Burgman(s) vs Honda Silver Wing

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Mohawk Badger, Apr 16, 2007.

1. NJ-GS

NJ-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife just bought a Burgman 400 and loves it. She also looked at the Silver Wing (both our cars are Hondas), but really liked the light weight of the Burgman 400 and some of the features, particularly, the greater storage capacity. (I liked the lower price.)

If you're looking at taking a scooter on rougher roads, consider the Piaggio BV 500. It's a step-through, automatic, with less body work and a 16 inch front wheel (vs. the usual 10 inch to 14 inch front wheel of most scooters). Supposedly, the larger front wheel provides more gyro stability.
  2. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the price of a 650 burgman scooter can't you buy a 1250 Bandit? nuff said!
  3. PassTheGravy

PassTheGravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, and the Bandit appears to be a great bike at a great price. But what if someone cares more about the practicality and convenience of a scooter than they do about speed and power? That's where the Burgman comes in, although it's no slouch power-wise.

Someone else might say that for the price of a Bandit 1250, you can buy a Sportster. And for the price of a Sportster, you can buy a KLR and have thousands left over. And for the price of the KLR, . . . . Well, you get the point. Different strokes for different folks.
  4. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    My wifes SW will do anything a motorcycle (conventional) will do travel wise.

Like the the poster said different bikes for different people.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I had a Burgman 650 Executive for a year. Unlike the Silverwing, it's built like a motorcycle, not a traditional scooter. The motor is mounted in the frame rather than resting atop the rear swingarm. This factor together with its larger wheels compared to other Maxi Scoots gives it great handling in the corners and excellent stability at high speeds. Its kevlar/aluminum drive belt doesn't need to be changed for the life of the vehicle (unlike the Silverwing's traditional rubber V-belt). All in all, it holds a ton of stuff and it's just gas and go. Ride quality is very good, although it's not as good as a motorcycle with longer suspension and 17'' wheels. As mentioned, handling is truly excellent in the corners, but if you push too hard you will start scraping hard bits due to a relative lack of ground clearance. The bike is smooth as silk even cruising at 80mph on the highway. It's pretty much like a Goldwing in terms of weather/wind protection and luggage capacity, but much more nimble. In the end, I sold mine because I wanted a bike with more power. But if you're happy with 55hp, it's a great machine.

Check out my test review of it here.
    http://www.metropolis.co.jp/tokyo/577/cars_bikes.asp
  6. roninfla1

roninfla1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own an 06 Burgman 650. A scooter its not. 55HP and 100+ MPH this thing hauls. I ride with Wings and Beemers on the I95 slab and have no problem cruising 70+ all day. It does suffer some from a somewhat weak front suspension but thats my only gripe. Yea it looks like a scooter and if that is a problem for some so be it.
    I haven't ridden a Silver Wing so I can't comment.
    These things are big in Europe and I have see many in Austria and Italy.
    I think if someone hasen't ridden one they might have a different opinion if they had. Its not perfect as every bike or "scooter" is a compromise but as far as "scooters" go this one is my choice
  7. Reflex

Reflex I'm Shiftless

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that this statement is correct.

I don't own a Silverwing but based upon what I read about it, it also has it's engine mounted in the frame, not on the swingarm.
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I think you might be right, thanks for the correction.
  9. nwbiker

nwbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My SilverWing DOES have the engine in the frame like the Burgman 650. The engine on my wife's Burgman 400 is attached to the swingarm. You'll see the exhaust on the 400 going up and down relative to the body of the bike.
  10. macvisual

macvisual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I recently had a ride on a neighbour's Honda SilverWing 600cc scooter, it happened by luck, he just pulled up and asked me if I had ever took a scooter out for a ride to which I said no. Now I've been riding bikes for over 30 years, I presently ride a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000GT. I'm 48 yrs old.

I took the Honda SilverWing 600cc out for a good 20 minute run, my word, I couldn't believe the power, yes I was taken back ok, really loved the big Honda scooter in every way! It's now making me think do I really need the V-Strom 1000cc bike..?? So simple to ride, and yes the power is there in spades ok, just twist and go, brilliant!

Within the next few days I hope to take out a used 2007 model Honda SilverWing 600cc out on a test ride from a Honda Bike dealer who resides about 30 miles from me, I'm giving serious thought to now owning a SilverWing 600, I was/am mightly IMPRESSED!!!!

I've never ridden a Suzuki Burgman scooter, so I can't comment, sorry, but the SilverWing 600 is FABULOUS!

