Business at Deal's Gap

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by donnymoto, Nov 10, 2009.

1. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the business was actually in Raleigh but I managed to get a few days off work after a conference and then I got to ride west to the Dragon. I checked the weather, my schedule and seemed like I could take the bike. Needed some new tires, iDave graciously helped me put on some new Tourances, well he actually did all the work but I provided the entertainment :lol3 Thanks Dave!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found the nasty nail that gave me a flat a few days back.

[​IMG]

Day 1 I rode down from northern Virginia on i-95. Packed work clothes, camping gear and a couple cameras/lenses/tripod. Mrs DonnyMoto grabbed a parting shot,

[​IMG]

Stopped off at Velocity Motorcycles in Richmond, not a bad shop at all. They've got some very cool bikes. Staff was very nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cafes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to finds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oldies but goodies...

[​IMG]

First bike I ever had when I was 9, wow the memories...

[​IMG]

I definitely want a vintage cafe racer but need a garage. With home prices the way they are, we're thinking of getting into another home with one.

Time for lunch, haven't been here in over 20 years. Got the crabcake sandwich... yummy :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Fan. I Used to live here when I went to VCU and then again when was in this band...
    <OBJECT width=425 height=344>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vIhlIiBKy_g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

Great memories every time I visit. I would meet 2 people from those days long ago.

[​IMG]
  2. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    After lunch I slabbed it to Raleigh. Wasn't bad for highway riding. I was settling into the new (to me) V-Strom. The new tires are night and day difference from the old. Handles so well. I was getting more excited about Deal's Gap now with the bike riding so well.

[​IMG]

The hotel was right next to the Flying Saucer. Over 200 kinds of beer! Newcastle Brown Ale on draught, sweeeet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Across the street, this club. I'm not into that kind of thing, what ever that kind of thing is. Or maybe I am and don't know it? I didn't go, needed to get up early tomorrow and try and focus on work.

[​IMG]

Locked up the bike in the garage, the Clarion has good parking.

[​IMG]
  3. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Lot's of people listening to research data. So I'm at the conference and get a call, who is it but iDave himself! Turns out he's into riding 550 miles down in one day to ride the back roads! We plan to meet and split a room at the 2-Wheel Inn.

[​IMG]

Saw a couple old friends from Richmond there, later that night we went out to the Flying Saucer and then to a restaurant called Five Star. A funky Asian place, wow was that food gooood :thumb

Got back to the room, then pulled out the maps and printouts I'd brought. Popped on the weather channel. Work was done and I was ready to ride.
  4. Elkhound

Elkhound Hunting Dog

Oddometer:
    This is some kind of business trip!
    Nice video too.
  5. demononthebrakes

demononthebrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    donnymoto sorry that I didnt get to meet ya as originally planned BUT I didnt hate missing that 1.5 hour trip to Robbinsville in mid 30 temps. Next time your around these parts lemme know as I would like to meet and ride with ya.:wink:
  6. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Elkhound, we'll have to take a trip down there, you'd love it :deal More video on the way, and this time not from the 80s :thumb

demononthebrakes , yes I'll be back! It was a bit nippy out there in the AM but warmed up very nice around 10-11.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the kind of business trip we all like! Thanks for the report, video and pics :thumb
  8. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 3. Now to the good stuff. I left early, was about 38 degrees, a tab chilly so I stopped in Chapel Hill for coffee at the Red Bicycle. I warmed up the bones then when I'm leaving and working on the iPod in the parking lot, several emergency vehicles stormed by. I thought nothing of it. Then a minute later while hyper focused on the iPod, I hear a voice, "Are you OK?" I look up and the fire truck that had rolled by was right in front of me, lights flashing. I didn't even notice it pull up. I almost laughed and said "no I can't get my iPod working". Then realized they were looking for an emergency scene and probably involved a bike, so I apologized. They left, then a trooper pulls up, the same question. When I left, I saw there was a scooter down. Hope the rider was OK.

Lunch in Asheville. I wanted to go to a Mediterranean place, but it was closed. I hit the pub next to it.

