Burning Man and Beyond: Three Months in the US ...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Peter640, Jul 20, 2015.

1. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Oh, you're gonna have fun! :D

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and will be at Burning Man. It's a great time!

I assume you have a packing list for BM, and it sounds like you'll have some folks to bring stuff there for you. DO read the packing list, and DO read the survival guide- it ain't for the faint of heart, but nothing an Inmate can't hack with a bit of prep. My one piece of advice- bring a camelbak or other water pack. They make the difference out there. Expect to drink up to a gallon of water a day, so having 60 ounce or so on your really frees you up to wander. Also, bring electrolyte pills- those make the difference between bouncing back every day and going further and further down the water-for-blood road.

Feel free to ping me with any questions about BM- I've been there a few times, I'm running a camp, and I'm generally far deeper in that culture than is good for anyone. Come by Dusty Lady at G and 7:15 and ask for me. We'll have a beer on ice for you.
  2. GHOC

GHOC FNG

Oddometer:
    You're going to need a few language dictionaries: Australian/American, Australian/Quebecois, Australian/Canadian and, most entertaining of all, Australian/Maritimer. Sadly I don't think, "there's an app for that."
    Anand7 and GypsyWriter like this.
  3. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    You'll also need Australian/Burner. You could buy one, but nobody every does since they come free with most whiskey bottles. ;)
    TouringDave likes this.
  4. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    Hi Peter640. All the way from Australia-and going to Burning Man :D... how cool is that!
    The Black Rock desert (pretty much my backyard) has been super dry this summer. The dust storms will most likely be off the hook.
    Tip: Bring goggles and eye wash. Stock up on the coffee and keep it brewing--have a bitchen time!
    Enjoy your ride across the states. Safe travels.
    :lurk
  5. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Arrived in th US After a good flight got off the plane and into a 3 hour line at immigration
    image.jpg

Which was a bit of a bummer however delighted when the luggage and I met up again and all were present and correct. Jumped into a cab past some famous names and finally met up Lance who sold me the bike. The adventure starts now. To the bike tomorrow right now it's time for a welcome beer ...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  6. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Thanks your on re the beer. I am working at The BR Bakery in French Q
  7. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Will and thanks googles and eye wash sorted!
  8. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Love it!
  9. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    It's a looooong way from LA to NS and back - big adventure!
  10. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Heading up to Newcombs Ranch for breaky tomorrow before heading over to see Mr Tucker and starting the trip up north ...
  11. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    In!!

When you hit SF, look me up!
  12. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please have a wonderful time here in North America; I hope it is everything you want it to be. I still get a warm feeling, a mixture of pride and humility, when our friends from a far choose to come to America for their motorcycle trips. While most of our cultures here (remember, we're a mixture of history's down-trodden) are warm and welcoming, you'll find we have a special fondness for Aussies (and oddly enough, Irish- what's with that?!).

If you get into any kind of bind on your trip, assistance is likely just an ADVRider website away.

Are you familiar with the Tent Space Map section here on ADVRider? While it is currently having some tech difficulties, once running again it will be a great way to enjoy your trip and meet like-minded locals. No one doing an epic US trip ever chooses to ride in the middle of the country, but if you find yourself in the state of Missouri (Kansas City and St. Louis are our biggest cities) please look me up. We'd be happy to give you shelter, even if you are a Burning Man fan.
    Peter640 likes this.
  13. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg OK the good news I am alive and have just completed my first ride of any length on US roads. Sitting here at Newcombs Ranch enjoying the sun and coffee. People are kind and friendly. Ride up the Angels Crest H/W has been great.

Struggling to up load some pics will get better wifi tonight I hope

P
    97audia4 likes this.
  14. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Arrived to stay with James and ColleenTucker. Definitely wonderful hosts!

My room is great and the pool was fantastic after a pretty warm day. Had bike serviced at local BMW dealer in Claremont ...nice people who took bikes on a sat pm with no booking to help me out.

Shout out toEddie at Brown Motor Works THANKS.

Also nice to meet Steve Carr in the dealership.

Any way it's.late tired and my ability to load up photos is tricky! Here are my digs ...

image.jpg
  15. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  16. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Heading out tomorrow after a amazing 36 hrs with James and Colleen. Feeling chilled, fed and well beered!

Tomorrow Big Bear a City and Joshua Tree NP. THEN North West for Sequoya and then running N for glacier NP before The Burn!!

Check out these guys muc fun beats !

The black tongued bells ...
  17. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Burning Man and three month US - I am in.....

Have a safe trip - looking forward for your posts
  18. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you find yourself in the south east, oct 2-5 is the overland expo. Pretty fun, and a town riddled with breweries!
  19. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    In.
    Aussies are pretty tough. If you get to the east coast, and get lost, get in touch. Other wise enjoy your trip.
  20. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all kind offers.

Just got into Joshua Tree. It's a might warm here and I fear will get hotter as I plan to cross desert at Furnace Creek and head back to the Sequoyas before heading north.

great ride through mountains this am hitting Silverwater and Big Bear. Met the first wildlife of the trip in the form of two roadside deer, one snake and a squirrel. Managed to miss all!

Not too many pics as I wasn't hanging around today. Temp hit 106.5 which is f#%^€ng hot even for a Sydney boy.

It was really nice up in the hills and topped out at 8600 feet.

So to some thoughts:

1 loving Californian drivers as they mostly pull out your way and let you through ...
    2 I have bonded with the big girl GS. We are getting on very well and definitely the right choice of machine for this trip
    3 Americans see to know how to party and do a lot of it! Looking forward to a quiet night in the tent tonight.

Off to buy my NP pass now....

image.jpg image.jpg