Buy bike in Quebec - register in Ontario?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Laros, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone bought a used bike in Quebec and registered it in Ontario?

I really like the Used Vehicle Report that Ontario mandates. For $20 the buyer gets the vehicle history plus confirmation of any liens on the bike. However, when you transfer the ownership you must have it.

So, if I buy a bike in Quebec do I get something similar that will be accepted by my local MTO office, and that I can rely on to know there are no liens on the bike?

Any advice is very much appreciated!:ear

L
  2. Serge LeMay

Serge LeMay Dirtmedic

Oddometer:
    Bury, Quebec, Center of the middle of nowhere
    I know you can get a bit of history of the vehicule you want to buy, just not sure if it's the SAAQ:puke1 that provides this info.Anyway here's the number 1-800-361-7620.

cheers:freaky

Serge
  3. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    you only need that package if the bike is from Ontario. it's a rip off. i bought a bike in Quebec before nothing to it. ONE EXCEPTION ,IF THAT BIKE IS A REBUILT ( CRASHED AND THEN PUT BACK TOGETHER AND TAGGED BY THE INSURANCE COMPANY , YOU WILL NOT GET A TITLE IN ONTARIO. Ontario will take a rebuilt from Ontario only. get the serial number and check with the m.t.o. before you buy it. they will tell you right away.

north rider
  4. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    excellent advice, North Rider and Serge; thank you both.

I will call both groups you suggested and make sure there are no liens and no rebuild on the title.

thanks!!:clap :clap

L
  5. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turns out the seller is a dealer, and says he must collect both taxes.

Too bad, I thought I was buying it privately so only pst would apply when I do the transfer. But, I can live with the extra 5% tax.

However, should I still do the transfer at my local MTO office? Will they accept a receipt saying I paid the taxes and not charge me pst?

Or do I pay both taxes to the Quebec guy and claim the Quebec sales tax (or the HST?) back and still pay the pst here?

We've made the deal already, but now I am confused about the taxes. :deal

Help, please!!

Thanks!!

L

L
  6. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Sorry Mang, that one is outside my scope but here is what I read:

Licensing Vehicles Registered Out-of-Province

1. Completed Application for Registration. A Supplementary Application is also required if the vehicle is registered to two persons or if the plate and vehicle owners are different. Blank applications are available at ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Offices (cannot be downloaded from the Internet).
    2. The original copy of the vehicle registration permit in your name. If the permit is not in your name, a signed Bill of Sale describing the vehicle fully from the seller to you is also required. If you have a Certificate of Title in your name and wish to keep it, you must provide a legible photocopy of the title with the original. The licence office will view the original title, keep the photocopy and return the original to you at the same time. The ministry does not mail back titles to applicants. Make sure you collect your title before you leave the licence office.
    3. A Safety Standards Certificate (SSC) if the vehicle is registered "fit". This Certificate is not required for new, unregistered vehicles or trailers or motor assisted bicycles (mopeds) or vehicles registered "unfit".
    4. A Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions Pass Report may be required if the vehicle is being registered as 'fit" in the Drive Clean program area. Current and future model year vehicles are exempt. For more information on the Drive Clean Program, call the Drive Clean Call Centre at1-888-758-2999 or visit the Drive Clean Website. Note: Motorcycles/motor scooters do not have to pass an emission test.
    5. Ontario insurance company's name and policy number if the vehicle is being plated in Ontario.
    6. Odometer information for passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles (3000 kg or less and for personal and business use only) and buses (non prorate). Heavy commercial vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, off-road vehicles, snowmobiles and mopeds are exempt from the odometer information requirement.
    7. Provincial Retail Sales Tax (RST) of eight percent on the declared value of the vehicle. If you are becoming an Ontario resident, instead of paying the sales tax, an exemption declaration may be completed at the time of vehicle registration. For plated motor vehicles that are 20 years or older, the RST is payable on the greater of either one of the following:
      • the purchase price
      • the replacement value for insurance purposes
      • the appraised value of the vehicle.
      For other RST exemptions, please contact the ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Contact Centre at 416-235-2999 or toll free (Canada-Wide) at 1-800-387-3445 (Canada wide).
      The Ministry of Transportation collects retail sales tax (RST) on behalf of the Retail Sales Tax Branch of the Ministry of Finance. For further information on RST, please contact them.
    8. Fees: $20.00 for licence plates and a vehicle permit. The owner will also be required to buy plate validation from the date of vehicle registration to the assigned validation expiry. Fees will be calculated according to the class of vehicle and declaration(s).
      Effective January 1, 2005, all personal cheques must be certified unless payment is sent by mail.
    9. Proof of identity (name, date of birth and signature) for applicant who has never registered a plate or vehicle with this ministry.
    10. Outside Canada - Additional Requirement
      Customs Clearance Form (Vehicle Import Form 1)
    For further information, or information about how to license new unregistered vehicles, please complete our online feedback form, or contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Call Centre at 416-235-2999 or toll free at 1-800-387-3445.

