Buying a motorcycle in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by fredfuchs, Mar 23, 2016.

1. fredfuchs

fredfuchs n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the paperwork requirements for a foreigner buying a motorcycle in Malaysia and driving it to Thailand and Laos?
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buying new at a dealer requires only an address, we used my brother in laws restaurant address, insurance required before registerstion, you can get this at the border , which would cover both countries for 3 months for about $10, but the catch is, it is needed before registerstion, we paid about $100 us for the first year for our 150
  3. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also if you have a previous reservation at a hotel etc, at the border go yo the main office an request a 30 day stamped visa, just say the 14 days is not enough to tour all of thai, you will be limited to 30 days total anyway because of the import/ customs doc on the bike, also you cannot put a bike on the train in malysia but once in thailand it is possible if you want to wait for an opening on the baggage car, the sleeper is an ice box n short if 6-3 or more
  4. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I'm an American living in Malaysia. Americans get 3 months visa on arrival at the border and can drive on their American license for 3 months.

You can buy a bike on a tourist visa. As Yokeman already referenced, I think buying at a dealer is helpful for the paperwork. They do it for you for about $10 and it'll save you lots of time and running around.
    Once the bike is in your name there is no problem taking it into Thailand. I once rode into Thailand, got my passport squared away and bought insurance at the border but didn't realize I needed paperwork on my bike. I then rode all the way to Laos and couldn't leave Thailand without turning the paperwork back in that I never got. Long story short, what I found is that Thailand is very strict about the paperwork on the motorcycle at the Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos borders but pretty lax at the Southern border with Malaysia so its possible to ride in without even knowing you skipped a step.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    also once u have the bike u can reregister at the post office, there is one in Chang lun, few clicks south of the sadao crossing, across the street, down to the end of the complex n across that u will see an insurance agent , half the price of that at the PO
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have our fz150 for sale now, rode throughout thailand n into a bit of Laos for over 90 days, about 17000km but leaving tomorrow.