Building the Ultimate Adventure bike for me

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by racingxtc7, Jan 19, 2015.

1. 65matt

65matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @racingxtc7 cool swap. Im going to do the same swap to my DRZ400. I actually got my engine in today! I agree with your goals. I'm not going for all out power, but I am very excited about an engine with lower vibration, EFI, wide ratio gears, a slipper clutch, and light weight.
    Te Hopo and racingxtc7 like this.
  2. racingxtc7

racingxtc7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made some more decisions and ordered some stuff.

I've been researching tires endlessly for the last 2 years. I decided to try out the MotoZ enduro I/T for my first set of tires. 80/100-21 front, 110/90/19 rear. Some day in the future I'll order a 18" rear wheel with a crush drive but for now I have a lot of other things to worry about.

Went with the MSR Hard Parts rear sprocket because it's almost as light as aluminum however lasts much longer.

Picked up a DID 520VT2 narrow Enduro chain which is a x-ring, designed for off-road.

I've been calling my machinist friend regularly and it seems like he's making progress on the frame. Once the frame is done, I still need to figure out the exhaust, skid plate, air box, electronics, fuel pump, etc, etc, etc.

For the exhaust, I was originally thinking a down pipe, like a dakar bike. However, now I've been thinking about running the exhaust like the stock crf450r exhaust and using a crf450r FMF muffler with the spark arrester and quite insert. Ideas?

Does anyone know the specs on the stock kawasaki ninja 300 fuel pump? And/or know a comparable inline fuel pump?

The air box, I'm planning on removing the boot, installing an aluminum plate with flanges and using rubber hoses to the throttle bodies.

There seems like a large space above the trans, below the throttle bodies so I'm going to try to put the battery and some of the electronics there.
  3. 65matt

65matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's what I've found on the fuel pump, its a T35 pump: http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23443...40-0713.html?gclid=CO7ng9ChqdECFY66wAodmJkBEQ

My plan was to install the pump inline between the petcock and the Fuel rail. I dont see a return line on my throttle body or the parts Fiche.

I am also going to try to reuse the DRZ side exhaust and muffler (if it will fit between the frame and the cylinders), and just join the two pipes into one before mating with the DRZ exhaust.

Do you have any pictures of your modified frame? I have been measuring my EX300 engine and my DRZ frame. I figure I am going to have to cut away the bottom of the DRZ frame. The engine hangs so much lower, I figure I will lose an inch or two of ground clearance. I was thinking of compensating by increasing the preload on my rear shock. I am OK with losing a couple inches of clearance because I dont do hardcore trails.

I thought about trying to convert the 300 engine to dry sump, I figure that would save a few inches off the bottom, but I just dont feel like there is an easy way to do that.

I also found an old thread here called 'versys 300' where a guy had considered the 300 swap in his DRZ, but ultimately didnt go through with it. Lots of good information in that thread! Here's the link: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/kawasaki-versys-300.906246/
    racingxtc7 likes this.
  4. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the pump info. I think the frame pics are on the third page of this thread. The 500 didn't seem like it would fit a singles frame. The 300 really doesn't fit and lost about 1 1/2" of ground clearance.
  5. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
  6. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    So, apparently, photobucket now wants $50 a month for picture hosting and sharing. Anyone have recommendation?
  7. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I use Flickr. So far, they're still free, and it works pretty good.
    REALGRAVEROBBER and racingxtc7 like this.
  8. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    I'll check them out. I'm investigation google photo right now.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smugmug, check it as well.
    RiverCitySlicker likes this.
  10. RiverCitySlicker

RiverCitySlicker Completing The Worlds Longest Top End Kit Install

Oddometer:
    I will second smugmug. It works great and is easy to use.
  11. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Unless things have changed, your subscription to SmugMug helps keep this forum ad free since it's owned by the same people. I love supporting ADV. Smugmug is great and I've been using it for years. I have a coupon link in my signature.
  12. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    News update. Well, I've fired my friend. He's had my bike for three years and he still hasn't finished the motor mounts. I'm picking up the bike tomorrow and already have another machinist lined up to finish the work.
    Pezz_gs, brownvv, Te Hopo and 2 others like this.
  13. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    The rear mount is finished.

Attached Files:

Slytheslayer, TobyG, MotoPolo and 4 others like this.
  14. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    Here is the subframe after re-inforcement and passenger pegs:

Attached Files:

15. racingxtc7

Oddometer:
    I went through the thread and attached pictures where some of the hosted pics were.
  16. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:

I'd like to encourage people who post to Adventure Rider to NOT post links for their photos. I'm not sure what happens over time but I think the site hosting the photos goes belly up, bills are not paid,etc. This looks like an exciting build but the lack of photos is frustrating and spoils the presentation. Please post directly to AdvRider Its easy to do

Cheers
    loganlexow likes this.
  17. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Until recently, that just wasn't possible; a photo-hosting site was the only option. If it is now possible to paste pictures directly into a post, life just became fractionally easier!
    Thanks for the tip.

Cheers... Paul
  18. BlueHeart

BlueHeart Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been "doable" here for a couple years or longer. :ricky
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW, there is a fix for the STUPID photobucket error. There are add-on's for FireFox and others that fixes most. For some reason it doesn't fix the photos in this thread.

Search for> photobucket embed fix
  20. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.