Bulldog DS ride @ Willimina, OR 8/18/2002

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Curmudgeon, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Could be fun and it's a week from this Sunday. The C course is reported to be perfect for easy fun on the GS. I'm hoping my skills and the Tourances will permit me to have fun on the B course. The more the merrier. There'll be a heavy contingency from.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oregon_DSR/

And they think that GSes are for Old Slow Fucks. They don't come out and say it, but you can read it in their condescending opinions of the capabilities of the GS with it's bulk. A good rider could show them that light weigh bikes are merely a crutch for the under skilled, but currently, I haven't such skill or the required Knobbies. The A course isn't practical because one of the requiered bush wacking techniques is dragging the biike over a 3 foot log. Not good for my high maintance sweety... my GS.

Patrick
  2. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I'm there!
    Knobbies on the R100PD
    I intend to "reset" their opinion of the GS.
    Jorge
    Hey Juijitsu....you listening?
  3. Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Kewl, just the responce I was hoping for. Jutitsu where are you?

Patrick
  4. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    Yeah Im there too, but Im a little worried my roll chart isn't going to make it. And we better sign up fast as he is only doing 60 riders.
  5. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    ORDER the chart holder today with UPS 3 day. Outfit is in Seattle, $29.00 + shipping. Madman Weeks and Michael are also going to enter.

Chart Holder
  6. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    I have reserved 5 sports for club riders. We can sign up at the gate.
  7. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Patrick,

I own the Oregon_DSR, and have never once seen a post where a GS has been bashed or put down.

The group is for ALL d/s bikes, no matter what make they are. We have members that own GS's, Tiger's, KLR's, Cagiva's, DR's, XRL's and so and so on.

Bike bashing is a waste of time IMO, we all love to ride, hence the reason we all own bikes.....

I think the fact that some bikes are heavier and bigger than others, obviously restricts them from what kind of terrain they can ride on, thats all.

You show me a post on the DSR, where someone has deliberitly bashed a BMW or any bike for that matter, and I'll show you a group with one less member, if they don't appologize.

Dave
    Salem OR
    PS ... C course = EASY ... B course = Tricky ... A course = HARD ... AA course = Last Rites :-)
  8. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a spare Roll Chart Holder, I'll bring it with me, so if anyone doesn't get theirs in time, you may borrow it. So long as you don't run off with it :-)

Also, you may be able to buy a holder at the event, I've never been to an event that hasn't had at least a few for sale.

Dave
    Salem OR
  9. Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    And I said:

"They don't come out and say it, but you can read it in their condescending opinions of the capabilities of the GS with it's bulk."

So, we agree.

You run a great group on Yahoo, and I was just trying to bait my fellow GSers into come out and joining the fun. How better than to throw down the gauntlet? If we come ready to rumble, then we'll make a better showing, because I know you guys always rock.

See you Sunday, and I could use your strip chart recorder, or I'll buy one on site if possible.

Patrick
  10. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a level 3 fire alert on all BLM and ODF land in the Tillamook forest right now, which means NO OFF ROAD riding is allowed.

Hopefully this alert will drop down to a level 2 come the time of the Bulldog.

If they get a level 2 alert then the Bulldog will have .. A, B, and C courses. If it stays at level 3 then there may only be a C course.

Keep ya fingers crossed.

Dave
    Salem OR
  11. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fire Alert back down to a two. All systems are green for GO.

The Bulldog will once again have the A, B, and C, course's ... YEAHHHHH

Dave
  12. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    Should the GS guys go B class? The ones you rode with?
  13. Dakar-Dave

Dakar-Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sexy JuJu Baby,

Thats kind of a hard question to answer. Reason being, when we rode together, we only did a little gravel and pavement.

But I'll give it a shot, here goes.

By all rights a "C" course should be near enough excatly what we did on that ride to Nestucca, pavement and gravel, and some hard packed dirt, nothing too hard, maybe a few rocks and such around, but all in all pretty easy.

But a "B' course will for sure be harder, and should contain some single track, and a few technical sections in it. You might even find a water crossing, or a tight wooded run. It really all depends on the ride organizer, and what they beleive to be an "A" "B" and "C" course's.

I have rode mostly "B" courses since I started event riding and would say that a just above average rider with a big bike should be able to do a "B" course.

Just remeber dualsport events are not races, so you will have plenty of time to ride the whole route.

If you guys start out on the "B" course and find it too hard, don't sweat it, just bail out to the "C" course, I have done this on two occassions, and theres no shame in going down a level.

Not wanting to sound like I'm knocking GS's, but those bikes are big and heavy, so you will have your work cut out for you on any of the technical stuff, just remeber to bring a lot of water, lose the saddle bags and anything else that adds weight, make sure you have some fairly good knobbies or aggresive dualsport tires, take your air pressure down, it will make a difference on the garvel and dirt.

Hope this helps. You should all be ok, I'll point Ray or Dan out to you when you get there, and youcan ask them about which course would best suit you, they are a couple of ace riders and the organizers of the Bulldog, there'll be more than happy to tell you about the course before you ride it.

Dave
    PS .. And don't forget to wave to me when I go zooming by ya :-) hehehe
  14. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    Yeah B clas was a workout, I switched to C and rode home with a Third Place Trophy. Michael (Dag Nab it) smoked Us all and went home with First Place Best of show. Well done , what a great day.