Buyer beware- ADVMonster lighting

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by crash a-ron, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that sucks majorly. I bought two sets of lights from @sanjoh and had a positive experience with a return, but it does bum me out a lot that he isn't consistent in his service. It really doesn't make sense.. you would think a seller who has a pretty clear market (hence the name...) would want to respect the community in which they sell, and there's been a whole mess of threads like this that paint a very poor picture. Wouldn't it be easier and more economical to just make a return? Seems like he's losing more business than gaining by pulling this kind of stuff.
  2. chopfather

chopfather Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry for your troubles op but I'm glad that you shared your experience. I was thinking about telling my wife to get me some ADV Monster lights for my Ural for Father's Day but I guess I'll keep shopping for some affordable LED lights elsewhere.
    crash a-ron and Stasher1 like this.
  3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Same here, I was looking at changing out the lights on my bike. Now I know who to avoid.
    PopTart and crash a-ron like this.
  4. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Case in point above ^ This is such a terrible business model.
    PopTart and crash a-ron like this.
  5. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This crook will never get any money from me.
    I'd be on the phone with the credit card people.
    crash a-ron likes this.
  6. Wowser

Wowser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Threads like this should be pinned to the top. People need to know where to not spend their money.
  7. gen1fizzy

Oddometer:
    The sad part is that if we are able to put him out of business, he'll emerge later with another name and start all over again.
    DonniBoi likes this.
  8. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i have absolutely no interest in putting him or anyone alse out of buisiness,,,, there is a need for lower priced options,, consumers just need to be aware that lower priced merchandise is often called disposable for a reason.
  9. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO, if you're going to buy cheap Chinese lights, just buy them from Amazon. They definitely have their faults, but their customer service is typically very good.
    DonniBoi and TavisB like this.
  10. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    I have had great performance and service from Cyclops.
    Just thought I would mention one possible better option.
    413Sean and crash a-ron like this.
  11. gen1fizzy

Oddometer:
    If he sells things that won't fit then refuses to give a refund, what do you think he deserves?
    crash a-ron and DonniBoi like this.
  12. LarryGS

LarryGS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My headlight bulb came without installation instructions. There needed to be some modification made to the headlight to have the bulb fit correctly, as told to me by the seller, AFTER the bulb failed.
    I was offered a new bulb at a 5 or 10% discount from the new bulb price.
    I’ve found a better alternative :wings.
    DonniBoi likes this.
  13. DonniBoi

DonniBoi Out of my element Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just looking through his page again. I'm not sure all his reviews are real. Customer service is #1 to me. I don't care that he's selling cheap China stuff just don't stick it to us when they fail. I'm sure he's making good money on each bulb. If he just eat the cost of doing business sometimes I'm sure people will keep coming back. I did eBay for years and it's not that hard. Especially when you have no actual store front. Giving away a few free bulbs because they are cheap and will fail seems like a better model than selling very few high end lights. Plus with how people change motorcycles he'd have way more business by not screwing return customers.
    Motomantra likes this.
  14. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    My only experience with this seller wasn't much. I bought a couple of the small, round lights for DRL use. I also ordered similar cheap Chinese lights form Amazon. The ones that came from ADVMonster are identical, except for the wire colors, to the Chinese cheapies.
    Is this a "Re-badging" thing? Can't say for sure. The screws don't want to come loose, so I didn't disassemble.
  15. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    this is from his website (Guaranteed to fit or your money back.)

he doesnt deserve my buisiness, and doesnt get it. i think he's a liar and has bad buisiness etiquette. the fact that he likes to shout out
    (Veteran Owned and Operated Semper Fi) makes it even worse.

heres my experience with him.

i wanted to compare his H4 with the first one Cyclops put out,,, being a web seller i asked him if i would be able to return it, new and unused if i didnt want it once in my hands for a look and feel, he said no problem.

when i got his light it had a thick plastic adaptor ring on it and wouldnt fit but i liked the Cyclops light better anyway and decided to go with it.
    so i tried to take Sanjoh up on his return and wouldnt ya know he said he doesnt take returns unless its a defective product, i reminded him what he said and that was all there was to it. i still have his H4 led bulb new, unused in the box it came in.

after that happened i called him out in one of his threads,,, ya know what happened? the Mods booted it. so long as the mods shelter shitty vendors and play favorites we'll never really get the word out of caution to the newer inmates here, and the shitty vendors know that, so thats why i'm not interested in trying to put him out of buisiness, i dont think it'll work, but i'll share my experience and words of caution to anyone who will listen.

i'm actually surprised this thread hasnt been booted yet.
    silverbandit1 and gen1fizzy like this.
  16. Wowser

Wowser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fact that he hasn’t responded to anything in this thread says more about him than we ever could.
  17. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see people speaking up about crappy service. I've seen this a couple times around this vendor and I'm one to buy my knockoffs direct from China and save myself $$$. What's funny is that he's not the only one that relabels Chinese items- I've seen it with the air compressors too. And they all say that the parts are upgraded and different internals, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I'm surprised this thread has been allowed to go on so long and I hope others speak up as well. Sadly, I'll bet it'll get booted within a couple days. I hope I'm wrong.
    OzRider64 and crash a-ron like this.
  18. crash a-ron

crash a-ron mmm...burnt steel Supporter

Oddometer:
    UPDATE. It has been 6 weeks since the seller received my return. I even paid the return shipping cost as well.

Today he replied to my PayPal complaint (he has not replied to emails since I returned the bulb).

He offered me a store credit. What BS. Why would I take a store credit from a vendor with such crappy customer service?

Why is it so hard for ADVmonster to give a full refund for a new return product THAT DOESN’T FIT??? Such crap.

Take this as warning folks- this is what he does to customers. Steer clear.
    OzRider64 likes this.
  19. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd file a complaint with my bank/credit card provider and let them deal with it. They'll refund your money right away and back charge his account to recoup their money.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Will PayPal disregard his suggested resolution since you don't agree and force his hand.