1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bushpig Adventures in Scotland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by yamtastic, Mar 6, 2019.

1. yamtastic

yamtastic Safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Just a quick write up for an impromptu ride up and around Scotland at the end of February / start of March....yes we need help!!!! :D

I'd just bought a DR650 with the idea of having a bike that I'd use in the winter and also not be too precious about (like I tend to be with bikes :fpalm) and do some off road stuff too. With that in mind a buddy suggested a ride around Scotland, camping when the weather wasn't too bad and taking in some dirt tracks where possible.

So! with that in mind I did some light modifications and servicing of the DR in preparation for the trip...
    [​IMG]

Like I said...minor prep work! :lol3

I found the riding position a bit cramped so my buddy who's a fabricator set to work and made some lower and further back footpeg mounts, I fitted some ROX risers and fatbars to move the controls forward a bit.
    [​IMG]
    All this made it much nicer to stand up on for off road riding! I changed chain and sprockets, greased bearings, cleaned brake calipers, fitted charging cables, new heated grips and Barkbuster hand guards whilst I was at it.

I fitted some soft bags and also an LED headlight conversion that came with the bike which was massively better than the standard dirt bike headlight!!

So before I knew it, it was time to set off! So we got kitted up and headed north towards Fort William which was our first stop.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

We took the Gourock ferry to avoid Glasgow...plus a ferry ride was more interesting anyway :nod

We got chatting to the guy on his Triumph street scrambler and he took us along an epic single track road when we disembarked on the other side :thumbup

[​IMG]

The scenery from here started to get pretty stunning as we headed in towards Glencoe
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So! as is perfect when you're camping we arrived at the campsite after dark with unfamiliar tents :doh
    [​IMG]

As we were putting the tents up my trusty alpinestars waterproof pants decided to split in an unfortunate area:hmmmmm So first on the list the next day was to try and find some suitable gear in a town with no motorcycle shops!
    [​IMG]

It turned out that some £15 ski saloppetes were the best we could find so they were bought and at the risk of looking like a certain bunch of adventure riders :hmmmmm:hmmmmm:hmmmmm:wink: we had a coffee before heading north again for the Isle of Skye
    [​IMG]

This part of the ride was stunning and we found a dead end road alongside a loch that we decided to explore! We launched the drone for a bit to get some video but I'll not bore you with that as my editing skills aren't up too much!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This really is the beauty of travelling during the week and before the weather brings out all the tourists with their caravans etc! Traffic free roads and the freedom to explore little dirt tracks as you fancy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after riding to Skye we stayed in a camping pod as the weather that night looked like it was going to get a bit interesting as storm Freya came through!! This was a good decision but even at this time of year the accommodation prices on Skye are steep to say the least!!!! £90 for a tiny wooden hut!!! At least it was dry and allowed us to dry kit and have a shower :thumbup

The next morning we were up and out early as we had arranged to meet a photographer at the applecross pass, this is an iconic british riding route with hairpin bends and tight single track tarmac. We were meeting Steven Gourlay Photography as he was to film my buddy who uses ultimate addons products on his bike (as did I by coincidence)

gpfan, Halen, Dessert Storm and 4 others like this.
  2. Guvment mule

Guvment mule Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    y'all always carry a keg of beer when you travel? I like that.
    Bowler, Halen, rrpaigs22 and 2 others like this.
  3. yamtastic

yamtastic Safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    After a great ride over applecross and lunch with Steve the photographer, we headed off into the pouring rain! This is where it became apparent that ski salopettes are great if you want to collect water rather than repel it :nah:doh:baldy

Ah well it's all part of the adventure...apparently :rofl We pressed on towards our destination that day which was Ullapool. About 30 miles from the town we spotted a Dam beside the road which looked interesting, so we pulled in and decided to have a closer look! Somebody may have dared me to ride up the grass / mud bank onto the dam and seeing as I am like a child and easily goaded into doing stupid things I thought OK. Just at this point Steve the photographer arrived and unbeknown to me got his camera out!
    Now I know what you're thinking...that I crashed in spectacular fashion!!! Usually in front of a camera this is my signature move...however today fate had other ideas...
    [​IMG]

As you can see I crested the rise with poise and grace :wings However if you look closely you'll notice the drive chain making a bit for freedom!!!:shog

Now in the lead up to the trip as I mentioned I fitted new chain and sprockets...however! The silver chain arrived with a gold soft link! This did not sit well with my OCD so I ordered a silver one that could be delivered before the trip. This duly turned up...from China! I thought it didn't look the best quality item...but hey!!! it'll be fine!!!:oscar

After 700 miles one of the pins had snapped!!! plus with the last minute assembly pf the bike I didn't have a spare link with me! After some head scratching and trying to refit the link with no success we took a ratchet strap off Dans Africa Twin and made a tow rope! What followed wasn't the most fun ride I've had in high winds and pouring rain...but it got us to Ullapool and a B&B for the evening.
    I put out a number of posts on various forums to try and find a split link for a 525 chain, this and Steve trying all his contacts to get me mobile again finally came up trumps with a guy in Inverness offering us his spare :thumb
    So it was a recovery truck to Inverness where we got the link, fixed the bike and went off exploring around Loch Ness for the day
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

We found a great dirt track to explore and really enjoyed heading off into the hills

Whilst out we popped into Loch Ness Restorations, a company that restores motorcycles in the area. They had offered us a spare link that they had and despite us getting sorted and mobile again I thought it only right that we popped in and thank them :thumb

It turned out they had a fantastic workshop with some interesting machines getting the treatment!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fantastic place and really helpful!

So after a great day and an overnight stay in a pub nearby it was time to head south again and head for home. A great trip and a lesson not to wait for summer to get out on the bike :ricky

[​IMG]
    gpfan, Halen, Herman1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. yamtastic

yamtastic Safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Essential survival fluids :freaky

It's actually a top box with a hinged lid on one end!!! But yeah everyone is suddenly thirsty as we ride past :beer
    gpfan and Guvment mule like this.
  5. OzPhil

OzPhil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Great pics!! Bloody link eh?
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. Great pics.
    yamtastic likes this.
  7. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report, that is great county.
    yamtastic likes this.
  8. Kebabmonster

Kebabmonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. I'm heading up there on a 6 day solo trip in just over 4 weeks. Been a few times with pals and 3 times just me with my son on pillion, but this will be my first time solo.

Reading this just makes me wish I was going tomorrow. Thanks.

Andy
    yamtastic likes this.