1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Building a sidecar "camper".

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by doublemocha, Nov 11, 2015.

1. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see this.
    Hope you get to do a new improved version.
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    :fpalm:fpalm
    Sorry to hear of you disaster Dave !
    doublemocha likes this.
  3. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    NO, It did not get installed. just got back from a 10 month trip. it was on the list to install in addition to other upgrades that where on the list. thx
    DRONE likes this.
  4. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    it will be a while but thinking about it
    brstar, FLYING EYEBALL and Bobmws like this.
  5. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sad to hear the news and even worse now I see the photos... Hope your insurance carrier does right by you. It will never pay back all the hours you put into building a great rig, but it might be enough to start on the next build.
  6. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    That's really sad. Such a cool rig.
    doublemocha and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  7. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have an idea of what caused the fire?
    doublemocha likes this.
  8. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Hello Davebig, I send you a pm. thx
  9. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :(
    doublemocha likes this.
  10. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    I want thank Freedom Sidecar. Yesterday, I spoke to Claude then Angie with in 30 minute Angie provided me with receipt for the subframe and the side car chassi. For my insurance company. Freedom Sidecar build my subframe and sidecar chassi in 2015.
  11. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    With the quality and innovation in that build you should do another, but starting over can be tough! :(
    doublemocha and Ridn3 like this.
  12. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    thinking about it, it will be a while thx
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  13. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you and your wife are safe and the fire didn’t happen when you were riding. The next one will be even better !
    FLYING EYEBALL and doublemocha like this.
  14. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    We want to thank everyone for your support we are still dealing with our insurance company Geico. We are hoping everything will go well.
  15. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Hello the saga with Geico is finally over.
    I am now starting the research to rebuild. I want to change the motorcycle from BMW 1130 GS Adv to a BMW R100 airhead if the cost is manageable. I just like the old simple stuff. I am trying to find out if I can use my current EZS leading link and rear tires and what I need to do to mount my Freedom Sidecar chassi to a BMW R100 airhead. There are other modifications I want to do but that is for later. Thank you again for your inspirations and support.
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't consider an airhead an alternative, not enough power and or gearing, instead I'd look for a less complicated 1150 before the power brakes etc there are a few around. The 1150 is 80 hp the r100 50 and the trans etc is allot more reliable than.DB
  17. doublemocha

doublemocha Nulla

Oddometer:
    Thx, which 1150 would that be? One that will just bolt on to my current set up. In other word same frame as the 1150gs adv. thx
  18. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    I really like my R100 Airhead based rig with R80 gearing and a Ural sidecar. It has adequate power for my uses but most of that is at speeds usually at 60mph or less. Even then you can tell the engine is getting a workout. When I come back from a ride on a warmer day the engine will make metallic tinking sounds for quite a while cooling down. It didn't do that as a solo bike. On the few occasions I run at 65-70mph for any lenght of time I feel like the labor the bike is doing physically wears on me. I wouldn't want to operate this bike with something heavier or pushing more wind than the Ural I have. I'm with Dave on this, the extra power from a 1150 or 1200 should really make a better rig. I do only have experience with this Airhead rig and I know many people use them much harder than me but that is my take.
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    Why me lord ? Has the cat got the rest of you yahoo's tongues ?
    2000-02 1150gs's had first edition abs easy to remove no power brakes but geared too high 31/11 final drive works best when paired with r858r final drive 37/11 final drive. 1150gsadv has the best transmission great gearing doesn't need the 37/11 as it's first and 6th gears are lower also comes with 8 gallon tank, drawback the iabs with power brakes can be removed but it requires a bit of doing and new brake light switches.
    There where some GS sports 2002 came without abs and lower 6th gear but 1st was too high and hard on clutches.
    You could also use a r1100gs from 98-2000 5spd trans would need 37/11 final drive can use the 8 gallon tank, you would have to use the lower fork bridge from the 1150 to use your leading links.
    Your forks wheels etc wouldn't work easily on r100. DB
    doublemocha likes this.
  20. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    I think the R1100R is a viable option. The rear brake rotor is on the FD which makes a rear wheel conversion easy, plus the R shares a frame with the GS. Lower final drives are available and the gear ratios work well for a rig. Only problem is they are over 20yrs old but share a lot of parts with the 1150. In my experience I feel they may be stronger than the 1150 except maybe for the dual plugged models. Trail reducers are readily available also. For me the oilhead is the best airhead I have owned. That statement ought wake some diehards up! :lol3