Bump on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by phillyrube, Sep 12, 2018.

1. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the way he bears no responsibility for the outcome. "The bump turned the motorcycle". He had a passive role in piloting the motorcycle but has an active role in the lawsuit.

I remember most bump/dip signs and such being right close to the bump/dip. You are riding along and you see a warning sign coming up so you slow down and see what it says is going on. You don't start reacting as you pass the sign. And how long does it take to drop anchor from 45 mph?

2. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    He could have been doing this:

[​IMG]
  3. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell here in AZ we could probably do a class action for the.sorry condition some of our roads are in.....

But we take the risk to ride or drive on them....and it's our duty to negotiate them a safely as we can irrespective of who is supposed to maintain or warn us about the lack thereof.
    kwthom likes this.
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Its never "my fault" in the USA. Its always someone else's fault. I still have not seen the video of the bump, but pictures of the bump don't cause me to go uh-oh. I have ridden Wisconsin roads for nearly five decades and I'm pretty certain I've dealt with many road surface issues equal or worse. Don't want me on the jury of a rider crash. Many a rider "just" survives their daily ride, and assumes they're a decent rider. Not so.
  5. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Any attorney (representing the sort of plaintiff being discussed here) worth his salt would use voir dire to disqualify me from juror service. All he or she would have to know is that I ride a dual sport motorcycle. That's not meant as a boast. Rather, it serves as an insight into how I might -- and likely would -- hear, analyze and process the testimony of one of the legion of cruiser riders "bikers" that populate the local highways and byways in the jurisdiction in which I live and by extension in which the case is heard.
    William Wolfen likes this.
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Was it this bump?
    Florida Lime likes this.
  7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    A sign for each bump? This is how they do it here. Rough_Road_Next_10_Miles_BEST_VCFVCF2.jpg
    Bar None and William Wolfen like this.
  8. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell here in AZ we could probably do a class action for the.sorry condition some of our roads are in.....

But we take the risk to ride or drive on them....and it's our duty to negotiate them a safely as we can irrespective of who is supposed to maintain or warn us about the.lack thereof
    kwthom likes this.
  9. kokemill

kokemill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe the white line offset is an artifact from Google stitching the street view image together? If you use street view you see that effect often.
    Colorad0, TheProphet and 250senuf like this.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Blue Ridge Parkway road surface has always presented those in charge of maintaining it with challenges. Holes, heaves, rock slides, etc.

I hope the rider does not win their case.

1) Because ultimately every individual is responsible for their own safety against passive recognizable hazards.

2) I hate the current onslaught of lawsuits that ultimately result in new rstrictions and closures that prevents the public from enjoying something simply because the lowest common denominator managed to obtain an attorney.
  11. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Ha, Maine? I thought that was a picture from any of 10 highways here in north east Wisconsin. Then, add in the gravel kicked out onto any turn (farm equipment), and then add in the road debris (horse pies, mud from farm fields, droppings from slurry tankers), THEN add in the frost heaves, broken pavement, tar snakes, gullies worn into the lanes from over loaded trucks/farm equipment and every road would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. My MSF students ask me how to plan for these issues, and I say just expect them always and scan/search for the best clean line.

When I finish a MSF class I always tell my students any road issue/traffic issue is THEIR responsibility FIRST to consider as most riders ride themselves into their own troubles. The more a rider accepts ALL the issues of riding onto him/her self first, the better the rider becomes to surviving riding. Never taking the blame means the rider will always be seeking how others made the crash happen.
  12. Veteran Noob

Veteran Noob Astoundingly Unremarkable

Oddometer:
    His pipes weren't loud enough.
  13. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    So that bump caused him to loose control and crash? If I were on the jury I'd question his ability to control his bike in general. Control of a bike is not just what the bike is doing at the moment, it is FAR more what the rider is doing to control the bike BEFORE any road issue is under the bike. I'd have to see the bump, the turn, the road before the bump, the posted speed, visual tips from the road and terrain. So was the rider operating at or below the posted speed limit? Was the rider pushing his abilities a bit and then the road issue used up all his abilities/options? Sorry, in my book the rider is the FIRST source for fault in all road issues, AFTER the rider is cleared of fault, then the other issues are considered.
    lucky13gsa likes this.
  14. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have done the BRP 5 times since 1996, but after reading THIS:

https://www.citizen-times.com/story...h-fatality-blue-ridge-parkway-year/506803002/

I'm hesitant to return. Seems like it's become so overly popular that it's become a dangerous free-for-all.