I read 7 as you are exempt RST because you have Ontario ID. Get the form beforehand, fill and fax to the dealer and Merry Christmas to Larry:clap .

Go get em Killer!
    drcool
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    That don't smell right. I bought from QC, plated in ON, and the shop only charged me GST, MTO collected the PST.

Maybe the rules changed, but I doubt it. Sounds like he just doesn't want to have to remember to note the sale was different on his taxes. It is more paperwork for him, that he's required to do by law.

I'd check. IIRC, QC PST is higher than ON. You can claim it back, but it takes months, and YOU get the hassle.

He wants to sell a bike at this time of the season, he can do what he's required to.
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend bought a bike in Quebec, paid both taxes, then got a refund from Quebec when he provided proof that he registered it and paid the PST here, but it took months.
  9. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Drif and Drcool. - also rec'd a pm from Northrider. This site and it's inmates are awesome.

I've been doing a little research too. I know I'll have to pay the gst because it is from a dealer - whether the dealer is in Ontario or Quebec. Just too bad I did not know he was a dealer when we made the deal so I would have known the agreed was price was plus 5%. Oh well, c'est la vie.

It looks like I'll have to pay the dealer both gst and the Quebec pst, then pay the MTO the Ontario pst, then apply for the Quebec pst back.

A little extra hassle, but I should end up with the bike I've been looking for.

Hope to show up at the Fall Colours ride with it!!:clap

L.
  10. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks, GB - I guess we posted at the same time - same info! :norton
  11. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I bought a couple of bikes from out of province, had to pay the provincial tax when I bought them into Ontario.

I did pay the provincial tax in Manitoba once, (dealer didn't know the rules) and it took forever and some paperwork to get the money back.
  12. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    I bought a bike in Quebec from the dealer. As said, I had to pay their tax and ours when i went to register it. But i actually got the tax back from Quebec pretty quick, only a few weeks
  13. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys.

I picked up the bike on Firday night and paid both taxes...I found a form on the Quebec provincial website to complete and mail in for the rebate.

Will let you know how long it takes to get it back.

Right now I'm still getting over the excitement of the new bike! So far I love it - a 2006 GS 1200 in better condition than I expected. It's hard to buy a bike from a few a pictures on the computer screen, but this turned out just fine!
  14. rony05

rony05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you are lucky one. i waited almost 4 months to get back my taxes from quebec.
    i bought bike from moto internationale and it's all depend on good will of dealer. they don't need to collect taxes but then more hassle for them . if they collect more hassle for you.
  15. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Thats where I bought my bike too. I asked them not to take the taxes off, but they just said they will give me a form to fill out for the government. I presume its a pain for them from an accounting stand point if they dont take taxes off.

I was very surprised on how fast i got my money back from Quebec.
  16. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new (to you) bike!