Building the ultimate support truck (and family camper)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by seancampbell, Jun 24, 2018.

1. fryingpanman

fryingpanman confused

Oddometer:
    Nice project, is it 24 volt ? do you need a 24 to 240v inverter ? Pm me if you need details
  2. seancampbell

seancampbell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20180706_090117.jpg

I'm back....

But the home computer has shat itself so don't expect any more content until I sort that out. Typing on the phone sucks.

Sean
  3. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    Nice, bit dusty as sweep?
    I have climbed to the top of that hill behind you.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  4. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    Yes... and that was after swimming in all my gear at Fruit Bat Falls.

Did you swim over Darren?
  5. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    Fark no, lots of things that like the taste of you in that water, plus the current convergence was insane. We went across in a little tinny, went for a walk, collected some black lipped oyster then came home. It was a long time ago though, the tip resort was still operating.
    Sfcootz and troy safari carpente like this.
  6. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    Isn't that one of the greatest experiences in the Adventure riding world?
    The whole of the Cape York experience had lots of superlatives in it, but Fruit Bat Falls was the best!
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Brian
  7. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Went on a tour of the cape a fair while back just at the start of the wet and we had a swim here in all our gear. I must say it was a bit of an anti-climax, but that might have had something to do with the 8" of rain we got overnight when we camped and the floods that we rode through to get there. Didn't have any dust to wash off, but we learnt how to ride fast through a flooded section of road.
  8. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    OK, no home computer yet but let's see if we can pick up again on the story.

Last time I left you I had the kitchen and pop-top sorted... still a few more things to do before we head of for our first big trip.

We had the fuel range but no water storage. I looked at caravan water tanks but they didn't fit where I wanted them to so I started to look at custom water tanks.

I found Atlas Tanks and they had a great range of stock shapes and sizes.

http://atlastanks.com.au

The best thing was, you can order the inlets and outlets in any size and wherever you need them.

I ended up with 100L stashed between the chassis rails right at the back where I wanted the weight.

20160827_171647.jpeg

You will notice the emergency drain bung at the bottom corner. This is a failsafe feature just in case the water pump craps itself. I can screw in a tap and still access the water.
    Sfcootz, Nick MN, Tomdog and 7 others like this.
  9. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats smart. Simple and smart.
    Im enjoying these builds.
  10. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    There were a few more small last minute jobs like making jerry can holders for the tailgate but as time was running out (and for some reason I decided to try using galvanized steel.... it sucked, I ended up buying some cheap ones and did my best "metal bird shit" job of putting them in place the morning I was leaving.

I did say "last minute jobs"
  11. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    Another last minute job and an idea I half stole from another Canter driving friend was the firewood rack for the front.

20170611_155247.jpeg

A couple of lengths of reo bar, a vice and a big hammer.
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  12. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    20170626_173109.jpg

Works surprisingly well.

Just remember to start looking for wood a little before you get to your camp site.

Also.... a big tip.... don't put anything too long in it. And definitely don't put anything too long in it and fail to pull way off the road when some dick in a Commodore thinks he owns the outback and drives in the middle of the dirt road.

I do remember that a lot of the wood had red paint on their broken off ends that night!
    nk14zp, Sfcootz, phreakingeek and 4 others like this.
  13. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    Oh... that photo of the firewood rack attached to the bullbar reminded me of how I made the bullbar..... that's right MADE... or "adjusted to fit" would be a better term.

I wanted a more substantial bar than the stock one... something to mount lights on (eventually) and maybe a winch (this idea has faded due to cost and weight). Having zero budget left and not liking the big Mac truck type ones that maybe I could get cheaply I started thinking....

Then I remembered that one of my many $500 Ford XD/XF utes that I've had (cheap, rough but reliable enduro bike transport) had a big steel bull bar on it. I took it off the ute when I got it as that car needed all the help it could in the weight reduction/fuel economy stakes.

I looked under the house... in my Aladdin's cave of stuff the wife doesn't know about... and sure enough there it was... laying between to the rolling chassis of a Husky 360 and a "CIG locked" XF diff.

I pulled it out (when wife was at work) cut off the end hoops that obscured the Canter headlights and it almost fit straight on.

The end of the bar turned 90° to align with the Falcon front guard so that was cut off and rewelded on at 45° to meet the front corner of the Canter... Perfect!
  14. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that the day I did a cadbury? I have no memory apart from waking up on the ants nest (:

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
  15. shakes510

shakes510 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing man. That thing planted a big seed when I got the wr off you (still going strong)
    This thread has made me look even harder at my options
  16. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    Hey, great to hear from you.

The truck is still evolving and being "tested". Let me know if you want any pointers or advice.

Sean

P.S. that WR is one of the only bikes I actually regret selling because of its versatility. ( I do have 3 to make up for it now though)
  17. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dr AT likes this.
  18. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    The story continues on the day of the first big trip.

The truck was "finished" enough for us to head off on our first family adventure holiday. The destination had been chosen... The wife wanted: somewhere not too far from home on the NSW Central Coast, somewhere where help, mechanical or otherwise was easily available and somewhere that her and the boys hadn't been to before.

As usual with any of the list of things she gives me, I only delivered on 1/3 of what she wanted (this ploy has worked great for many years... things like "I want all these things done around the house before you go riding".... "but Hunny, I only had time to do this one job (always the easiest and quickest) and just popped out on the bike for a short ride when I had finished")

We were heading for Cape York!

I elected to drive up to Cairns myself and fly the wife and kids up so they didn't miss too much work and school. I exaggerated the driving time, and the wife wanted me to be safe and take my time but after 3 days of driving I had arrived in Cairns. Nothing to do for 3 days before the family arrives so I better go on a 3 day dirt bike ride with friends.
    nk14zp, River Rat, Tomdog and 8 others like this.
  19. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    The family arrives in Cairns.

We pack the truck full of fuel, food and water and head North.

TeleTrack2.jpg
    River Rat, Sfcootz, Cruz and 3 others like this.
  20. seancampbell

Oddometer:
    One of the things that I learned on the trip from home to Cairns was that a fully loaded bar fridge on a bumpy road will eject all of its contents onto the floor. Not only that, but the contents will roll into the internal step behind the entry door so that the first time you stop and open the camper door all your perishables are now scattered on the road around your feet!

A quick stop at the next town with a Bunnings and I had purchased a sliding door deadbolt to secure the fridge door to the floor of the truck.... problem solved.

See how easy that was..... imagine having the wife and kids wanting something out of the fridge at the end of a long day on the road... and that happened.
    Dukehunt and LivingdeadCamo like this.