Burning Man and Beyond: Three Months in the US ...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Peter640, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Then the GPS led us nicely astray up this crazy little lane ... Wish I had taken more pics but was VERY focused on staying upright and alive !!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Then we capped the day with a blast
    up the 118 fantastic road!!!❤️❤️
  3. intotheabis

intotheabis High on life!

Oddometer:
    Looks like your getting every last minute of riding in than you can eh Peter! Fabulous pics. Have you been saving all your tracks since day 1?
  4. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Thanks just landed in Schroon Lake up State NY in the snow so you are right squeezing the last dregs out the bottle!!

Bloody amazing ride today following Roy's magic GPS button that says no main roads, no straight roads and no tolls ferries or interstates, with double curvey roads please! Well it delivered in spades!

112 to 118 out of Lincoln then then 25C west before slipping through an amazing run of minor roads including The Chelsea Rd, the 113, 110, Vermont SR 66, 12, Camp Brook Rd V 100 then the 125 over Green Mtn (where the temp fell to 33f!).

Then 7 which follows a great river I think! Then back onto 125 ... Then entered NY!

Stopped Fort Crown Point and hit the museum before a last dash to the hotel just as the snow started!

What a day!!

I Jane not saved tracks but have a paper map with route roughy marked on it!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  5. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    And some more!

image.jpg
    Loved this road
    image.jpg
    Mind the gap!
    image.jpg
    The fort
    image.jpg
    Snow!
    image.jpg
    intotheabis likes this.
  6. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg IMAG0123.jpg Woke to heavy frost and 22 Degrees f a new record!

IMAG0123.jpg
  7. intotheabis

Oddometer:
    No worries Peter, I going to warm up again. This was just just sneak preview of things to come.
  8. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peter, your photos are absolutely brilliant!

I asked you before (way back on page 16) what camera you were using and you replied that it was your iPhone. As I follow along your report and view your images I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that.

Are you REALLY using an iPhone to take all the photos you've been posting here? Bloody good work! Regardless of which camera.

I haven't seen you mention your plans for the rest of the trip... Are you heading back to California?

What an amazing voyage you've been on!
  9. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks ....yes they are all on an iPhone 6 which has done a very good job so far! About three thousand pics to date!

Whilst on stats I rolled over 15000 miles yestersday (equals 24,000 kms!).

Much snow today and temps between low 20s and very early 30s! I had to buy new under gloves in Lake Placid as the hands got a bit cold!

To keep warm I wore my BMW winter gloves and the rode with full thermal base, t shirt, serious good windproof fleece, Klim jacket & pants and topped with BMW Waterproof one piece and neck warmer!!! JUST stayed warm enough!
  10. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Will head down to a NYC late this week, clean and park bike for winter then be a tourist for long weekend before flying out on 27th to re join the real world and make some $ to come back next year for more!!

Pics from today to follow! At one point I was wiping snow off visor a new experience for me!!

Luckily the roads stayed wet not icy as I am. It sure what I would have done

Niagara Falls tomorrow and warmer weather I believe!
  11. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Promised pics....
    Team Vegas likes this.
  12. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg Then it got proper cold as we passed thru the Adirondacks!! And snow fell!

Loved Lake Placid (Roy my riding partner for this leg of the trip) helped build the ski jumps here in the late 70s for the Winter Olympics)

Very pretty with a dusting of snow ....
    image.jpg
    Look Mum it's really snowing!
    image.jpg
    You'd have to be mad to do this jump!
    image.jpg
    This picture doesn't do the cold and snow falling justice! Hot choc time 35 miles from home! I wasn't cold till we stopped!
    image.jpg
  13. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Off to Niagra Falls tomorrow!
  14. intotheabis

Oddometer:
    Dang it! I live in Niagara Falls but am out of town! Could you gotten together for a pint or two
  15. afritzsch90

afritzsch90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Peter what route are you taking to NYC? I'm just north of Binghamton if you're going to take 17 south to the city
  16. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:

Bummer beer is always good!

Back next year!

Peter
  17. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much ... I think I will miss you as I skim towads Catskills tomorrow before parking bike up an heading home next week

Back next year so watch this space!

I will be in Oneonta tomorrow and Wed night for a major gear clean up and sort out before the bike is parked up for winter.

Peter
    intotheabis likes this.
  18. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Some fun pics from Niagra Falls was a great day got cold and soaked should have kept wet weather gear on!

intotheabis likes this.
  19. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    A couple more!

20. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg I have had a great stay with my wonderful hosts Roy and Margaret ... another amazing example of kindness from strangers who are now friends ...

Roy is a demon rider on a very tall KTM 1190 who has helped me discover some crazy good roads and overcome any fear of cold or snow I may have had!!

All round good people with a very tidy basement!

THANK YOU!