Burning Man here I come!!! 2700+ Miles SOLO On a ‘98 DR650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by FixShit, Aug 17, 2018.

1. FixShit

FixShit Middle aged adventure seeker having fun

Oddometer:
    8CF7F6B8-CAB4-495D-8222-AF7C56E59367.jpeg 2502AECE-2970-4B40-9AD6-4B22E9FE650A.jpeg FixShit here, so I recently made a last minute decision to try to go to Burning Man this year which begins Aug 26th in Nevada. I make this decision a little over 2 weeks prior. Now for the non “burners” in the forum, this has an attendance of roughly 70,000 people and the tickets sold out months back in 7 whole minutes... Now you need to realize that I am a rather resourceful guy and figured I’d go on the books of faces and hit up the plethora of Burning Man pages looking for spare tickets from people that last minute couldn’t make it. Well that didn’t look very promising once I did. Turns out that this year is a tough year for finding tickets. Well I spent a few days scrolling through page after page trying to find just one ticket. So I decided that I would make a deal with the gods of the Playa. I said that if I was able to manifest a ticket I would give an offering of radical self reliance (one of the 10 principals of BM) and ride my motorcycle from SE Pennsylvania to Black Rock City in Nevada... well wouldn’t you know a ticket found me, and so did a camp that would feed me for fixing bicycles rented on the playa. Ok,so everything seems to be falling into place. I was even offered multiple ride shares with other burner friends and friends of friends. No can do was my response to them all. They’re calling me crazy for riding all the way out there but hey, a promise is a promise... I proceeded to look over my bike and started to process the logistical nightmare I was facing... 2700+ miles on a motorcycle that has no bags, and only a small rack on the back that I strap my back pack to... now remember me saying earlier that I’m rather resourceful? Well I thought on it for a bit and rode over to the local Home Cheapo and walked back to the hardware section and went for the metals rack. I found some 3’ sections of small square thin wall tube @$5.xx a piece and grabbed 3. So I threw them on my lap and rode back. I immediately went to work. Now I didn’t want to do anything destructive to the rack that already resides on my bike so what I did was lay them over the existing cross members, perpendicular to the line of the bike, and with a little duct tape, Held them in place. I then lashed them tight with pieces of colorful 550 cord. Doing this more than tripled my storage capacity. I grabbed a good portion of what I felt I’d be dragging along with me and lashed it down. Solid, stable, and secure, proud of myself for making a rack for my bike for less than $20, it was now time for a test drive. That was a couple of days ago and that stuff has been strapped on the whole time with no issues. Tomorrow I’m going to go pick up a small fuel can that I can strap on with my gear so I can get a little more cruising range out of the girl. I’ll also pack and strap everything that’s going with me for the trip and test it out as I roll around locally for another day. Hopefully it all works well because I plan to leave either Saturday or Sunday.

That’s all for today and I’ll post more exciting news tomorrow night

FixShit
    insomnia, docsherlock, ACR and 12 others like this.
  2. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    This ought to be good........Iv'e always been curious about Burning Man. sub'd.
    FixShit likes this.
  3. FixShit

Oddometer:
    This will be my first Big Burn. I’ve gone to a bunch of east coast regional burns though. This will ALSO Be the longest single ride I’ve ever done. Most I’ve ever done was just shy of 500 miles.
    insomnia, TheBritAbroad and SFCootz like this.
  4. dogon2whls

dogon2whls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the trip.

Paragraphs are good, just sayin’
  5. TheCountRiggs

TheCountRiggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most excellent my man! Have fun, you'll do fine! I just did my first super big ride and did it solo too. I really wish I was going to BM, oh shit! So awesome!

I hope you cut through Colorado. It was amazing. If your close to the "Million Dollar Highway" in Colorado do it!!!

2700 miles isn't nothing but it's more than doable. You got this. My first bike was a DR650. Man I miss that bike!!!

Have a blast and stay safe. If this works out I'd love to join with you next year and ride out,(I'm near Toronto)work fixing bikes or cooking or something to help out and get a spot in a camp, that would be amazing!!!