Read: 350 to 360 wrecks every year, 4 deaths, and 8 Suicides!!! It reads like an accident waiting to happen.

I think the parkway is old and outdated. Back when it was first designed / built (started in 1935, apparently ended around 1966?) , folks didn't drive much over 20-25 miles and hour, and it was relatively rare for someone to venture out that far in the wilds, therefore traffic was sparse.

Fast forward to today, where everyone drives like a madman, everyone is in a hurry, and everyone has much more free time to race through these parks. Parks rarely turn folks away, because it's a currency generator. Unfortunately, the road designs and speed limits aren't in tune with todays vehicles, and too many visitors increases the likelihood of an accident. Imagine for a moment how many are on their phones, texting, or snapping iPhone pics!!

Maybe they should limit how many vehicles are entering the park per hour or something like that. If you "search" the Interwebz for "Blue Ridge Parkway Accidents", it appears there are wrecks almost daily!! Who the hell would want to go there anymore?

Here's a good article on the situation:

https://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/july-august-2006/page/62/

The saddest part is: Originally they wanted the Park and roads to be relatively FREE of excess signage, to help preserve the atmosphere of nature, etc. But because of the frequent accidents, more and more warning signs have been added annually.

Next time, we'll go elsewhere.
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Zero rebound dampening? WTF?
  16. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    You're being sarcastic, right? I find it hard to imagine a safer, more scenic, (more boring) road than the heavily-enforced-45mph limit BRP! I have driven it 2x and ridden it once, keeping it under 60mph (with no issues with curves or cops), and the only dangerous close encounters i had were with wildlife. One wreck a day over a 469 mile long road? 4 fatalities? I bet it would be hard to find another road 469 miles long with fewer accidents or deaths. I80 data, anyone?
    bomose and abnslr like this.
  17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I-81 in Va is 325 miles long and had over 1400 accidents reported in 2017. Traffic volume of course is much higher.

I love the BRP. I just avoid it on weekends and during leaf peeping season.
  18. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

CELL PHONES

Since I moved down here to western NC I frequently find myself on the parkway. I love the ride and the views. What I don't love are the people driving along considerably under the posted limit with cell phones and cameras in hand. I witness this every time I get on the parkway. They slow to a crawl at the over looks instead of stopping to actually take in the views. Numerous times I've even come across vehicles stopped right in the driving lane and people hanging out the windows taking pics.

I wonder how many of those accidents are actually on the road itself. In four years I've not come across an accident on the road, but have seen fender benders on the approaches and in the overlooks frequently.

Also it would be interesting to see a break down where the concentration of accidents happen. The section that goes through Asheville is used by commuters and IMO is the most dangerous section.

Because of the increases in traffic, I won't go on the Parkway holiday weekends and fall foliage weekends.
    TheProphet likes this.
  19. TheProphet

Oddometer:

If you think the BRP is boring, and are riding it at 60 MPH watching out for cops, and suggest comparing it to "I80".... you've missed the point entirely. It's like saying the Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground, or the Moon is just a small white ball in the night sky.

Swing and a miss. :fpalm
  20. TheProphet

Oddometer:

Agree. As always, when any road becomes overly popular and populated, it's done. We go on mid-weekdays during the early spring, or mid-fall when kids are back in school, and family vacations are usually over. Weekends or Holidays - forget it. Best to go very early in the morning as well. We've never actually witnessed a crash or accident, but did see a two car (one rear ended the other) smash once, after the fact.

Ever notice how almost everything "Bad" or negative has an association with selfishness, or lack of care about how ones actions effect others? You see this more and more every day, and it seems like the mass media applauds and supports such behavior. It's becoming a society of "me", instead of "us".

The Park or the Highway System DOES keep track of the accident hotspots (I think it's mentioned in the link I posted), probably take some digging to find the report.

Our experience has been that 99.9% of the riders (I'm talking weekdays, early AM here) we encounter on the BRP are great people, and actually interested in the park's purpose, it's scenery, and preserving the area, etc. Very, very seldom do we see speeders/racers/ posers using the parkway as their personal racetrack. Only once to my recollection in 20+ years of visiting the park. Most often they are extremely experienced riders, conscientious folks, riding the area to enjoy the experience, the fellow riders, and the awesome sights.

For the reasons you stated though, we may call it quits for a while. That, and if this guy wins this lawsuit, we may see motorcycles banned from using the road in the future. Remember the comment about selfishness? This guy is a perfect example - he'll maybe get around $40 grand once the lawyers and Insurance Company are paid, and the rest of the motorcycling world will suffer the backlash.
    Boatman likes this.