Cherokee, NC. Saw some Elk. Then found some fresh brew. This stuff was local and pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then headed to the motel. Glad the NC DOT engineers ran out of strait pieces. :deal After checkin there was a little light left so I headed out to explore. Yellow Creek road rocked!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at the Inn, Wee and I checked out our rooms,

[​IMG]

iDave showed up... on his KTM! Wait, he said he would ride the Strom... he rode 550 miles on a KTM Supermoto! WOW. We had a good time that evening talking about riding, other things and riding. Dave decided he should divide the next 2 days winding his way back home, which made sense. I had an open schedule and would ride a lot tomorrow and the next day.
  9. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    Good stuff...
  10. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day4. Next morning we wake, I leave Dave at the Inn, would have liked to have ridden with him as along as I could keep up, which isn't long but it's fun while it lasts! Later Dave! His report is here, he has a way with words... :thumb

[​IMG]

Heading out around 8am, nice scenery. Forecast sunny with temps in the 70's. Not bad for November.

[​IMG]

Fugitive Dam, getting closer.

[​IMG]

Here at last! Was the first bike other than some parked at the hotel. Had breakfast right when they opened at 9. Man this place is quite a scene, bikers and drivers started showing up. Plenty of friendly folks all over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man this is going to cramp my style... :1drink

[​IMG]

Quick video of bikes heading out to run the Dragon, I was INTO it, this place is great! I'm sitting there pounding down coffee, getting ready to ride... A quick video of riders taking off
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHEFNvpAas0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

Little did I know parts of my bike other than the tires would soon be in contact with the pavement....
  11. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report so far. We're neighbors (almost). I've enjoyed my 'Strom for many years - it's probably the best all-round bike that I've ever owned.

It's always nice to combine business with pleasure - my best shot was in 2005, when I had to go out to St. Louis on business. Made the trip in conjunction with a two-week ride, and the mileage from Sterling to St. Louis & back pretty much funded the whole two weeks :D
  12. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey MichaelJ, yes we are neighbors. iDave is in Sterling as well. My mileage RT will be over 500 miles, @ $.55 a mile. That's only to and from business destination (hi boss!). Not too bad at all, Yours must have been great :deal
  13. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Report! Sounds like you had a blast.
  15. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Cigar

Cigar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report!

You are correct about iDave having a way with the written word.
  17. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I just spent two days in Richmond at conferences so I feel your pain! I didn't get to ride there and back to salve my wounds, though, you lucky dog.

Glad the NC DOT engineers ran out of strait pieces. :deal

When I first moved to Virginia from Wyoming I was marvelling at all the curvy roads. My girlfriend said, "It's a State law - no straight roads." :D That's about right!

OK, so what's this about "parts of the bike other than tires being in contact with the pavement"?? Damn...

Doug
  18. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Asphalt Assault and Cigar :D GotMojo? Yes Killboy.com as well, I will check that one out as well.

Hello manfromthestix! Wasn't the luggage. Wasn't a crash. It was the... wait a minute the phone is ringing.
  19. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tail of the Dragon

Everything I expected and more. What a great ride, what a great place. As I said it's really a scene. Seeing bikers trailering and riding their stock and modified bikes in this morning; all the work that has been put into those machines and skills riding them, all the aspirations for the day, all types of bikes and riders. Sports, cruisers, dual sports, motards, trikes, scooters, everyone was different yet all the same sharing a common passion.

Wish the world was like this. In this one spot straddling NC and TN, cultures merge harmoniously and the energy (which is plentiful) is very abundant and positive. This is the whole vibe I got and didn't even think about when coming here. I'm sure this place has its moments, but I was completely absorbed in it and today was a great day. A very great day.

[​IMG]
    My plan for Saturday was to run the Dragon once, then head Rt 58 south into Georgia, then back via Clayton and hit the Cherohala Skwy at dusk. I couldn't leave Deal's Gap though, so I stayed all morning. Will forgo the ride to Georgia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest area was very scenic, and a cool hangout. Met a local and his wife there, talked a lot about local riding both street and offroad. Talked to many others there. I need to pull out the camera more and take shots of ppl I meet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The parking lot at the end of the Dragon. Nice wheels: this Lotus was parked there because the keys were locked in the trunk. :norton Someone had gotten a ride back to the hotel to see if there were spares. Nice to know I'm not the only spaceball on this planet.

[​IMG]

Now for some video. Part of a run after it started getting busy.
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UY2Qe1LMLB8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

2 runs out and back = a real big smile :) I was ready to see other roads for the afternoon, the Dragon was getting crowded and clear runs would be hard to find. I shot this pic before the last run from the TN parking lot.

[​IMG]
  20. donnymoto

donnymoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thorne, thanks for stopping in.

demononthebrakes; yes "I'll be back". We'll ride!