Bump on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by phillyrube, Sep 12, 2018.

1. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden that road from one end to the other numerous times. The biggest problem there is not the curves or the scenery, it is trying to stay below the speed limit. Almost all the curves are gentle sweepers that even the most evil handling bike I owned would have no trouble taking at 70 mph. There are a couple of decreasing radius turns but, even at their tightest, are nothing a competent rider should not be able to handle at well above the 45 mph limit. Law enforcement is scarce at best and easy to spot. My normal goal there is to average 50 without going over 60 which sounds simple until you try it. A moving average isn't too hard but you will need fuel which will kill your average. It is much harder than it looks and brakes are a big no no. The rangers will not hassle you at 50, you might get a flash of the wig wags but they aren't gonna turn around and chase you, 60 might get you a ticket though and they are expensive.
  2. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    How the hell do you wreck on the Spiral??
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Hit the bridge piling on the outside of the bottom of it, thats how.
    phillyrube likes this.
  4. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must have been playing with his gps or "infotainment system." I've gone up and down that thing a dozen times, I don't see the degree of difficulty
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Nor I but he couldn't maintain the line going topto bottom.
    phillyrube likes this.
  6. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    From our keyboards and monitors, we're all totally expert riders who have never erred!!! :lol3

Interesting how that always seems to be.... :augie
  7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the cop who investigated the accident seemed to find a real problem:

“My investigation revealed the bump in the parkway was the main contributing factor to the cause of the accident,” National Park Service investigator Cody Skyler Marsh wrote in his report, which included some of his own personal experiences.

On the way to the wreck scene, “I happened to travel over the bump and even stated out loud ...’I didn’t see that coming,’” Marsh wrote “I believe a contributing factor besides the imperfect road surface is the fact that the (warning) sign is very close to the bump itself ... It’s possible that by the time an operator sees and reacts to the sign that they have traveled over the bump.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article218154650.html
  8. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want a real challenge, take some of the roads leading off the Parkway and down into the surrounding towns. Actually not so much a challenge but interesting as they climb or descend the various grades. Meandering and somewhat more twisty than running the top of the ridges.
    bikerjim2000 likes this.
  9. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like he has a pretty good case.
  10. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I doubt it, the hurricane is going South now just like this thread!:photog
  11. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Blue ridge dirt bike trail?
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    All I could think of was Warren Zevon... "Send lawyers, guns, and money"... :gun2

Probably due to ABS, right? :photog
  13. Zebraranger

Zebraranger MotoMore

Oddometer:
    I totally agree, been there many times and I'm actually heading back up there in five weeks (hopefully not many rock slides or washouts from the storm). If you're new to the area or not, you have to pay attention and stay alert riding mountain roads thru national forests.
  14. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I see a "Bump" sign, I'm prepared to deal with it from the point I pass the sign until I've encountered an actual bump.

To me the pertinent question is "How far away can you see the sign?"
  15. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    For some reason they took those down?? There were a series of them between MM 327 and 313, spiral Curves, but no mas.
  16. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    People steal them as souvenirs. It's a big problem.
    tireatr likes this.
  17. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump 3.jpg

The Bump is right at the last arrow, so it is very close to the "Bump" sign.

Bump 2.jpg bump1.jpg

BUT.....

There is another sign before you get to the turn warning of the bump that appears to have been there in June 2016.

bump 4.jpg
    jethrocephus likes this.
  18. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh and a slow dangerous curve 25 mph sign just before that. (didn't he say he was going 40-45?)
    Assuming all of these were in place in June 2016 before the September 2016 accident.

Bump 5.jpg
  19. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    That must be some bump, if it heaved the road enough to move the double white line to the left what looks to be about 3 inches? (3rd Photo).

Being part of the National Park Service, they - the BRP - also have certain Federal Government Protections from lawsuits such as this one. The idea is to preserve the forest and it's environs, provide a preserve for natural habitat animals, and at the same time allow visitors to enjoy the National Park... at their own risk.

If a bear attacked you, do you think you could sue the Park Service for negligence? If you were hiking, and a tree limb fell and injured you - do you think a lawsuit would win? Entering a Preserve such as this presents obvious levels of risk, and the signage is very adequate as warning(s).

They are protected by Federal Law in circumstances like this.
    lucky13gsa likes this.
  20. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I want to stay far away from that mess. Too many twits. The Highway Thru Hell is way safer.