Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got Cyclops 10°, my mechanic said they're like friggin DAYLIGHT! They have 10°, 20°, or a combo, plus you can get lenses in amber or clear that snap on VERY well.
    They advertise that they throw like 900', I believe them too!
    They come with good directions too, I'm not worth a damn with electric, so I had a local place wire them after I made the brackets and mounted them.
    I have something like 5 or 6 different settings for my lights.
    rg sw wa. and doublemocha like this.
  2. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pics at night if you can.
  3. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I am putting it on the side car so I have no headlight casing to put these on. thx
  4. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What’s up?
    brstar likes this.
  5. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    It might be like daylight, but what about the traffic coming towards you? So many vehicles today almost blind me when I'm night driving. Yes, it's nice to be able to have good lights but at the same time, you need to make sure you are respecting on coming drivers. Make sure it's aimed and adjusted properly and also that it is highway/ road approved.
    brstar, Strong Bad and rg sw wa. like this.
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2583359 View attachment 2583359
    Sorry the bike is mostly done just need to sort out small stuff like the sidecar headlights. I will post pictures later. Also I am trying to get it registered..... taking forever.

Meanwhile I am working on the tow vehicle for the sidecar, it is a 25 year old Mitsubishi Delica Jb500, also almost done also.

bullamojave.jpeg
  7. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. Gotta like that.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VERY rarely get flashed, the beam is so focused it's nuts. The only bad part is I had to make a mount for them.
    rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  9. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Took some courage to cut up this almost perfect tank. My idea is to turn the tank into a water proof bag,..... i am still designing it. I will read the post about the side car head light and make a decision. thx 7053E0D7-981D-4D02-81BD-4E5890DA1DF1.jpeg F85A6E6E-58DA-48E5-B6BD-450082FC71A0.jpeg 3BD30DA0-BAD0-4528-9B34-1379F2829FD6.jpeg 5EE1A749-2FCB-44F7-885B-51685074A187.jpeg

Attached Files:

10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    CCjon and 3legs like this.
  11. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Took it for a test ride today. Everything is good except for a WHOOBLE. The whooble seems to comes during acceleration and de separation, I have a VW steering damper. Been reading up on it, they say some whooble is normal. I will checking tire pressures, toe in and other looseness on the rig. If you have other experience with getting rid of the whooble please share. Thx
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  12. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it's only a "light" wobble/head shake that is normal. If it's severe even with the damper then yes something is not set up correctly.

Also make sure the leading link swingarm pivots bolts are firm, not tight but certainly not loose.
  13. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    All 3 tires where at 20 PSI inflated them to 35 PSI the wobble went away. There is a small head shake on sudden acceleration and deceleration it handles good. I think i will change the vw steering damper, the fire might have burned the inside from the heat. If the there is a suggestion for a better steering damper let me know. My current track wide is 50 to 51” center to center 7” narrower than before. There are small stuff i need to do others wise it is time to take it for a longer test ride in the canyons . I am excited to turn the gas tank into a bag...... still working on a design. Thx
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    It was wobbling at 20 lbs? Come on DoubleMocha! Try 35 in the rear and 40in the front, and replace the fire damaged damper with an exact duplicate.

Then tell us if it wobbles!
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I did not check tire pressure before taking it for a text drive. It already handle good just a little head shake at sudden acceleration and deceleration tomm I will try your suggestions tomm. Thx
  16. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got one of these dampers on my outfit.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Univers...786520?hash=item48e92e8998:g:FjcAAOSwjFRdidn2

They are cheap so you may as well buy 1 or 2 spares and carry it with you. Buy the longest stroke one you can find.

They are hit and miss on how long they last but they do work. My first one only lasted a couple of thousand km's but so far my second one is still going strong. I have mine on the lowest setting and get no head shake.

I found the VW steering damper too heavy.

You will need you buy an attachment for your fork leg to bolt it to unless you make your own. Like these.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/193690893...jeS3ZU0eE1k4gM7dd1e0t4bS5QWEYW6hoCNLMQAvD_BwE
    doublemocha, rg sw wa. and WILL_S like this.
  17. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Why more in the front than rear ?

Come from a back ground of higher pressures in the load area ?

Speaking of wobbles let a chineese backpacker take my chair for a ride .. why wobble ? Me.. Ar ya just ride out of that ,next thing she buggered off up the highway. Looked at me mate and said wonder if she is coming back , didn't tell her how to turn it round :lol3

20200811_213445.jpg
    3legs, doublemocha, rg sw wa. and 2 others like this.
  18. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Some stick a damper on right away. The problem in some cases is that even though it takes the headshake away it may be covering up a larger issue. Mounts, swingarm pivots, wheel runout, head set bearing etc etc. ............. Of course tire pressues are something that is in need of checking too. For some reason more air in the sidecar tire will many times make a big difference. The front tire may want more or less air . The rear tire is usually not the culprit if it is pumped up to what is on the sidewall or near that. ................ toe in can also create an issue. Yes we typically try and run as little as possible ..usually 1/2 to 3/4 at 8 feet but it is worth checking. This is even more of a concern on a rear pivot swingarm.
    doublemocha and rg sw wa. like this.
  19. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If you are good at fabricating, make a friction damper. They are just so tidy looking and adjustable for differing conditions.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  20. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    I have written this before here or there but......A friend who is a well trveled sidecarist ran with a low speed headshake seemingly forever. He logged many miles all over the country with his sport bike/ Hannigan rig. He had a leading link on it. Anyhow I suggested he try more air in the sidecar tire enough times where is became a running joke between us but he would say " the tire has the correct air in it and it has to be fine" or something like that. Anyhow on the way to a rally in W Va one year we stopped for gas. He went inside the store there to that bathroom. I noticed he parked his rig right by the free air pump so I snuck over and stuffed more air into his sidecar tire ( evil me). When we got to the rally after having a great time on the road he jumped off his rig with a huge smile sayinghis headshake had dissapeared. He was puzzled until he saw my stading against a tree with a big smile. Then he figured out what happened and still kids me about it years later. Small details can sometime make a big difference.