Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    fingers cross, 3rd quarter of this year countries around the Mediterranean sea, up the Stans, silk road.... somewhere in that direction. thx
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Good for you now that's an adventure!!

I travelled around those places ..... cripes ...... 45 years ago :yikes

I've got this thing for high places, I'd love to go and do the La's one day .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mana La

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

besides the Khyber Pass I went through the highest tunnel in the world, Salang Pass in Afghanistan but that's only 12k feet

[​IMG]
    claude and Bobmws like this.
  3. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Thx for the inspiration. Mean while I need to get my rig done. My full time job gets in the way.
    claude likes this.
  4. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    my bike is r1150GS adventure, i just purchase 37/11 gear ratio, as i said above i don't care too much about top speed, i am mostly concern about low speed make it easy on the engine, transmission and the clutch, my tires are 175/65 R15 do you think i can get to 75mph cruising speed. when i ride i am mostly looking for the scenic route freeways as last options but i do want to get ahead of the trucks when i am on the freeway. in other countries most top speed is 80KPH and some gravel road. what do you think?
  6. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Hello and good day.
    I have a 2000 1150GS. I have installed the GSA transmission with the lower 1st and 6th gear set. I also have the 37:11 FD with ABS. It came off a R850R and has no tabs for the rear fender for the GS. I don't miss it.

I refer to my rig as the Honey Badger. Yes it is geared very low, but I have no trouble pulling away from a stop going up hill with a 1200 lb rig. That said, I do not ride much on the interstate anymore, as doing 70 is about tops for me. If I want to do that speed all day long I would find it very tiring. 65 mph is a good speed for the setup with a top speed of about 85 when needed to pass.

If you are looking for lower gearing you will find your RPMs will be higher. So too your gas and oil consumption.
    When I travel, I like to go about 60 mph on the top end. I see more, miss less and my 14 gallons lasts longer. That said, I ride off road more than most. I love the quiet solitude more than the A to Z destination mindset. But that's just me. I also have a sintered clutch. For me, it's a must with the heavy rig and rotten roads I sometimes find myself on.
    I look forward to your build report. Good luck in your travels...
  8. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    thx KCDakar, that is also how i ride slow and we like to "smell the flowers" our direction is heavily influence by people we meet on the ride. why did you use sintered clutch over all the other options? i been looking into clutch also.
  9. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Harder to burn one up, and if you get oil on it it still works. 1200lbs is a lot of weight to pull around when I'm loaded for travel and have a monkey in the tub. I was in the middle of a rebuild and needed to do the clutch anyway, so I just went all the way.
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    when to powder coating, should get it back by monday IMG_6857.jpg
  11. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    while my frame is being powder coated i swapped out my final drive with the 37:11 FD with ABS from a 850R. the swap was almost too easy. i decided to use the 850R ABS ring and brake rotor, see picture below first one is the r1150gsa abs ring the second is the 850R, i used my r1150gsa sensor. will this work? the third picture just showing the shaft will only go in one way for correct phasing, that made a big difference, this is the shaft from my r1150gsa.thx 1150gs abs ring.jpg 850 abs ring.jpg phasing.jpg done.jpg
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I've asked this question before over in the G-Spot section and got a lot of replies but none from anybody who knew the answer. My suggestion would be to buy a variety of the ABS shims, then try mounting the sensor really close to the cast ring, really far from the cast ring, then every place in the middle, and see if you get the ABS flashing light to turn off. If yes, then go out and see if you can lock up the rear wheel. If it won't lock up, then the ABS is working?

The sensor gap spec for both the 1150 slotted ring and the 850 cast ring is .45mm to .55mm.
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Now that I see the 2nd hoop for the sunbrella, I can't picture in my mind what it will look like going down the road. I'm looking forward to pics of the finished product.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The two different ABS rings are NOT interchangeable!! I found out with my Stoker wheel when he supplied the wheel with the cast ABS ring. I tried moving the sensor to obtain proper alignment and still no go. I ended up talking to who I was told is one of the top BMW wrenches here in Southern California about my problem. He said that the aluminum cast ring style uses an analog signal and the stamped steel ring uses a digital signal and the bike's CPU can't handle the difference. We ended up modifying a stamped ring with new tabs.
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm. If the OP can't get that ring to work, the #1 option is to use a slotted ring if he can get it to fit. The #3 option is to do what you did Strong. But I think the #2 option (inexpensive and easy) would be to splice in an 1100 sensor and see it it works. I'm not sure, but the connectors on the 1100's and the 1150's are so similar, maybe an 1100 sensor will plug right in with no splicing.
  16. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    No reason not to try!
  17. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    my red lites have always been blinking therefore my abs where not working. i am ok with that as long as i got a brake. the dealer says it cost 4,000 to replace my abs unit..... can not spend that kind of money.
  18. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I'll send you an iABS unit for free or you can be sensible removing it neither is inexpensive, both brake lite switches need to be changed and there maybe some work that has to be done at the connector or maybe not on the GS but then the brakes need to be replumbed in conventional matter. Sidecars ain't they fun and so inexpensive !:-)

One more thought, you may have to get someone to clear the ABS faults in the system before you can proceed.
  19. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    When I tried the incompatible ring, I wasn't worried about the ABS not working, it was the speedometer not working that was the issue!
  20. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    around here powder coating that frame would set you back $1000++

I had to pay $100 for just two lower honda fork legs