Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    That's a tried and true method. That's how I do my sidecar caliper with the 6-foot brake line.
    draperg1 and doublemocha like this.
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    They been hanging like this since yesterday, I will leave them hanging for another couple of days. If this does not work I will buy a used mc from eBay. My front brakes worked fine before my bike burned. will keep you posted. thx

Attached Files:

draperg1 and brstar like this.
  3. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    just want to report back that I purchase the covers and they work. thx
    draperg1, brstar, Bobmws and 2 others like this.
  4. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bled mine.
    First I bleed the MC by pumping the MC lever, holding it, opening the banjo until I feel a bit of pressure and see fluid coming out. I use a rag to catch the fluid.
    Here’s how I hang the calipers while I bleed them. Unbolt the lines and calipers from the bike and stretch the lines so they are mostly straight. Push the pistons back and use a couple of wedges (I use a .187 parallel) to spread the pistons and keep them from collapsing the brake pads together when bleeding. Then I use a multivac to pull the brake fluid thru and get the air out. I also unclamp the calipers from the table and shake and move them to get the air out. At this point I have a pretty firm lever. I put the calipers and lines back on the bike. Then I do the pump hold and squirt method to get the final air out. Done.
    EAF80460-575D-400F-BFDC-3ECAD49175DA.jpeg
  5. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am replacing my MC, bought from eBay. Tried all the above suggestions. thx
    3legs, Bobmws and DRONE like this.
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Finally got the front brakes working. Thanks you all for your help. I have a couple more things to sort out on the bike, I hope to post some pictures on the side car progress later.

Attached Files:

draperg1, Bobmws, DRONE and 1 other person like this.
  7. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Was the issue a bad master cylinder?
  8. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I replaced the master cylinder, but I don't think it was the master cylinder. I think it was the way I was bleeding it, you can see by the picture I basically did what you suggested. Which I did not do in the previous mc. The new mc was giving the same problem until I took the brake lines from their mount as you suggested. thx
    rg sw wa., Bobmws and High Octane like this.
  9. High Octane

Oddometer:
    They can be a bear.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Working on lights and other electrical: what headlight do you use for the sidecar to connect the OEM light on the bike? thx
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_2126.jpeg
    RIGID LED's lights on the tub, but next time would go with cheap LEDs, was not impressed with the high $$$ Rigids.
    Any small LED is adequate for making people aware of your size plus they draw very little juice.
    wilfred, rg sw wa., draperg1 and 3 others like this.
  12. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    my bike is 1150GS. I am looking for a light to connect to the OEM light. thx
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  13. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you are looking for. For the tub, any auto parts store LED auxiliary light fixture can be wired to the 1150GS headlights via a relay powered directly from the battery. Can be set up to come on with the bike's high beam, or an independent handlebar switch.

If you want the LEDs on all the time, wire the relay trigger to your low beam light. Or wire the relay trigger to your high beam for LEDs to come on only with high beam. The relay trigger only draws a small amount of current. You do not want to run the power for the LEDs through the OEM headlight wiring. Use a relay to supply power from the battery to the LEDs and use the bike headlight wiring for the relay trigger.
  14. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I will be using the Fuseblocks FZ 1 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3OJW4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I will figure out how to make it work with this. I am not that good on electrical, but I will figure it out. 3legs suggestion for light sounds good, http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/ff50-series/ff50/ I am still researching and looking for other suggestions. thx
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  16. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    3legs, draperg1 and brstar like this.
  17. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Using the Fuzeblock is a good idea when used with a relay to turn on /off the aux lights.

Note, the suggested Hella lights are halogen and draw a lot more current than LEDs. Are you planning on running the aux lights all the time? or just when needed at night?
    rg sw wa., 3legs and doublemocha like this.
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I plan to run them when my oem head lights are on. Do you suggestion for led?
  19. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Throughly good choice. I have used these on a number of bikes (put two of them on my ST1300 - that thing has so much extra suff on it :fpalm), and they are compact and easy to install. Take a lot of messing around out of adding auxiliary fuses and circuits. Given what else you have done on this bike, I am quite sure you will have no issues with that install.

I buy mine direct from Fuzeblock or from Cyclenutz but it's all good.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  20. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    CCjon is correct they are hologen and they draw more current than LED's but with the amount of electrical power your bike gernerates it wont even notice it unless you are running every accessory known to mankind.

I think your alternator is the same as mine and I always run my fridge and at times charge accessories while i'm on the move and I've never had an issue.

Mine only come on when my high beam is on. I find they have a good spread and depth also I like the fact that you can carry spare globes. Not sure if you can carry spares for LED spotties.

However I will concede that from what I've seen LED's are brighter but not by much in the same physical size range.
    CCjon, rg sw wa. and brstar like this.