Building the Ultimate Adventure bike for me

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by racingxtc7, Jan 19, 2015.

1. cachorroLOUCO

cachorroLOUCO Banned

Oddometer:
    subscribed. that's the kind of stuff i signed in for:ear
  2. RBnite

RBnite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Notice you had to cut the frame. I know you did that to get the engine to fit but, what exactly needed to be moved, cut, repositioned.
  3. racingxtc7

racingxtc7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll take some pics and post them for you.
  4. racingxtc7

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

5. TheCheesus

TheCheesus Killing time

Oddometer:
    your seat seems to be made of woven gold.

Hard to tell from the pics, did you only have to notch the frame on one side? Assuming with the wider motor you had to push the motor towards the right (from the rider's position) to get the sprocket inside the frame rail.

could you snap a pic looking straight on from the back? I'd like to see the width / sprocket alignment.

Is there any particular reason you went with the Ninja 300 motor vs the CBR250R (proven in the CRF250L) thumper, which is bound to be a bit narrower? If the power lust got you, any reason the Ninja would be better than the CBR300R powerplant? My brother has a new-to-him CRF250L and I've ridden a CBR250R a few times and was surprised at the smoothness despite the single cylinder.
  6. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    The engine is centered but I'll probably have to get a custom offset front sprocket to align the chain. The motor isn't that much wider and the notch in the frame on the right side is for the bump on the valve cover for the cam chain. I could have gotten away without the notch but I wanted the motor as far back in the frame as possible.

The ninja 300 motor is a great motor and is basically a stroked ninja 250 which has been around for decades. I've ridden Ninja 250/300s and they're great on the highway and are super smooth.

For this build, I wanted a twin cylinder, street bike engine because of the smooth running, power and wider rpm range. I've been debating installing higher compression pistons, cams, porting and power commander which should bump the horsepower up to 45-50hp but I don't want to give up much reliability or gas mileage.
    TheCheesus likes this.
  7. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    I installed the seat on my CRF450R dual sport for a test fit. It feels really nice.

before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. cachorroLOUCO

cachorroLOUCO Banned

Oddometer:
    Def not a fan of the seat,but at 19yrs old,i still can afford to ride all day on a 10cm wide, thin piece of foam that some joker had the nerve to call a seat :lol3 looks more than comfortable :D
    mglsite likes this.
  9. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Enjoy it while you can. :lol3

I'm about to be 40 and I'm totally having seat envy on that dual Russell Day Long seat. I've had a Russell Day long on all 5 of my Vstrom's since 06 and ever since then, other seats just don't match up. My WR250R with a Renazco seat isn't bad, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm constantly lusting after putting a Russell on it.
  10. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    A new seat to fit my fat ass is the #1 thing on EVERY bike..

Live life,be yourself !!!!.
  11. cachorroLOUCO

cachorroLOUCO Banned

Oddometer:
    :lol3 will do. Check out my current seat. It's kinda ckmfortable but it's slippery,i need to change the cover for anti slip one

[​IMG]
  12. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'm not a fan of that seat design so I'd choose a Seat Concepts myself.
    But I do love the rest of the bike, it's about time someone posted a 300 build here. :clap
  13. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    This custom seat is going to be for cross country rides and I have a stock seat that will be on it most of the time.
  14. RBnite

RBnite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cool!! Keep going!
  15. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry if I missed it but are you using the engine as a stressed member? was there any possibility to get the engine into the stock cradle?
    what are you planning to run for an airbox? and how do the throttlebodies fit? must be tight under there.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pod filter on the 300 engine can only be described as

TOO BLOODY LOUD!

I hated it so much I bought an air box off eBay and reinstalled it. Total pita but GAWD it was stupid loud.
  17. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Yes, the engine will become a stress member. Making some pretty heavy duty motor mounts. There is no way to make the stock cradle fit. I'm going to use the stock crf450 air box but remove the rubber boot, install a plate and have tubes going from the plate to the throttle bodies, one on each side of the shock and use a shock with a remote reservoir. The frame does have to be pocketed on the inside of the rails to fit the throttle bodies. Lots of work.
  18. TheCheesus

TheCheesus Killing time

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clearing that up! Your reasoning-fu is strong and I'm loving the way the build is going. Keep up the good work!
  19. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting, not anything my big ass could ride, but looks like it's going to be great for a smaller rider than me. At 6'1"/ 250 I'd look like a gorilla on a tricycle. That seat has me though, it looks like a big comfy couch, in a good way though!

I like this kind of build, not too many understand why we would do this, just take seemingly random pieces and make it work. It's a feeling of accomplishment, some pride too, for me at least. To know that you gave it life, is a cool feeling.

Can't wait to see the end result. I'M IN!!
  20. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'm trying but slow process. The shock came in this week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: