Building routes... Frustrating!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by 625SXC, Jul 6, 2018.

1. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So using HD Route Plannet to put together some local rides. Getting frustrated that it keeps trying to out think me and send me the most logical way. Well damnit if I wanted the easiest way I would just let the GPS auto route.

Which program will just let me build a route the way I want?
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    https://trips.furkot.com/register

For real try it, and its free.
    scfrank and CapeMan like this.
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mappite.org is fantastic and does not require a learning curve. IMO, Furkot has too much "baggage" to deal with if all you want is to just lay out a route.
    worwig likes this.
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    I use the crap out of a lot of that baggage, so there is that.
    slane6 likes this.
  5. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I understand - my intention was not to bash Furkot, sorry if it came across that way. Furkot is a great program - if you can use or need all the features. For just laying out a route and exporting to a device, I found it too cumbersome to use, much less learn. I like simple. :)
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Welp

Oddometer:
    Looking at it that is pretty handy.

Has the same pitfalls as Furkot, except I can't drag the track to where I want it. So maybe it saves time on shorter routes, but for a big multi-day affair where I need to know where to get gas and available camping, that is an issue.
  7. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I use Mappite to lay out very long routes, but yes, you have to "delete" waypoints instead of drag the route. It is a route planner, not a trip planner, that's where Furkot shines.
  8. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Furkot, export to OSMAnd. Annoyed by the frequent "turn left / right" on a curvy road but haven't found anything better yet.

I recently have been enjoying the Kurviger Pro app (I use my phone as GPS). Instead of building a route, I tell it where I want to go and let it pick a route, and have found quite a few nice roads that way.
  9. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have been using RouteConverter. Lots of functionality. Will convert a track to a route and vice versa. Will take a route and add intermediate points to make a followable track. All around a pretty cool program. No POI info though.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't use routes much except as the first step in creating a track. I use Mapsource and sometimes Basecamp.

These programs allow you to create the route one via point at a time. Like the OP I want to pick where the route goes, so I just put via points where I want it to go.
    It is obviously slower than just putting a start point and an end point and hope the software will read your mind and go where you want.

I do find that I sometimes have to go into Preferences and select what road type I want the route to take.

One good trick I have found is to put the via points in the middle of road segments and not at intersections.

I don't have a lot of experience with other routing programs, but all the ones I have tried have this feature of letting you create the route point by point.
    scfrank likes this.
  11. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Basecamp as well, it’s really quite easy once you learn a few key things, but I let it create the route automatically from a start and end waypoint and the drag it where I want it to go and then convert to a track.

If it’s a road section and I want spoken directions, I’ll insert via points to force the nav to follow the route exactly, and run the route and track simultaneously.
    atomicalex likes this.
  12. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminum boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I do with Basecamp. It's actually quite successful so far.
  13. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer

Oddometer:
    www.motogoloco.com

Uses google maps as the engine, so very easy to use. One tip: put in enough shaping points to make sure the gps device will follow the route you create. Also, once you create it, zoom in to make sure the shaping points are "directly" on the road...otherwise, you might go thru a parking lot, cemetery, etc...
  14. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    There's no getting around a learning curve as far as understanding how a computer generates routes. Your thoughts about how you want to route to go and the way a computer makes decisions may not match. The computer isn't going to change and I doubt you will find one that thinks the way you do. Not that there is anything wrong with the way you think. There may be inputs to your decisions that you don't realize. Decision making is logical, turn left, right, straight? The software makes these decisions using the preferences as they are set. There's no getting around understanding these criteria.

Sure, some software is easier to use than others. Some have a lot more capability than you want or need. Some meet certain needs better than others.

Take the time to learn what the software is doing. Look at preferences, ( no gravel roads, avoid interstates, etc.).

There is a lot of training available on the web. Use google.

I've spent many years developing routes on several different applications. I'm still learning. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
    wbbnm likes this.
  15. scfrank

Oddometer:

It's good to put shaping points just after turns. And yes, you have to zoom in and make sure the point is on the road and on the correct side of the road. I use Furkot to start, especially for a several day trip. Then I import into basecamp and "clean up" the points using 'show on map'.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Man that sounds like a lot of work using two different programs and ask the transferring. I guess I'm spoiled.
  17. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Furkot for overall planning of a long trip, it is great for overall trip length and day-to-day views.
    Then I use Basecamp to fine tune and make sure that the route still follows the route that I chose in Furkot.
    The main trick that I learned was to make sure the same map is installed on both Basecamp AND your GPS, as well as making sure the avoidances are set the same!

Also, here is one of the BEST tutorials for riders that you could ever find:
    Learn Garmin BaseCamp for PCs by New England Riders
    scfrank likes this.
  18. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Nah, I can generate a route pretty quickly. It depends upon whether or not I am going to distribute to others. I'm a bit more careful with those. I use basecamp if I'm sharing routes with GARMIN folks. That makes sure we have the same maps. It also depends upon how far the trip is. I like Furkot if there are stops, food, motel, etc. I know you're a big phone guy, but I think our use of routes is quite different. I have started using more tracks and like it a lot. It takes the GPS decision making out of the equation. It just displays the track and it's easy to follow. No turn by turn, but I don't need that. I can look at the track and decide which way to turn.

I also like a lot of the phone apps for following tracks. I'm using pocket earth pro now. Furkot can export tracks and they work fine with Pocket Earth. So, I don't always use basecamp.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with running stuff through Basecamp to make sure it works for the Garmin units, I always forget about the using-the-same-maps gotcha (routes) with that.

I've also switched to non guidance (no voice commands) routes and tracks, for probably the same reasons as you.... no recalculating, no annoying voice telling me to turn when "I'm exploring here, leave me alone lady!" I'd rather just keep going... and it transfers to others cleaner. pocket earth is ios only right ? cool, just trying to keep current with what the cool kids are rocking. ;-)
  20. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Cool kids? :jack

Yes, I have iPhone. Love it for everything else so it will do.

5 of us getting ready to go to RA rally on Wednesday. . Over 600 miles. I’ll see how well my route plan goes. I’ve got the route in my NAV and a track on the phone. I’ll See which one screws up first.