Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    There are lots of other shock dealers ask Claude, if you ad an actuator that moves 4" you may have a real mess with that rocker is will attempt to move the other end 12" :fpalm
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I definitely do not want to add complexity to this build, this is a decision I need to make later on the build I appreciate all the input. thx
    Bobmws likes this.
  3. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I need to decide on the bike shock soon. Next week I should be at the point of putting the transmission back and the rear end put together. The EZS parts to rebuild my front end should also be arriving next week. thx
  4. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Do you intend to use the same wheels and forks ?
  5. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am modifying my burned frame and chassi to make it narrower then to powder coating..... so it will be another welding and grinding day in my backyard. shop.jpeg
    Bobmws and RidgeRunner56 like this.
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Yes I am using same wheel and fork, I might change the shocks. I am changing the bearings and spacers they are on order from EZS. I am gonna change the tires, I want to put tall and skinny tires. I still researching that, looking for suggestion. I have a 850 final drive great for torque but rpm top off quickly on the freeway. thx My heart skips a beat every time I see this picture
  7. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Yep only one I ever knew of that failed...we have since gone to a machined pivot tower.

Attached Files:

Bobmws likes this.
  8. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the risk of offending someone especially Claude which is not my intention I see the advantages of swaybars on sidecars but not enough for a outfit that will probably never be raced or will spend most of it's life on a dirt road.

Personally I think an adjustable shock will do the job, far less things to go wrong. KISS principle for me.

Now I have to admit I have never ridden an outfit with a sway bar but I do understand why you would have one and why you would have an actuator but in my experience a well set up outfit wont need one.

If you ride the outfit fully loaded all the time then set the shock up for that load the same if you ride it near empty and when you do go for an extended ride fully loaded then adjust the shock and then adjust is back when you have finished the ride.

I guess I just ride to the conditions rather than worry about what my sidecar suspension is going to do.

Yeah I know I'm just a grumpy old bastard but I learnt from the best hey Davebig and Luke ( RIP FR700 ) :lol3:lol3:lol3
    Bobmws, doublemocha, brstar and 2 others like this.
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
    In reality Alex one would unhook the swaybar when in the bush and let the suspension move around, but if your loaded up on pavement they give you race like suspension as the adv rigs built overhere eveyone thinks you must have allot of ground clearance. On a low road rig they aren't necessary,
    [​IMG]
    This one had one when I bought it but I couldn't see that is was doing much except raising the tube height so I removed it. My mate AirheadDan has a Hannigan K1200rs that Claude installed and it helps that one.
    If the framing is tight and rigid they aren't necessary but a tall and soft benefit allot.
    Bobmws, doublemocha and 3legs like this.
  10. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Yeah I see your point DB.

I guess because mine is always fully loaded ready to go ( I can't take passengers in mine ) I have set the suspension for the best of both worlds. A bit of compromise for each type of road.
  11. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have suggestion for a rear shock for the bike? mine burn so I need to replace it. I can go after market if there is one that is better. Thank you all for your input on the linear actuator, as I said earlier that is something I can decide later. Today, I am mainly done with the welding and grinding. My focus is now building the bike, I bought two salvage bike that will become one. I have never done this before, I am looking forward to the adventure. There will be a lot of googling
    FLYING EYEBALL and brstar like this.
  12. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Hagon. I have one on my K1100 and it has been fantastic. Get the fully adjustable one for your model.
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  13. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Thx I send them an email.
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  14. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I bought shocks from Klaus at EPM, put HyperPro F&R on the bike and a YSS on the car. It really transformed the rig, to a point that even my wife noticed the difference!
    Pricey, but they were worth it to me, and are rebuildable and included a rebuild with the purchase (at that time).
    FLYING EYEBALL and doublemocha like this.
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Changed main seal, clutch assembly and attach the transmission.

Attached Files:

Bobmws, davebig, DRONE and 3 others like this.
  16. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    What size tires should I use? My bike is 1150GS Adventure with a 850 final drive, my current tires are 175/65R15 great for torque but I rans out of gear at about 55MPH. I would like to replace with a taller tires maybe 205/75/R15. Do you have other suggestion for tire size? I like the torque and not looking to go fast but I would like a little more balance between torque and speed when I am on the freeway. thx
  17. davebig

Oddometer:
    Better late than never you have the wrong rear end in your bike. People speak in Gross generalizations !!!
    The r850r final drive is great for an r 1150 GS however it is way too low for an r1150gsa .I'm sure I didn't but somebody gave you a quick head and get the r850r final drive and that's wrong for a GSA.
    You could change to an r 1100 GS final drive but you wouldn't have to if you're good at getting your hand off the clutch.
    The 1100 GS is a 33/11 the 850 is a 37/11
    A transmissions for the GS and the GSA are very different ! Don't believe everything that everybody tells you!
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    That is why I want to put a taller tire. How tall of a tire should I put on so that it will drive more like a 1100GS final drive?
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    :fpalm:fpalm There's no tire that tall and easily useable !
    No tire size calculator ?????:hmmmmm https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Probably the 165/80/15 the old VW size is as good as it gets, but your on a fools errand the 175/65/15 with the stock final drive would be great.
    Sidecars are not rock crawlers and the old 80 hp 1150 is a fine old rig but overly powerful, no.

The GSA trans has a much lower 1st and 6th gears. The 1150 is very adjustable and easy to work on and there's multiple final drives that work in them. I had a custom trans built with GSA low gear, GS 6th gear still used a 175/65/15 not an easily practical solution. Stock 31/11 final drives are easy to find and cheap.:hmmmmm
    Did you do away with the ABS and power brakes the first time ?
  20. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    thx, I am taking the ABS away this time. I am still researching how that is done. thx