://epmperf.com/
  15. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    An actuator will work with the swaybar it just preloads it more. But the swaybar is somewhat of a self loading device without an actuator. We do very few actuators on our rigs as they can potentionally be another item to go wrong at some point. Yes they are cool but carrying a solid or mechanical strut for a replacement when in a pinch can save a ton of grief if in the outback. Also on an actuator it is not a bad idea to utilize a removable shock boot which some have done.
    doublemocha likes this.
  16. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Lol oh my responding to my own post :-) ................Anyhow...Had a one guy venture far into Mexico quite a while back on one of our rigs. He had taken the shock we provided off and stuck a used one on that he had on hand. Well it totally failed on the trip home and provided zero help in holding the sidecar up. He contacted us and we sent a shock to the nearest town. BUT....It was still a long haul to the town to get it....so...I told him to see if he could find some place to make up a solid strut out of scrap or something to hold the sidecar suspension area up to get where he needed to go ...even a chunk of wood or whatever could have possibly worked ... Never happened and the only thing holding the sidecar up was the swaybar. Anyhow he made it with only the swaybar itself holding things from totally bottomimg out. It certainly was the surpreme test of the swaybar itself . FOOD FOR THOUGHT : Never hurts to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best ....a decent strut to even take the place of a shock is not a bad thing to consider having as a little insurance. mexico2.jpg
    doublemocha and norton(kel) like this.
  17. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    As Claude points out it preloads the bar making it stiffer and the ride allot harsher.
    I broke the rocker off in one of Claudes sidecars (my fault) but I still drove it 38 miles home with a passenger using the swaybar as a spring but I was taking it easy.
    [​IMG]
    Sway bars are handy they do lots of stuff, keep the rig from swaying so much, you can use them to tune your ride( after allot of f-ing around I preferred very little preload ) let it work as designed, it will work as a helper spring unless your wanting to haul a couple yards of crushed rock :-)

Actuator :hmmmmm Electrical add on's are fun and handy until they're not, then they are fuse eating ,relay needing sons of bitches !
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I measured the fix strut it is now 12" inches long but it is adjustable. In terms of length this strut can work if the size of those hole is 1/2" it would be a bolt on. It is something I need to figure out later on the build but good to know what you are using. thx
  19. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Yes I plan to continue to use the swaybar. Thanks for the link on the bike shock. I spoke to EPM the price of the bike for the shock is $838. custom made. I will think about that but it is pricey. thx
  20. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am thinking to adjust the swaybar and the sidecar shock to the normal load then use the linear actuator for those fine tuning adjustment. I will carry the fix strut with me for emergency. This is something for later in the build. I really appreciate the input. I will decide this later. thx
    Bobmws and claude stanley like this.