Buying A Bike In Israel?

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by VirgilMaps, Oct 17, 2015.

1. VirgilMaps

VirgilMaps n00b

Oddometer:
    Holy shit bikes are expensive here!

So, I moved to Israel a while back and immediately started looking for a ride only to discover that motorbikes are:
    1) Ridiculously expensive here.
    2) Not very common.
    With these revelations in mind I resigned myself to go without a bike and stick with the more economical human powered version (also way overpriced).

Fast forward one year and I have taught my girlfriend to ride (she got her scooter licence a few months ago :clap) and convinced her we should by a bike. Unfortunately not much has changed in motorbike pricing or availability here in Israel but I am determined not to give up.

My question is this, does anyone have any experience finding cheap bikes in Israel or, is it economically viable to import from the States or Europe? The models I would be interested in are DR's, XT's, XR's... so basically the cheaper end of the dual purpose spectrum.

Cheers,
    Virgil
  2. VirgilMaps

VirgilMaps n00b

Oddometer:
    As a side note, Israel seems to be a black hole round these parts, very minimal info. Any Israel specific threads around?
  3. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am here now and can tell you that motorcycling is an expensive hobby around here. Most of the motorcycles that I have seen , are owned by very well heeled riders.
  4. boscoman

boscoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While Israelis will riot over the cost of cottage cheese going up, they just shrug their shoulders & accept a 100 % tax on vehicles, & obscene fuel costs. That being said; if you have been in Israel for more than a year more than likely your benefits as a new Olim have run out & you can not import a new bike from the US. At best you might be able to get a bike that is more than 25 years old in as an antique.Even that is questionable. Unfortunately the only dealer I am familiar with is a Harley dealer in Peta Tikva. Good people there that can probably still lead you in the right direction as far as bikes in Israel go in general.
  5. King156

King156 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you are still on here, but to point out the obvious, Israel works much differently than America.
    For instance, I knew a rabbi that would rent a car the entire year instead of just buying one. Why? Because it was cheaper to rent the car all year than to buy a car & to pay for repairs & any other fees....of course, in America, it's much cheaper to buy a car than to rent one for 365 days each year.

That being said, you supposedly can rent smaller BMW adventure bikes in Petach Tikva (might be that same Harley dealer as Boscoman stated). Then you wouldn't have to worry about finding parts, tools, tires & such: http://motorisrael.com/

Also OP, if you haven't figured it out by now, there is minimal online info about things in Israel. That's because in Israel info/misinformation is passed around by word-of-mouth via phone or face-to-face. Searching for things on the internet is usually useless. Even government agencies' websites will have outdated & incorrect info. Basically, you would just have to call them & get the correct & up-to-date info. It might be the same thing at the BMW rental place too.

You could also try Janglo.net or Yad2.co.il & tell people what you are searching for.
  6. boscoman

boscoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Freedom _Lover156, thanks for the link to the rental place. Something new for me to do with my son on my next visit!
  7. King156

King156 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. boscoman

boscoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  9. deg10715

deg10715 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any recommendations on where to buy a used scooter 250cc or so? I need to be there for a month and don't want to deal with a chain etc.