"Bump" Starting the big GS?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by docgonzo, Mar 15, 2002.

1. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Hey, today, I was exploring some country roads around NJ, and stopped to turn the ABS back on. The bike was a little hot from cruising some dirt roads.

Turned the ignition off to re-activate the ABS, and tried to start the bike. It didn't turn over nicely, so I made the mistake of giving it a little gas before it "caught". Think I flooded the engine a little. Wouldn't start after that.

So, I pushed the old beasty up a little hill, and tried to "bump" start it like I used to do my old 600. The engine has so much compression that in first, it just skidded the rear wheel.

Can these big old fuelies be bump started? Mine is a new 2002 GS 1150 with only 1,500 miles on it.

Fortunately, after letting the bike sit for a little while, it then started nicely. But bumping didn't seem to be an option.

later, barry
  2. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barry, If you have enough juice to run the fuel pump you can bump start it, but not in 1st gear :nono You might need to go as high as 4th depending on traction available. Usually 2nd or 3rd. With my lard butt 2nd is good :thumb

No worse than bump starting a Harley :evil

Greg
    00 FXDX
    02 R1150GS
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    2nd usually works pretty good for me. Just remember to turn the key on first. DAMHIK :huh