Bump on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by phillyrube, Sep 12, 2018.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    I understand the general concern here, but I fail to see how motorcycles could be banned. They're street legal vehicles and the BRP is a public road. Anyone got an example of a public road that is specifically closed to motorcycles, but open to everyone else?
  2. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Some points to ponder:

1.) Motorcycles are a very small percentage of the total vehicles on the road. As in around 1.5% to 2%. That being the case, we don't carry much weight in either numbers nor in political strength. From another perspective, potentially we have 97.5% of other road users against us, should it come to that.
    2.) Operating a motor vehicle on public roads in the USA is a "Privilege", and not a constitutional right in most US States. This privilege can be removed/revoked at any time.
    3.) The US National Park System - of which the BRP is part of - is a Federal, not a State run organization, so it goes under some slightly different rules and regulations.

Note as well that smaller CC motorcycles are also "Street Legal" but banned from highway use.

FWIW, many foreign countries have already banned motorcycles from certain roads for various reasons. I too doubt that the BRP would ban motorcycles, but it is NOT impossible. Seeing as the world has gone to "Profit" as being the #1 driver of everything, banning motorcyclists would hit the BRP and surrounding areas in a noticeable way, but one $1 million lawsuit negates a whole lot of that profit.

Another payback might be LEO's on the Parkway focusing on and targeting motorcycles for nuisance violations, until riders stop visiting. It can happen.
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a drunk guy with a station wagon try to kill me once. The cops got him when he drove into an RV in a campground. Spring or Fall/Tues-Thurs.
  4. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    So what you're saying is that there's zero legal precedence for a public road being arbitrarily closed to motorcycles, but not other traffic, in the USA.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Quebec City banned motorcycles once. They said the noise was breaking the ancient buildings.

Are they still banned?
  6. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    You obviously want an argument, not a discussion.... Pass! :lol3
  7. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Moose River Plains in NY. Road vehicles are allowed but motorcycles are banned.
    Boatman likes this.
  8. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    That's Canada, not the USA. Strange and idiotic for sure, but not entirely relevant.
    Interesting... the DEC website concerning the area makes no mention of motorcycles in any way, shape, or form. There's a thread on this forum, but I can't find anything from an official source.
  9. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
  10. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
  11. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    gosh, I should sue for the time I crashed on an entrance ramp to the BRP, more asphalt than aggregate, or in easier terminology, one big wide tar snake that was the complete width of the road....... but no injury, and very little damage, knocked headlight out of aim, road rash on my headlamp trim ring and on my turn signal, and a raspberry size hole in my Aerostich and grass stains..... 60mph lowside, 100 feet or so across wet grass and 115-20 feet on pavement

When I read stories of crashes like this, all I can think is that the rider panicked and grabbed a handful of brake
  12. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    The rider was on a Harley; therefore it is highly unlikely he used the front brake at all. :hide
  13. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

I've ridden through there a few times over the years. A couple times passing State Troopers and DEC, fully expecting them to stop me and get a ticket. Got a friendly wave every time. I always ride through respectfully and I bet if I was tearing it up I would have been stopped.
  14. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Yes. September 2017. A northern portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway, not far from Mabry Mill, was closed to motorcycles due to [the alleged conditions caused by] road construction. The signage was unambiguous. And located in the USA. Granted, this closure was probably not permanent, but it was indeed specific.

Here's the Mill; the road closure (to motorcycles) was <1 mile away headed north.
    [​IMG]

And here I am leaving from whence I came; the motorcycle proscription forced me to take a significant detour that day.
    [​IMG]
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I can certainly understand temporary closures to Motorcycles, Trucks, Bicycles, etc.
    But I doubt a National Park would ban Motorcycles on the public road.
    Especially one that gets so much use & promotion by motorcyclists.
    But it could happen, I know anything can happen.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. Biddles

Biddles Suck it easy!

Oddometer:
    I hate people who can't accept their own mistakes. Bump in the road or not there was a sign, and I can guarantee he was speeding and panic front brakes. User error.
    Ginger Beard, Boondox and phillyrube like this.
  17. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Yup, with a qualifier:

Publically-accessible road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    “The drive serves as the main road through the gated community of Pebble Beach. Inside this community, nonresidents have to pay a toll to use the road.[2] Like the community, the majority of 17-Mile Drive is owned and operated by the Pebble Beach Corporation. ”
  19. oic

oic Business is ALWAYS personal

Oddometer:
    You bring up an interesting point. In a situation like this one, where a rider's ability and skill level could be called into question, has that ever come up in a lawsuit? More often than not, lack of skill is the reason people crash. How would they determine that?
  20. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Right. In that case a defending lawyer would strive to determine what is the ability of the average rider, and how would that compare to the abilities of the rider involved? How would the average rider handle that exact same riding condition on the exact same bike. Near impossible to prove, so default to its "not his fault." At the same time though, riding any motorcycle in any road condition requires much higher abilities than the average car driver. But that is not the rationale applied.

It seems a person's responsibility for their abilities or lack thereof is rarely considered, even on activities that require better than average capabilities. Liability logic in the USA defers to dumb down to the point no one can be held personally responsible for the lack of their own abilities. The rider may claim, "yes I never had any more training than that which is required to obtain my license, but how would that make me worse than any other motorcycle license holder?" But that seems to not affect his responsibility affecting the outcome of his riding. How capable is the rider? Was his bike properly maintained? Was it modified in ANY way that may affect its ability to handle a bump 99% of traffic on that road can handle (regardless of four wheels or two).

The BMW R1200RT I have been riding for the past three years and 13,000 miles, I bought as a cosmetic crash from the local dealer I used to work at. I could ride it fine in the condition it was after the crash, so I bought it, cheap, and repaired it. It featured lowered Wilbers suspension the PO had the shop install from new. The PO claimed the lowered suspension caused him to crash on a straight section of local highway, where on he crashed when he wandered off onto the shoulder. Even in its crashed condition, I could ride the bike no handed with no issue, the ABS worked great, cruise control, everything worked great. I have ridden it to dragging parts to the edges of the tires with no issues. So the PO claims that the suspension mods caused the crash is total BS. He screwed up and couldn't own it.