Burros in Death Valley

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by motocopter, Oct 19, 2019.

1. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Here's an article some may be interested in reading. Its about Burros in the DVNP. No mention of the nude dancing Burros though. :lol3

Here's the link from High Country News. https://www.hcn.org/articles/climate-desk-what-are-wild-burros-doing-to-death-valley

There is a mention of predatory kills by mountain lions and it sounds like capable lions are in a food-rich environment in the DV areas.

I saw a dead and bloated burro back in '17 but it was still intact and no indication to the cause of it's life. I did notice flies were having a festival. :lol3

Anyway....
    Chillis, el Pete and motowest like this.
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the park is attempting to remove all burros.
  3. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Half-pound burro burgers at the Panamint Springs Resort ought to help! :dukegirl

:lol3
  4. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Had one run maybe 100 yards in front of me while I was doing 50 mph once. That would've sucked.
  5. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    I like spotting burros in the desert and would hate to see them go away, but I would prefer to see more bighorn sheep. It is not really clear if the current management plan is really going to result in growth of Bighorn populations or other native species.

What I don't like about the Burros is that when I went to Kelso Dunes in the Mojave preserve, there was a ridiculous amount of what I thought were horse droppings on the lower part of the dunes, but I think they were actually burro droppings. In that environment they take decades to break up. It was a real eyesore for me.
  6. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    sounds like work-to-do for the dung beetle!
  7. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last Nov when we were in Beatty Nev for our annual DV ride Burros were everywhere just walking the neighborhoods and shopping areas. Going again in a couple of weeks and I'm sure they've multiplied since then.
  8. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    BLM took a couple hundred out of the area a while back.
  9. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    Rode through Goler/Mengel/Butte Valley/Warm Springs in April and there were about 50 milling around near the stone cabin by Striped Butte. Been going through there since '88 and that was the first time I've seen them in DV.
  10. kokemill

kokemill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BDED1128-564D-46BA-9C73-9D01D63396DC.jpeg 5230EBB0-6DB9-4361-BBD4-D352E8FA9DDE.jpeg 75CF50E7-8271-46A0-BECE-5AA41468FDD7.jpeg We saw them near Rhyolite in 2017.
  11. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well... what do they taste like ?
  12. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Chicken
  13. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem is the Wild Horse Act that stopped the commercial use of the feral horses and donkeys.. the animals used to be rounded up and slaughtered.. now they are rounded up, stuck in a corral, fed, while the government tries to find people to adopt these animals... the animals are over populating thus over grazing... the government does not do something there will be animals starving to death
    https://www.blm.gov/or/regulations/files/whbact_1971.pdf
    TwilightZone likes this.
  15. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. Donkey is part of Southern European cuisine.

Donkey stew, or straccotto d'asino, is probably the best known Italian donkey dish. Chunks of donkey meat are braised on a very low heat for at least four hours, mixed with onions, bay leaves, juniper berries, tomato sauce, garlic, red wine, olive oil, salt and pepper. The stew is often served with polenta.
    motocopter likes this.
  16. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    to help other who did not know... Polenta is a dish of boiled cornmeal that was historically made from other grains. It may be served as a hot porridge, or it may be allowed to cool and solidify into a loaf that can be baked, fried, or grilled
  17. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no problem with using them for food. People right here in America have hunger anxiety which can be remedied with thinking outside the box. I'd eat it no prob.
  19. Spank

Spank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This guy seemed a bit tired. From a couple weeks ago near Warm Spring. 38A9CDF5-5FFF-4FA8-B252-51E196028308.jpeg

Saw one that wasn’t tired out in Butte valley too.