Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Thermostat is inside engine and oil doesn't flow thru cooler till you get 5 bars in temp gauge wtf oil works best above 160 F .
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am looking for 12v power when I turn on the ignition. What to you think of connecting to the fuse box, connect to the hand grip heater #7 or the horn #4? Do you have other suggestions?
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    All bad ideas. Do it right and buy an aux fuse box. Here is an 1150GS aux fuse box install I did back in 2010 ---->

P1010313.JPG

Mind you, this was 10 years before @mikepa 's recent DIY posts.
  4. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    An auxiliary fuse box is a good idea but I wouldn't mount it under the gas tank or anywhere you need tools to get at it.
    brstar, Flyin' Monkeys and draperg1 like this.
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Agree. But there's plenty of room under the seat. I don't think I've ever seen anybody install one under the tank, though conceivably it could be done if the bike did not have ABS.
    draperg1 likes this.
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Aux fuse box great idea but where do I get the power for the aux fuse box? Thx
  7. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I can install the aux fuse box on the sidecar for easy access. Where do I get the power for the aux fuse box? Thx
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    The battery :fpalm If you want it on a relay so the fuse box doesn't have power you need a relay attached to a switched circuit between the battery and the fuse box.
  9. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    You run nice heavy pos and neg wires directly to the battery terminals. Ideally, your battery will only have two connectors per terminal. One to the main wiring harness and one to the aux fuse block. An exception might be if you had some accessory like a winch that required more power than the aux fuse block can provide.

Many of the aux fuse blocks come pre-equipped with a built-in relay like a Fuzeblock FZ-1 or a Centech or a PDM-60. If you get something like a Blue Seas box I think that one needs an external relay to convert it into a switched source.

@doublemocha , pardon me if this sounds rude, but this advice is sort of "Wiring 101" for GS's. If you're not familiar with the basics, should you be doing this? Maybe it's time to call in some help from a local buddy who has more experience. I recognize that you did some amazing work on building your camper rig the first time around, but is there any chance the fire started from an electrical problem? You don't want anything like that to ever happen again. Just my two cents.
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I get the direct to the battery, this will power the fuse box all the time. I only want power to the fuse box only when i turn the key on. Where can I get that power?

btw the last time a professional electrician did the wiring. I am trying to avoid burning my bike again
    slowpoke69 and brstar like this.
  11. davebig

Oddometer:
    Bobmws likes this.
  12. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I don’t think I have been clear with my question. Let me ask again. Where is a good place to get 12v power that will only turn on when I turn the ignition key to on? Thx
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    "Power to the box only when I turn the key on" - that's called "switched" power. If it's powered all the time that's called "unswitched" power.

You use a relay to turn the power to the box on and off. Some of the boxes have their own built-in relays and for others you need to use an external relay. But either way, you are correct that you need to find an electrical circuit on the bike that will turn the relay on and off when the key is turned on and off. Once you find that circuit, you tap into it with a wire that goes to the "trigger" on the relay. So of course this is usually called the trigger wire.

There is a variety of places on an 1150 that you can tap into. One of the places I like is the "hot" wire coming out of the top of the alternator. But that will trigger your relay only when the bike is running. Just turning the key will do nothing. Some of the other places you can look (use a multimeter to find the right one) is the diagnostic plug on top of the air filter box, or the EVAP canister solenoid connector just behind the fuse box. Some guys will tap into the tail light circuit, but that's a very thin wire and I don't like to mess with it. @mikepa just did this recently on an 1150 -- he might have a better suggested source for the trigger.
  14. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yay getting closer.
    Flyin' Monkeys and davebig like this.
  15. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If I'm remembering right,...

Generally on BMW red is raw power, brown is ground, green is switched power (ignition switch), white is high beam, yellow is low beam, grey is secondary light or park light (grey with a black stripe is fused), green with a red stripe is brake light, blue with a red stripe is left turn signal, blue with a black stripe is right turn signal, brown with a black stripe is electric start switch, black is horn. Wires with a stripe in them is a secondary switched power for different items.
    CCjon, davebig and doublemocha like this.
  16. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I will do some pocking around.
  17. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    My headlight connector plug is different to the wire harness. What connectors do I need? When I googled there seems to be a more updated headlight option. Pls see picture below. thx

Attached Files:

18. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Mine look like that take H-1 bulbs
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have only one of the two black twist-off caps that fit on the back of the lights. You need part no. 63 12 2 306 967 which is the high beam cap. New ones cost about $30 from BMW.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  20. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    My harness connectors do not match the headlight twist cap connectors. This headlight maybe from different model.