Building the Ultimate Adventure bike for me

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by racingxtc7, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk Any progress ?
  2. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering myself, it looks like he was going good off the blocks, hope all is well.
  3. racingxtc7

racingxtc7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My machinist "friend" has had the frame for almost a year and it's not done yet.
  4. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    What was he even doing to it again? It's been a while.
  5. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is why I just pay for my work.

MV
    pennswoodsed and mach1mustang351 like this.
  6. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    He's making the motor mounts.

Sadly, I am paying him for it but I think because I'm a friend that I'm low on the priority list.
  7. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I have a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 (shocking I know). After I bought the car it was my daily driver for about 2 years. I took it out of service for about a year while I built an engine for it and re worked the suspension. I had it on the road less than 1,000 miles. My buddy calls me up and says "I need a project for my advanced painting degree, if you want your bike painted, this semester is the time" I drove my car over to the shop and we stripped it down to nothing. It is just the body on a rotisserie. At the end of the 18 week semester the driver front floor board was removed, and all the paint removed.... thats it.

Took my daily driver 400 hp car and made it less than useless. I still haven't 100% forgiven him. That was when I decided that I dont have friends do my work.
    redneckK20, MATTY, Kiba and 1 other person like this.
  8. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    We've made some progress on the frame and have made some decision on the build. I decided on a stock Ninja 300 radiator, Pro Moto billet kick stand and a Baja Designs Squadron LED headlight (for now anyways).
    brownvv likes this.
  9. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have been waiting on some progress on this one. its going to be a great bike
    racingxtc7 likes this.
  10. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    I know this build is taking forever. Some of the parts have come in:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Te Hopo likes this.
  11. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    I thinking of going with Continental tkc80 tires which will give up some in the dirt however last the mileage I'm looking for.

I still haven't decided on a windshield. Want some thing adjustable and/or easy to remove. Ideas?

The rear wheel is up in the air. Should I get a cush drive rear wheel? Anyone use Warp9 wheels?
  12. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I made this contraption. I like to build stuff and wanted to tie the hand guards together like "Highway Dirt Bikes" set up. Should have bought their's. It would have been cheaper and a lot easier. The screen is from a 1200 Tiger Explorer. It works very good. Maybe too good for here in the south. Might be just right for your area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    I would definitely recommend a cush drive. It will save a lot of wear on your chain if you're riding on pavement.
  14. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    The TKC front is OK, the rear I don't care for. The IRC TR8 front tire is better off road & almost the same on. The Mefo Explorer is a much better rear tire IMHO for what you described doing with the bike.

It's not a windshield, but I have used these ADVMonster fairings on a couple of builds, they block a lot of wind.

[​IMG]
    pinkius and DiggerD like this.
  15. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I really like my hdb rallye lite. I like the it points away from my face so I don't feel like I am riding a guillotine. its tough as nails and throws the wind much higher than I expected. I am 5 10 and it puts it right in the middle of my helmet
    Te Hopo likes this.
  16. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the tire and fairing/windshield advice.
  17. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is that bike yours? I like it, is there a story to it? (Basis, Build-thread...?) :)
  18. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
  19. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki now has the Versys 300 which will be a great bike for everything other than single track riding. This project bike is will have double the suspension travel and weigh a 100 lbs less. The motor mounts are coming along but will still need a custom skid plate and exhaust. I did finally decide on MotoZ Enduro I/T
    tires after way too much research.
    Te Hopo likes this.
  20. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a national shields windshield, topped with a spoiler from mad hornets, ($65)was advertised as a Givi , between the two great coverage, Im 6-3+, even side winds, what I really like is with the clear shield mounted high , just to the middle of the gauge panel , I can see but a few feet in front of the wheel seated.
    Got the shield discounted for $110 deliver tp the local independent parts shop.
    the mounting viberate loose at the bottom clamp, so I wrapped the fitting with teflon tape and that has held well.
    Have an old Vetter fairing install instructions, which says to mount so the shield is at the same angle as the forks, works well.