buying a bike in India

Discussion in 'Asia' started by rogerdodger, Oct 16, 2008.

1. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im currently in Thailand and heading to India in a couple of weeks time. I want to head up to nepal and ladak. I dont have my flight booked yet, but my travel agent tells me she can get me the cheapest deal if I fly into Calcutta.

i have a feeling this question has been asked a few times before and people on both sides of the deal have been dicked around. Im a straight up guy. i want a good deal, but Im not looking to rob someone. just a good bike and maybe a ride buddy for some of the trip.
  2. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Well, In India, you can buy a bike provided you have a proof from your Embass otherwise you can rent one. Though if you are in nepal, you can buy a bike without much issues.

Secondly, Ladakh will be shut out to visitors by road very soon due to snowfall.

Last, getting down at Calcutta may be cheap but i am not sure if you will like the city much. Plus its a little far from your travel destinations.
  3. KimR

KimR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen lots of people recommend a dealer in Mumbai (I'll look up his name if it's relevant). But, like Calcutta, it's a long ways from your destinations. Delhi's a lot closer to your destination and maybe Chanderjeet or others can recommend someone there.
  4. alfonso-lanka

alfonso-lanka Mercator

Oddometer:
    From what I have researched in the past months, Delhi is the most convenient place both to start your tour and to buy/rent a bike (as well as almost anything you need).
    Forget about reaching Ladakh between October and June.
    You can reach Spiti Valley though - not through Manali but, if you take the long road from Shimla through Sutlej Valley to Sumdo. That road is supposed to be open all year (but be prepared for snow and delays on the Nako-to-Sumdo stretch). You'll also need a ILP (Inner Line Permit), which can be obtained in Recong Peo.
    If you need a road map for the part from Shimla onwards, I can send you a pdf-file, or if you have a PDA with GPS and OziExplorer running, a georeferenced copy as well.

Even if the road to Spiti might be open in winter time, you're not going to enjoy the weather. Temperatures regularly drop below - 20 Celsius, often up to -40!
  5. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:

If You can't go frm manali towards spiti, that would also mean that you will have to come back to same route.
  6. alfonso-lanka

alfonso-lanka Mercator

Oddometer:
    Correct. You've got two high passes to cross: the Rohtang Pass (between Manali and the Chandra Valley), and the Kunzum La (between Chandra Valley and Spiti Valley). Once one of them is closed for extended wintersleep, there's only one way to go and that's the eastern road from Shimla to the Chinese border along the Sutlej river. There is a helicopter pad near Sumdo though, but don't know whether it's within your financial means, nor if it is not for military use only :D
  7. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. alfonso-lanka

alfonso-lanka Mercator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the leads - they're indeed very helpful.

For the Indian part of your trip: if you need a good detailed map of Ladakh and the Leh - Lahaul - Spiti - Shimla route, I have made myself possible the best maps available. Happy to share. The should be ok for GPS navigation too, but ultimately need to verify this on the road myself (will happen in July/Aug 2009). Just give me a buzz. The pdf-version is readily available. The navigation version is using OziExplorer as software, but I could try to calibrate for Trackmaker also (last one is free software, but limited to PC/laptop only, while OziExplorer works on PDA/smartphone under Windows mobile too).

Just make sure you can cross the Pakistan/Indian border. I believe it's not always open.
    regards, alfonso