Burning Man and Beyond: Three Months in the US ...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Peter640, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Off to Spokane in morning as biked booked for new tyres and to fix some recall issues. Also noted small oil weep behind RH cylinder today but it was giving her a very solid workout! I am going with TKC70s. Any views out there? Also booked into Westside Motorsports ... Again any views?

Open for cheapo accomodation ideas in Spokane as I suspect I may be there two sleeps.

Then Road to the Sun (if not on fire!) then x to Ferny to catch up with the Aussie contingent there!

God it's great having good internet ... Thanks John
  2. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Arrived in Spokane safely after good ride thru the wheat belt! Installed in cheapo motel with predictably poor Wi-Fi!

Will try pic uploads tomorrow am. Now drinking very good beer at The Flying Goat!
  3. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg pics from a smokey day ...

Climbed up Steptoe state park bluff
  4. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Thanks for great hospitality ...

Attached Files:

5. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Getting arty here ...

Just back from excellent beer at The Flying Goat...

Attached Files:

6. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your stay, Peter. The TKC70 looks like an excellent choice...I think I will put one on the rear before I mount that knobby. Glad you made up to Steptoe Butte. Did you encounter any rain, I got a little playing golf yesterday. Enjoy Glacier Park and have a safe trip. -John
    PS- Just noticed that we joined ADV about the same time in 2007
  7. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Luckily no rain just some wind. Bike has been sorted so will drink beer here tonight and shoot off early tomorrow to get to camp in Glacier nP
  8. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Great guys at Westside Powersports. Thanks for help and beyond service ... John Yarno kindly ran me in and back of downtown whilst work done ...

And they even have the bike a quick wash ...

image.jpg image.jpg
  9. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Booked into a toupee tomorrow night before I hit Glacier on Thurs for three nights camping, then across the border to Fernie and Bamff NP.

Probably then head to coast snd go south again for the burn!

P
  10. Winko100

Winko100 Ewe Beaudy!

Oddometer:
    if you do head south again, Bozeman Montana is a pretty cool town - Kati went to Uni there. A bit further south and you drop into Wyoming and Jellystone National Park :) ...head east through Bighorn National Forest, Blackhills National Forest (Mt Rushmore) and into...gulp...the Badlands and the WORLD FAMOUS Wall Drug Store! So many awesome places...keep the photos coming. Russ PS. what's your preference...1200 or 800?
  11. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:

Loving the 1200 much more comfy to ride long distances

Thanks for all tips plan to go thru Yellowstone after BM ...

Heading to Glacier now ...
  12. westcoastvaleska

westcoastvaleska Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very inspiring, many crossings myself and riding to BM, well, you're well equipped. I rode in 2010 but had motorcycle remain in Reno before hitchhiking in to Black Rock. As you know, replenish plenty of water, I had to carry in 5g myself. At the time, I was on older honda shadow, be prepared for dust. May i ask what you will do with second ticket and is it for sale? i am not opposed to riding down again! be prepared to have your mind blown, my friend. Ride Shasta afterward or go SW as you make your way East toward NY? If you ride PNW coastal, take 101 past Olympic Peninsula in Washington State and on to Canada by Port Angeles ferry. Cruise Vancouver island and believe me, no regrets as I just returned from there. Islands a plenty, nature, wild animals, cabins, weed, stars and nomads. Though weather in September will begin to rain. Anyway, ride safe. Following.
  13. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are having fun so far. :ricky Great photos of Yosemite!
  14. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Thanks for support and ideas .. Thinking I will head east thru Yellowstone NP.

Second ticket already sold I am afraid ...

On road to Glacier right now and at coffee stop on the image.jpg 200. Bloody hot day again and getting warmer ...
    Thanks Pp
    Now at Glacier in some strange tipee park expensive and no better than camping ... My first wasted money!

However lake water beautiful to cool off in

Attached Files:

15. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Pretty uneventful day and ride amazing scenery quite good (not great) roads

Met a vary cool group of mature ladies riding to Alberta on the road a mix of Harley's canam 3 wheelers. And a monster Gold wing trike great to see these girls riding in their golden years pics tomorrow when battery life and Wi-Fi restored

Pretty warm. Will go and fight for campsite inside NP tomorrow first thing. Then to travel the road to the sun fire permitting

Goodnight

Peter
  16. Winko100

Winko100 Ewe Beaudy!

Oddometer:
    watch out for waterfalls and rocks over road on going to the Sun road...and cyclists :)
  17. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Amazingly I have been here a fortnight. Wow that has gone quickly and slowly at the same time.

I am writing this post from my campsite at Glacier National Park. It's is an amazing place with incredible scenery. Right now it is smokey as the fires are bad. We are also expecting a storm sometime later today or tonight. intermittent light showers pass thru so I am buttoned down as under canvass tonight. Apparently thunder, lightening and hail plus rain may come!

I bought a cheap bottle of red to cuddle up with if I have to retreat to my tent!

So since my last update I have left California behind and passed thru Nevada, Oregon and Washington. Now in Montana which is a wild, unregulated and free spirited state. In two days time I will head across to see Friends in Fernie BC, which I am looking forwards to. The campsite (Sprague) is great. I am finding camping quite regulated here with set camping grounds and no free camping. May be because of the risk of meeting bears or because of the fire hazard. The bear I met on the road yesterday caused a "bear jam" as people stop to look! I am also slowly getting used to volume of holiday traffic and slow progress thru the parks. A shame as the roads without cars (and deer bears and other random wildlife could be fun at speed)

Yesterday I rode across the pass to Many Glaciers. There are of course many glaciers there but all some ways off and shrinking rapidly as climate change impacts. Interestingly the effects of climate change is much more apparent here as winter snows are failing, fires more prevalent and weather patterns alter. Old photos show the tree line much further down the mountain as the wether was colder.

I saw big horn sheep, mountain goats ( very cool white things) lots of squirrels, the black bear and Ospreys. I think I may have seen some elk in the far distance. This morning I literally walked into a deer family on the trail. I did manage to get some pictures.

I did a biggish walk/hike today to Avalanche Lake. About 8k mostly up hill to this very beautiful glacially fed lake. The trails are quite busy here as its peak season. This also means that the campsites are as well. I was so lucky to score a place here by arriving at 0800 and hanging round like a vulture!

I have nearly eaten my way thru the dehydrated camp food I bought from Oz that had been in the cupboard for a year or two from other trips. Some better than others!! The nasi-goreng should have been called Nasty Godawfuleng! I threw most of it away, that was the night the bear came into camp, he obviously liked it!

Anyways hopefully the storm will be a none event and normal camp life will resume!

Looking forwards to posting pictures talking when I can get some wifi.

I will head to Burning Man via the coast for a change of scenery and then come East via Yellowstone as EVERYONE said I should visit there ... Oh to be a leaf blowing in the wind!

Pics to follow if I can get some wifi
    WAKETURBULENCE likes this.
  18. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Sounds like great times! Would love to meet you at Burning Man.
    Peter640 likes this.
  19. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    I am sUre we will meet up
  20. ChrisK AZ

ChrisK AZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, looks like you are having a great trip. Make sure to stop in Mitchell, SD and visit the famous Corn Palace :-)