So pumped for you!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    SFCootz and FixShit like this.
  6. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:

I could Google the other principles, but it would be more entertaining if you introduced each of the principals as you implement them on your trip.

Have you considered a 2700 mile conversion process so you can ride your then-mutant bike at BM?

In!
    SFCootz, junkyardroad and FixShit like this.
  7. MisterShandy

MisterShandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've thought about riding to BM. The water situation is the main challenge; I guess the only way to do it is to have someone else bring your water or be part of a big camp.

Bring some rattle-cans and let the people of the playa give your bike a make over.
    FixShit likes this.
  8. FixShit

Oddometer:
    Lolol... yeah, after I just kinda barfed my thoughts onto the page, I was like, too late now

I’m not much of a writer, but my buddy suggested I do this and I’ve always loved a good adventure story. I figured why not my adventure

I will, however, start using that old return button on my phone from now on!!!
  9. FixShit

Oddometer:

Both of those ideas are amazing!!!!! I’m going to have to think about how to bring the other 9 principals into play. That’s an awesome challenge and I accept!!! As for the mutant bike concept... I friggen love it BUT I haven’t registered an art/mutant car so I don’t think I could pull it off for this year, but burners DO love it when someone shows initiative coupled with radical self reliance AND radical self expression (another of the ten principals)
    insomnia and SFCootz like this.
  10. FixShit

Oddometer:

My water will be provided by my camp... food, water, showers, shade for my tent, electric, and a bicycle for roaming the playa... these are what I get for spending 5- 4hour shifts with the artbikerelief.org team... I also could’ve paid $300 to another camp for the same thing minus the bike
    slime, insomnia and fasttortoise like this.
  11. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Hey neighbors, I’m going to do art, too!

insomnia, RozzyCat, mike54 and 6 others like this.
  12. FixShit

Oddometer:
    Holy shit balls that’s awesome!!!! Bahahahahahaha!!!!
  13. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN!
    FixShit likes this.
  14. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Have a blast I was there on motorcycle a couple of years ago and had much mad fun!

Take some ear plugs as after about Wednesday it’s 24 hr Duff Duff !! Enjoy!

Peter
    FixShit likes this.
  15. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, for the most part the responses may as well be in another language for all I'm understanding!

Sounds like the makings of a great trip, enjoy.
    FixShit likes this.
  16. FixShit

Oddometer:
    Well I’d be more than happy to clarify anything you have questions about... all you need do is ask, good sir

FixShit
    insomnia and SFCootz like this.
  17. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok

1) Playa ?

2) considered a 2700 mile conversion process ?

3) registered an art/mutant ?

4) 24 hr Duff Duff ?

2 & 3 I'm pretty sure I understand...... but 1 & 4 have me stumped.

Guess I'm getting old! :lol3
    FixShit likes this.
  18. FixShit

Oddometer:

pla·ya1
    ˈplīə/
    noun
    1. an area of flat, dried-up land, especially a desert basin from which water evaporates quickly.

Burning Man is held in the middle of the Nevada desert in an area they’ve named the Black Rock Desert... it embodies the literal definition of the word playa.

#2 & #3
    Every year at BM these magical creatures arrive called art cars or mutant vehicles... pretty much if you can think it they’ve created it... it would be easier for you to just google Burning Man Art car to get a true grasp of what I’m talking about

One of the things that is ever present at BM is a lot of DJ’s spinning EDM (electronic dance music) what he was referring to with the duff duff is the ever present thump of the bass note as it carries across the playa

There’s no such thing as a stupid question... knowledge is the only true form of power

FixShit
    SFCootz likes this.
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I like it and screw punctuation write whatever you like however you like whenever you like its your rr after all.
    JeepDawg, Gotlabs, nk14zp and 2 others like this.
  20. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok Fixshit, thanks for that! I did my own research too, that surely looks like an experience.

I will be following along.
    FixShit likes this.