Bulb holders

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by CAW, Jul 9, 2018.

1. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am reinstalling a stock gauge cluster on my R65. I am wondering if anyone has a good source for bulb holders for the instruments. Th three I am looking for are the backlight bulb for the speedometer and the two indicator bulb for the turn signals. OEM and alternative suggestions welcome. I was looking at the Volkswagen Beetle bulb holders as they look similar, but thought I would ask about other’s experience before I started experimenting.

Cheers,

CAW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. georgesgiralt

georgesgiralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I bought some from one of the usual suspects but can't remember which one? They are NLA at BMW.
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
  4. Geezerrv

Geezerrv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a VW holder in I believe the clock. My memory is poor but I know I robbed it out of my beetle.
    CAW likes this.
  5. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    CAW likes this.
  6. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the part I’m looking for. I’m in the New England. Maine to be exact. I’ll see if I can find a stateside seller. Thanks for the info.

7. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve looked through the Kat dash products before. Unfortunately, like many of he things on the early r65, the dash is different from other airheads and his products don’t help me.

8. georgesgiralt

georgesgiralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While you are at it, I kindly suggest that you put LED bulbs in the speedo and tacho for general illumination. And buy a couple of small LED bulbs from Katdash for the clock and voltmeter. This way, you will SEE the exact speed you are driving and the odometer...
    Pay a special attention when you get the LED bulbs that they may cause a short into certain bulb holder and find a way to attach the bulb to the socket for the speedometer. Mine got into the speedometer and I had to open it up to recover the bulb... a PITA.
    I hope this helps.
  9. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ll probably stick with the old fashioned hot wire bulbs in the speedo, and I don’t have a voltmeter or clock. I don’t use the speedo for much other than checking my speed if I see police or if someone is on my tail to see if I am riding too slow. Plus I find a darker dash improves my vision on the road (I live where there are few streetlights). 28 years of riding the same bike has given me a sense for how the bike should be sound and feel in certain environments. I am going to put some LED bulbs in the turn signal indicator spots to be sure it catches my attention if I leave one on. Thanks again for the info,
    CAS

10. Geezerrv

Geezerrv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an issue of all 4 LED t/s bulbs flashing due to current crossing the single indicator bulb in the cluster. I added 2 small diodes to cure it. (83 RS)
    CAW likes this.