Best wishes from Ireland;

pete
  11. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like another big bike rider has been converted over to "a scooter?" It's funny how many converts there seem to be lately.

Your first run to the market for cold beverages will tell you made the right decision when it comes to everyday practicality.

Enjoy... as I am sure you will.
  12. macvisual

macvisual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it's an age thing, but a super-scooter is SOOO dam practical I think. Yes as you say, a few good days would tell you if you've made the right decision (?), but on first thoughts I was gobsmaked with everything the SilverWing threw at me, or that should maybe read, amazed!!

Only my tuppence worth thoughts so far, but I'll keep you all posted as to my outcome.

Do I really need manual gears/fancy waterproofs/expensive helmets/image thing/keep up appearences with your mates who ride new expensive sportsbikes/tour'ers etc...........probably not me thinks!!!!!

pete
  13. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I ride a plain jane Kymco People 250, the low-end of the power scale for super-scooter.

I really enjoy walking up the the bike, popping open the under seat, dropping in my lunch box & paperwork & a small messenger bag & taking out my gloves while I warm up the engine for my commutes home.

With the top case I can stop at the market for milk, cold beer and several other things and still be home in half the time I would take me in my truck on a bad Friday ride home.
  14. V-Tour

V-Tour Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had a Burgman 650Executive for one month now. I only have about 1200 miles on it so cannot speak to longevity. Since buying it I have sold my BMW R1200CLC. I may replace the BMW next year but the imperative is weakening. When we get the Burgman farkeled the way we want my wife and I plan on trying it out for touring. It seems to have what it takes.

all said, great ride, fast, steady at speed but will not take the place of my V-Strom on the gravel and really rough roads. The best thing is own the scooter and the bike(s).
    V-Tour
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650
    2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    BMW R1200CLC (sold)
    Honda Helix (sold)
  15. Harry'O

Harry'O Vespa 50

Oddometer:
    You sound like me techguy. I feel the same way and the few stops I have to make for fuel is nice too.
    Sometimes though... you know somtimes... I want power and grunt.
    Scooter most days, grunt on the weekend!
    It is nice though, being able to ramble anywhere with reliability, convinience (sp?) and fuel efficiency.
  16. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    The fuel tank is the only really "funky" thing on the bike. For whatever reason, the fuel tank is two parts, one in the underfloor area and a second in the front fairing area. They are connected together with a hose. The scoot holds all of TWO gallons combined. I get 200 KM per tank when I am paying attention. The fuel gauge reads only the second half of the tank so the gauges reads like this

10 KM = 100%
    20 KM = 100%
    30 KM = 100%
    40 KM = 100%
    50 KM = 100%
    60 KM = 100%
    70 KM = 100%
    80 KM = 100%
    90 KM = 100%
    100 KM = 100%
    110 KM = 100%
    120 KM = 100%
    110 KM = 90%
    120 KM = 70%
    130 KM = 60%
    140 KM = 50%
    150 KM = 40%
    160 KM = 30%
    170 KM = 20% Light On!
    180 KM = 10% Light On!
    190 KM = 5% Light On!
    200 KM = 0% Light ON!

220 KM... are you pushing? :lol3

With me on the bike the bike doesn't have much grunt or power put it out accelerates most cars on the road and it filters traffic pretty good if you can dodge the mirrors.
  17. RedDirt

RedDirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode a Silverwing in 2003 and traded it in on a DL1000 in 2004. This year, I sold the DL1000 and bought the Burgman 650.

To me the Silverwing and Burgman 650 are both great scooters. But, I think the Burgman has a better ride and feels a bit more like a motorcycle.

Reddirt

PS - I loved the DL1000, but I bought a DRZ400 for dirt road riding
  18. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sat on a Burg Exec at the weekend. Got to take one for a spin. Sooo comfy and so many gizmos!!:D
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a Silverwing for a couple years now. No Burgman experience.

The big bikes all sit in the garage. 90% of the time I'll take a scooter.
    I've also got two Reflex 250s. The practical side of the scooters is
    hard to ignore. Great commuters, storage, quiet and just plain fun
    to ride.

Last week I rolled out my FJR to do a two up ride to Jackson.
    I kept thinking "What a heavy pig". Of course it was fantastic to
    tour on, but I would never want to daily commute with it after
    the riding the scooters.
  20. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I want to hear. This is the kind of practical thinking that has me wanting a scooter instead of my motorcycle.:evil