Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Yikes
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  2. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i am paying $350. delivered to my home
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  3. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    That sounds much better. Make sure they are prepping the metal well by blasting or dipping it.
  4. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a mini pickup that I put a camper shell on it. I used a blue tarp and framing for the sides. Then I headed to Alaska. After 400 miles of horrible noise I bought masonite and covered over the blue tarp to kill the noise.

I hope yours is better.

Don
  5. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    yes sand blasting and priming
    brstar likes this.
  6. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    delivered this morning 33 pieces .... looks good, covered up my ugly weldings nicely.
    frame.jpg tub.jpg
    claude likes this.
  7. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    i will try switching out the abs ring with mine see if that works, according to the dealer my abs unit is shot, so i will take you up on your offer of free abs unit :-)
  8. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    assembly is much easier, don't miss all the grinding and the welding. i think i have decided on a canvas sides for the tub, more to come on that later.

assembledframe.jpg
  9. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Have enjoyed following the progress you have been making. Your doing a great job and look forward to see the (near) end result.
  10. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    When removing the abs unit, just remove the mechanical part and leave the "brains". Then brake lights will work normally, onle the abs warning light has to be removed from the dashboard. This is the "steptoe" method.
  11. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Black duct tape. The NASCAR method. :-)
  12. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Ok Dave the iabs pump from my 04 GSA is on its way, priority mail. http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/abs-modules/
    These guys rebuild the newer and older versions but not the ones you or I have.
    I second the remove the ABS option mentioned earlier or at least researching removing it but the brake doe need to be replumbed, I did this at 82 k miles as the bike was all apart anyway.

Bobmws likes this.
  13. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Your HP has this removed also, is the K system similar? (saved for future reference!)
  14. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Yes Bob just packaged different, but on the K's they run the cruise control and speedo thru the printed circuit board in the ABS module,( look in a service manual at the electrical diagram, you'll be swearing) so I think they leave the pump in place turn the power off to it and replumb the brake lines in a conventional manner and "Bob's your uncle "
    On the GS they changed brake light switches and hook some wires together remove the pump and replumb no speedo or cruise.
    I wonder if the next generation module could be made to work 07 and later as those are rebuild-able. F**kin BMW and their consumers who demand the latest in technology ! It's not your uncle Bob's pathetically simple and reliable old airhead !
    Bobmws likes this.
  15. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    On going joke is those Nazis are still trying to get back at us. LOL. Seriously...Most manufactures today want you to bring stuff to the dealership to work on it.
    davebig and Bobmws like this.
  16. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Thanks davebig, yes got the ABS pump sorry i have not been able to follow these very helpful post . it is exactly same as mine (see picture). i am still deciding on the option i just have a few questions and still researching. one question is; if i took the ABS out will the front and rear brake on my 04 r1150 gsa continue to be link?

i will admit, going to a simpler system by removing the ABS and getting 7 pound lighter is an attractive option.
    ABS.jpg absdb.jpg
  17. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ceconite would work well for covering.
  18. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    very interesting stuff, i have started researching, wish i knew about this before i started on a path. see picture below, i have attached an "awning rail" at the bottom of the tub that will allow the canvas to slide out or removable. i am open to the ceconite option, i know it will not be removable but i like that it will shrink tight. i need to find out if i can attach it to the white polyester that you see on the picture. that is where the canvas was going to attach as you can see i am trying to illustrate on the picture. thx canvasside.jpg
  19. Dexter!

Dexter! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea... :lurk
  20. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    ceconite is great but i am too far along on the canvas set up so i will stay with the canvas. ceconite would have been a real option if i was not this far along. thx Crilly. her is what i did today. i was not that sure about the skid plate cause it added more weight but i can always take it out. assembled front.jpg assembled rear.jpg assembled skid plate.jpg