Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    updates; door, headlite and signal (moved the OEM signal lite to sidecar), sidecar open it will be 8 feet long with a tailgate not yet installed (plywood is mock up)
    sidecarside.jpg headlite.jpg open2.jpg close2.jpg
  3. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    update 2; auxiliary fuel tank in the front compartment under the floor 20"x26"x7", the second compartment in the rear i think will be for 2nd battery, compressor, and other recovery equipments. today i am will be working on the laying down the floor.... more to come. auxtank.jpg
  4. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    post thanksgiving update: thank to angtlalaska for doing the electrical, headline, tail lines, and signal lite all running through the motorcycle switches. this is temporary until Feb 2016 when the rig will be taken apart for powder coating. this set up is just to get me on the road. we want to take it on a couple of trips before powder coating. the last picture is the electrical box located under the floor relays and pdm 60 http://www.amazon.com/Rowe-Electronics-PDM60-Distribution-Module/dp/B00M9MRA14 on the final version. all will be water proof. thank you again angtlaska for doing the electrical. frontlites.jpg taillites.jpg ebox.jpg
  5. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    post thanksgiving update 2: the total length of the floor is 8 feet with the tail gate open. the chair is of course is removable with a drawer under the chair attached. additional utility storage under the chair floor that is accessible through the back floor panel. the auxiliary fuel tank is locate under the chair forward 20"x26"x7", behind the chair will be a removable cabinet with drawers (to be constructed). thx enjoy. chairside.jpg
    chairopen.jpg open floor.jpg
    Bobmws likes this.
  6. hensmen

hensmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great work!
    We were this summer on the road with our rig.
    [​IMG]
  7. DanKearney

DanKearney I'm in no rush. . .

Oddometer:
    :lurk Look forward to more. . .

Cheers,

Dan K.
  8. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Is the idea to leave the chair in the tub and lounge around and when it's lights out you put your feet under it or does the chair stay outside ...... or both?
  9. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    The chair is easily removable and will also be use as a camp chair for two. Behind the chair is a removable storage box/kitchen (Not yet build). Sorry for the slow build I have a full time job :-) thx for the inspirations.
    JustKip likes this.
  10. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a rafting kitchen/drybox that I wish would fit on my rig. The legs are removable, and store inside. Thinking about having a smaller one made, like this

[​IMG]
  11. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    that is the idea, it will be easy to build, i will do it next time i get on the project maybe next week.
  12. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    You're not slow ..... we won't go onto how slow I am but let's call it a couple of years slow :becca

And thank you for the inspirations.
    Bobmws, brstar and davebig like this.
  13. DanKearney

DanKearney I'm in no rush. . .

Oddometer:
    Show a few pics of that hack'd mountain bike.

Cheers,

Dan K.
  14. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only you Dan.
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    finally took it for a test drive yesterday in the neighborhood and to the hardware store. wanted to make sure it is all works. it will take getting use to with the EZS Leading Link and the sidecar but all seems to work fine...... need to ride it more. frontrt.jpg front backside.jpg back.jpg latch.jpg
    kailuasurfer and Dan Alexander like this.
  16. Jarrod Weaver

Jarrod Weaver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool project. Robust is an understatement. How much do you think the hack weighs? I'd bet with the suspension and wheels/tires you are running being heavy isn't an issue.
  17. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    How's it steer David ?
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i don't know how much it weight, does't not seem like it has more structure than any other build i have seen. i still need to put storage/kitchen in the back made out of aluminum and the body i am thinking of thin aluminum and or maybe canvas.
  19. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i read some place on this forum that adding a leading link will make it feel like power steering. at low speed which is my road test so far, it does not feel like power steering. i still need to go on gravel and freeway speed. to be fair i need to ride it more. we are thinking of trailering it to Baja Ca this holiday if uhaul will allow us to take their trailer across the border.
  20. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking really nice there.

My K100/EML rig with the EML leading link and 135/14 car tires does not want to turn at low speeds either. Of course I have the stock BMW RS handlebars also which does not help much.