Buying a helmet from Europe.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by B10Dave, Sep 5, 2019.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at and wanting a Nolan N100-5 Consistency helmet in the Yellow colour since they came out and replaced the N104 model. I looked for dealers in Ontario on the internet but only found Fort Nine near Montreal listed. They have the N100-5 consistency helmets in three colours; yellow being one of them. Price is $570.99 plus tax for a total of $645.22 with free shipping. Hmmm; can I better this price? Google lead me to the Chromeburner site. They are based in the Netherlands and the site looked legit and they will list everything in Canadian dollars for you. They list the Consistency model in 8 colours; yellow being one of them. Their price is $498.32 Canadian with free shipping. Tax and duty will be added at this end so their total price will be close to $600 Canadian. Better but still no bargain. Not enough savings to go that route. Next dealer to pop up was Motoin in Germany. They have the N100-5 in 11 colours, yellow being one of them with a price of $541.51 Canadian and $29.21 Canadian flat rate shipping for a total of $570.71 plus tax and duty on this end. This will end up more than Fort Nine so also a no go.

The next site to come up was Burn Out Italy. They also have the N100-5 consistency model in 11 colours; yellow being one of them Their price with a discount code found on the site came out to $421.48 Canadian with free shipping. This looked promising. I figured that even with tax and duty it should be less than $500 so I put in an order for one on Thursday August 22nd. I used PayPal so if I had any difficulties they would make getting my money back easier. The site said shipping would occur August 28th. When I placed my order I immediately got an email thanking me for my purchase and stating that when the helmet shipped I would get an email confirming that and a tracking number for the package. The site had the http green sign that it is secure so I figured my money was reasonably safe.

A few days after I sent in my order I googled reviews for Burn Out Italy. Oh Oh. Most of them were less than flattering and some downright ugly. Had I made a major mistake? Will I get my helmet or my money back? Or was I about to learn an expensive lesson?

August 28th came and went without an email confirming shipping. Also the 29th, 30th and 31st. On Sunday Sept. 1st I sent an email asking when I can expect shipping to occur and reminding them that they already have my money and I expect them to live up to their half of this transaction.on Monday morninig I checked my emails and found one from Elizabetta stating that my order had shipped that very morning. "Right" I thought; but in a few seconds another email showed up reconfirming my order and in another few seconds a third email arrived with a Fedex tracking number. Now we're getting somewhere. I checked with Fedex and the number didn't show in their system. A check about 10 minutes later did confirm that they would be delivering me a package on Monday Sept. 9th before 8PM.

Monday I checked the tracking and found that they received the package info at 7:32 AM and had picked it up at 11:30. It was showing at their facility in Italy and then "in transit". By Tuesday morning it was in Tennessee and later in the day had arrived in Mississauga. Wednesday I went out to a section breakfast in Sarnia and when I got home there was a message from Fedex that there was duty and taxes due before thy could deliver my package. I called and paid a total of $63.64 to get rid of the government ransom that was holding up my delivery. They were still telling me that delivery is scheduled for Monday the 9th. But as this is only Wed. that it may come Friday.

This morning I checked the tracking again and the package had been forwarded to London and arrived at 10:48 AM, was put on a delivery truck at 11:15 and would be delivered to my Aylmer address before 8PM today. The driver actually showed up at 2:30 pm at my door. Considering that they only took 3 days and 3 hours to get my package from Italy to my door with the shipping only standard rate and not expedited speaks well of Fedex.

bikes 006.jpg
    My total cost in Canadian dollars, including tax and duty was $485.02. This is a $160.20 saving over Fort Nine's price. Am I happy? Yes. Would I do it again? Maybe. Your results may vary....Dave
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  2. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad it turned out well for you. Not sure if I would order something like that on line as I prefer to try it on first. A friend ordered a helmet on line and he had no issues either but it did take a little longer than expected.
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a good experience with Motoin getting a helmet that wasn't available at all in North America.
    B10Dave likes this.
  4. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that you got it without TOO MUCH hassle. I have a tough time buying wearables unless I can easily return - that means not across a border unfortunately.

The HTTPS green lock means that the web site provider paid a few bucks for a certificate for their site, and your communication to them is encrypted, nothing more than that. Your info can still be stolen from the store's webserver by anyone that has access there - including whatever shady types might have hacked in. So it's helpful but not a guarantee of safety.
    B10Dave likes this.
  5. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have bought a couple of helmets from fc-moto in Germany. I was replacing existing ones so I knew the size. No hassles, relatively fast deliver (considering) and saved about 30%. You can save about the same on boots as well. You used to be able to save on jackets and pants but the spread now is so little that it is not worthwhile.
    B10Dave likes this.
  6. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did something similar and purchased form FC-Moto recently as well. Saved around $100 after shipping and taxes for a Nolan helmet and shield. Tried ordering form Fortnine but they didn't have my size in the colour I wanted; ended up saving a bunch in the process.
  7. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have purchased many items from motostorm in italy...saved hundreds...large boxes with givi hard cases. for several.bikes..i do have these items shipped to a ups store in Port Huron Michigan...then bring them across myself....did get hit with duties one time.from fuck/Ex but i would do it again....saving are worth it.....
  8. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be concerned that it might be missing a DOT sticker since they're not required in Europe, which could get you a ticket in US/Canada if a cop notices it's missing.
  9. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably not.
    AFAIK the ECE helmet standard is accepted in Canada. Apart from that, unless it's a
    pudding bowl or something that doesn't look like a conventional helmet the constable probably
    won't notice.
    gpfan and ScooterNoMore like this.
  10. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When was the last time you heard of anyone getting the sticker checked on their helmet?
    gpfan likes this.
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    ECE rating valid in BC, don't know about the rest of Canada.
    A few years ago now my helmet did get checked at a checkstop. I was inclined to keep facing the person (RCMP) I was talking to (which is what one usually does), he wanted to see the back of my helmet.
    ECE helmets have the certification label sewn onto the strap so the helmet has to come off to prove its legality.
    I don't know how it works out riding into a DOT only area with an ECE lid. Usually if one is legal at home you're OK in other areas. Window tint comes mind as an easily spotted example.
  12. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a Nolan N100-5 helmet from Chromeburners a few months ago. Absolutely seamless transaction. Had color I wanted and didn't find elsewhere, processed the order overnight, no hassle. Helmet at my door in Oklahoma from the Netherlands inside of two weeks. And I saved a a few bucks too! I'd do it again when I need a helmet.
    B10Dave likes this.