Buying a Bike in India

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Chat Lunatique, Jan 15, 2015.

1. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:

keep me posted bud. i am from jaipur 150 miles from delhi but now in hyderabad. have travelled extensively across India on wheels 2/4..

for anything just PM me. just saw your thread and you are welcome to India.
  2. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  3. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    replied. add me on whatsapp else will communicate over email however whatsapp /FB will be easier to work through. :)
  4. Arthurwg

Arthurwg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a recent non-motorcycling trip to India I stopped by the KTM dealer in Mumbai to ask about prices. I seems that a KTM 390 would cost about $4500.00 US, but ownership, as discussed, is limited to residents. Seems like a better option than the RE. I'm wondering what other ownership options might be available. Have it registered to a local and than ride it under a rental agreement? I imagine that the KTM will eventually be offered as a rental by someone.
  5. Chat Lunatique

Oddometer:
    Art - Yeah, I'm buying my Enfield through a third party. It won't be my in my name. The big disadvantage to the KTM 390 is the fuel tank, only 11 liters. Plus with the high rear fender carrying luggage is a bitch. OK if you are city commuter, but long distance??? Check out online pics of the 390 loaded up and you'll see what I mean. Now, on the Enfield, you can carry whatever you want. 5 gallon jugs of fuel, duffle bag across panniers etc., but not as reliable. Pros and cons to both machines.
  6. Arthurwg

Arthurwg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr. Lunatique,

We must have something in common. I've just completed my 7th trip to India, the first one in 1975 by Land Rover. I too would love to live in India; I just love it there. Don't think I could make that a permanent move however. I'm a bit older than you....

I would, however, like to spend a few months there, on a bike....
  7. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    KTM Duke 200/390 all the way. I rode one across Ladakh and was very happy with the handling, power, brakes etc.. There are specific saddle bags available for the Dukes in India that don't need any additional racks/stays as they use the existing hardware on the Duke for its mounting. Just google "saddle bags for duke 200/390" and there is quite a few choices.
    I carried an extra 5 liter of fuel in a container and that's all I needed for the 365km of no fuel from Mandi to Leh (Manali to Leh) and I didn't even use it in Zanskar and Spiti (but just about run out of fuel coming back from Nubra Valley (over Wari La, with no traffic!) because the 'petrol station' there was closed and I hadn't filled up the container...)
  8. Chat Lunatique

Oddometer:
    Yeah mate, I understand what you say. I Googled what you said and looked at all the images. Hard luggage looked good but soft panniers were little purses, otherwise they flap like wings into the rear tyre travel zone unless you install guards as well. 5 liters of extra fuel gets you over the basic fuel bingo point on the run up to Leh ie. the main path where everybody and his brother are. To reach the little places just further down the road, I need more fuel. I will carry 12 liters spare + 14 tank = 26 total. Panniers I carry are Siskiyou for 35+35 litres and a dry 100 liter duffle across the pillion on top of them. Hell of a lot more options open with that load. Just too much for the Duke, center of gravity would be too high.
  9. stewacide

stewacide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can one get away with riding a motorcycle in India - even crossing borders with it - without having it registered in your name? Perhaps with some sort of notarized letter from the registered owner who you bought the bike from?

I'm trying to get an idea if a long motorcycle tour around India and Nepal (Nepal for the visa reset period) is possible on a backpackers budget with manageable red tape.

p.s. What small (100-250cc) proper motorcycles (not scooters) are available on the Indian used market? And at what sort of prices?
  10. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    p.s. What small (100-250cc) proper motorcycles (not scooters) are available on the Indian used market? And at what sort of prices?[/QUOTE]

Check out: xBhp.com (...What bike) or bmctouring.com (...Motorcycles) or team-bhp.co (...Motorbikes)
  11. vaish

vaish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For touring you have any options ,... as KIWIAL mentioned you can ref. those 2 websites ...

100cc -
    1. Hero
    2. Honda
    3. Yamaha

150 cc BEST options :
    1. Yamaha : FZ, FAZER
    2. Honda : Unicron
    3. Suzuki : 150 GX ( But used bike on the list will be less as the model launched few months ago)

200 - 250 cc BEST options :
    1. KTM : 200
    2. Honda : 250 CBR
  12. vaish

vaish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the KTM Duke is good bike, but be careful with the over heating if you push the bike ... so take breaks in between ...