Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Jarrod Weaver

Jarrod Weaver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no one at the border who will stop you with a U-Haul and the entire peninsula of Baja doesn't require a Mexican Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP). If someone does liberate the trailer you will definitely want to make a claim for it in the U.S. I use Baja Bound Insurance for trips into Mexico and have found that they can answer questions better than anyone else regarding such things. My casual observation is there are very few trailers in Mexico (not sure why) as they tend to pack/strap their things on top instead.
  2. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    That is a very nicely built rig! I haven't seen many camper rigs but this looks like it will be a good one!
  3. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    spoke to uhaul they won't allow to take the trailer across the border
  4. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    thx
  5. Jarrod Weaver

Jarrod Weaver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    spoke to uhaul they won't allow to take the trailer across the border

The old permission vs. forgiveness issue....
    slowpoke69 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    True of course, but I'm sure you'd not want to pay the cost of replacing their trailer if it went missing down south. (The replacement cost of their trailers is quite a bit more than we'd pay for a "civilian" model of similar specs.)
  7. Jarrod Weaver

Jarrod Weaver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a fact!
  8. shmangzy

shmangzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Looking forward to the rest of the build
  9. chug1

chug1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting, seeing one go together from the ground up is giving a great perspective on what's actually important in the design.
    I agree that it looks pretty solid!
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i have been out on test drives, freeways and all around town. i am gonna need to re gear the final drive. i don't care too much about the top speed as long as i can go 65mph to 75mph when needed. my priority is good solid low gear for incline and getting the bike rolling. what do you suggest for the gear ratio. thanks. any links you can share would be helpful.
  11. angtlalaska

angtlalaska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amado the rig is getting closer towards powder coating - exciting. How is your transport trailer build coming?

I wouldn't think that your camper sidecar weighs more than one of DMC Expedition rigs or Claude's metal rigs. If so, there are several who have put in different FD's on their 1150GSA rigs for better low end performance. I think DaveBig on "Large CSM Hack, Small Schnauzer" had a long discussion on this issue.
    There is a thread in ADVrider about someone who picked up a special 1150 transmission with both a lower first gear (also maybe 2nd) but had a higher 6th gear so you got the help on the low end and didn't sacrifice on the high end. The guy who built the transmission is a legend in the air head and oil head circles. I couldn't find it but there should be someone here who knows how to find it.
    I think there are far more options for the 1150 than the 1200 with respect to FD's.

I will be back in SP in mid February. I will stop by so we can compare the ride of both rigs.
  12. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    It would be great to compare ride. Ezs is sending me a new lower arm to extend my lead about 1.5". The trailer/toy hauler is still in design phase but I have the initial design. I will look for davebig thread on gear ratio, he did suggest a gear ratio a while back. Also want to know what others are doing. I am happy with the way my rig is turning out just doing a lot of fine tuning and learning. Just got back from Baja California on the land cruiser, Death Valley is on the Horizone with the side car in the spring.hope to see you soon!
  13. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    twintwin, here is the measurement of my lead. thx IMG_5436 (1).jpg
  14. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This measurement alone do not give you any valuable clue. The trail value is related also to the angle of the lower part of the L.L. fork, the position of the ball joint on the lower bridge and the size of the tire. In my case, the L.L. fork was bent too much, so I got an extended swing arm to reduce the trail.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ground-clearance.921941/page-10
    Post # 186, for picture and EZS drawing.
    Regarding, the gear ratio, I have the EOM R1150GSA FD, I do not feel the need to upgrade yet, time and miles will tell.
    claude likes this.
  15. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Gear ratio's are about how one intends to use his rig ! If you anticipate being off pavement and rutted terrain where one wants to creep around things lower (numerically higher) will make it easier and but there's plenty of folks who do ok with stock final drives 31/11 !

Allot depends on how handy you are with your clutch !

There are a variety available for the 1100/50 series bikes R850 37/11 no abs early R1100rs had 34/11 most R11 based rigs used 33/11 they may a nice compromise there are some 32/11 around as RT used at set. I'm running a 33/11 currently and 175/65/15 rear tire I'd like it a little lower yet but with the GSA transmission they are not quite high enough for interstate operation.Currently installing a hybred transmission with a GSA low and the GS overdrive high.
    Another interesting fact BMW's R850 thru R1150 all used the same crank and rods they are all over square (bore is larger than stroke) they do ok being revved a bit higher !
  16. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i am using same size tires i just need to get handy with the clutch! i will leave it alone for now. tires.jpg
  17. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Windshield and tire rack and light cargo. wind shield folds and removable. thx tire rack and windshield.jpg windshield folded.jpg windshield.jpg
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    the camper, the windshield is also the structure to hold up the sunbrella canvas at the end of the bed pictured below. a 1" roll bar tube will also be added at the end of the seat back rest that is 3" to 4" inches higher than the rear tube. this will raise the canvas at that location. thx windshieldtent.jpg
    bmwhacker and claude like this.
  19. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i have a question. i am deciding between using thick canvas for the walls of the side car. the canvas that is used for convertible cars OR thin aluminum. what do you think? at this time i am leaning toward the canvas. anyone has experience with this? thx
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer: