Building the Ultimate Adventure bike for me

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by racingxtc7, Jan 19, 2015.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    i'm in, just cause your getting more crap for this build than i did on the Harley. :rofl
    sounds fun, loved the 250 ninjas. this should be a hoot off road and in the canyons. :clap
    FR700 likes this.
  2. racingxtc7

racingxtc7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This week has been kinda crazy with being gone a week however I should be at the point of cutting the frame this weekend and I'll take pictures for sure.
  3. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    It looks like a bird:

[​IMG]

Sideview:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sooo looking forward to this. I love my ninja, cross country and back, but the motor could be so much better in a more dirt oriented frame. I wouldn't worry about the rpm's, you can kill 75mph even with stock gearing. This bike is fine cruising at 9,000+ for hours. I ran it at 80mph for about 2 hours across Utah one morning ear phones in iTunes on and all of a sudden realized I was only in 5th. It's really smooth wound up there.

One question, this could be something easy and above my simple mechanical comprehension, but how will you deal with the fuel pump...aren't these in tank, like maybe bolted in through the bottom? You will just convert to an external pump?

Will be watching this one very closely. Could easily get inspired by this.
  5. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Good info.

Yeah, I'm planning on running an external fuel pump but haven't figured out which one yet.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doggie pooch is spot on, great engine in a marginal package, the 300 deserved better!

Best of luck!

We had this same project due on the vine last year and it was a shame it hadn't happened yet so best of luck and get back to work! :lol3

:freaky

This should be the heart of a new klr650 btw. Kawasaki is blowing it by leaving it in only one model. :freaky
  7. RussellM

RussellM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed and looking forward to the results.

:lurk
  8. w33b8t1

w33b8t1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interesting
  9. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be following right along . I always tell my wife if I come into way to much money I would develop a 400cc Adventure bike from scratch . A V Twin with shaft drive and very good suspension with 7" of travel ( I am old and short ) With at least 4 gallon tank and a beefy rear sub frame . Anything with a wet weight of around 300 pounds and 30" seat height along with at least 2 cylinders . Sounds like your plans will beat anything the factories put out . Continue please .
  10. hadfield4wd

hadfield4wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to watch this. A couple of us have been thinking about a build like this.
  11. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Vt500ft with an aluminum subframe, 80s dirt bike susp, light weight tank ,light wheels ,plastic base seat ,how close woulld that be ? oh and light high 2 into 1 exhaust . :norton That 300 lb mark and twin cyl is tough I think with shaft . Spit ballin,Ed
  12. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the long delay. My machinist buddy still isn't finished with the frame. In the mean time I've been unable to get ahold of FourStrokesOnly to purchase the weld on passenger peg kit. Daylong has the seat scheduled for completion the first week in June. I still can't decide on the head light and windshield.
  13. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    this is pretty cool. I've attempted (and failed) to do a franken bike before.
    your skills seem far beyond my own. I wish I was blessed with welding and machining talent .. and electrical talent. Sadly ideas are easier than the execution and the bolts don't always line up with the holes!

what is your buddy doing to the frame ?
  14. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the support. Nothing new on the frame and motor however I did decide on passnger pegs and installed Yamaha R6 passenger pegs. I've been using my other CRF450R bike to mock up stuff:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. RBnite

RBnite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh no! it has been awhile.

Whats the word?

RBnite
  16. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Monday I'm stopping by my machinist friend's place and checking out what's new. I'll take some pictures.

Thermosman should have the suspension finished next week.

Currently, I'm trying to decide on tires. I put 908s on my Husaburg and they were good in the soft stuff and on pavement however I felt that the carcass was too stiff in hard packed dirt and rocks. Probably great on a heavier bike though. I lowered my pressures down below 10lbs to get traction. I was thinking of trying either the Desert Race or the T63 tires next. Any suggestions?
  17. leeagc

leeagc n00b

Oddometer:
    Been usiing Pirelli MT21 with great success - awesome grip on and especially off-road and really good wear for the performance. And cheap!
  18. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is Wednesday, just sayin'
  19. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Coming along slowly. Jig made to hold motor. Frame cut for valve cover. Temporary rear motor mount:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome