Buying a new Bike in Quebec and registering in Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by KurtRules, Sep 22, 2020.

1. KurtRules

KurtRules Come as you are!

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I intend to purchase a new bike in Quebec (Montreal) and get it registered in Ontario, as the deal I am getting is a good one. Anyone who has done that before, can you help me with the process?
    Thanks!
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Be sure to confirm with them you will be registering the vehicle in Ontario - so they charge the HST (Ontario) tax.
    They will give you several forms that must have signatures from the seller, and from the buyer - the signatures can not be photocopies.
    Send the VIN to your insurance company and get a temp insurance slip.
    Take the forms to Service Ontario and get your registration and plate.

The forms will be different at each dealer, as they are sales contracts.
    Before you sign the forms, confirm the sales tax paid is for HST - Ontario.
    Meet@Trudys and KurtRules like this.
  3. jasiu

jasiu Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The process is very simple if you are buying bike from the dealer. Last year in February I bought bike from SMSports in Quebec City, they send me the invoice by email which I used in Ministry of Transportation to register the bike in Ontario. Since I paid taxes in Quebec (GST / QST of 14.975%) I didn't paid any taxes in Ontario. You may apply for the refund since taxes in Ontario are lower, 13% HST. This is what I was told by the dealer when I inquiry about taxes issue:
    "we have to charge you GST / QST of 14.975% because the transaction is made over here even if you are from Ontario"
    If you are planning to ride your new bike home ask dealer to get you temporary plates which are called 'transit' in Quebec and you are ready to go. Not sure for how long the transit papers are valid. In my case I hire transport company to get my bike to Toronto, not the cheap option but since I was stack at work I had no option. The transport and bike crate cost me $1K, $550 transport and $450 crate. Must say very solid crate, metal frame with bolted plywood walls:

upload_2020-9-22_8-43-7.png

Good luck with the purchase and please let us know what bike you bought.

Cheers!
  4. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    The salesman lied to you. They can charge sales tax to whichever province the vehicle will be registered.
    That is how the transaction went for my Tenere 700, purchased a few weeks ago from a dealer in Montreal.

Good advice about the transit sticker - it's good for 10 days.
  5. jasiu

Oddometer:
    I like to think he didn't lie, he was just misinformed :) I didn't argue, wanted the bike and follow the process. I lost few $$ on this transaction since I didn't applied for refund.
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  6. KurtRules

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I called the dealer,

That is what he told me. How easy/difficult was it getting it registered in Ontario? Curious since, the sales person said that I don't have to pay any taxes at Service Ontario - The bill of sale and proof of tax will have to be shown and then all I have to pay is the licensing and plating.
  7. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    It was easy, actually. I brought a copy of my sales contract and gave them to the clerk to keep.
    She looked at my documents (sales contract, proof of insurance, vehicle plate permit), clicked the information into her computer, and printed out an Ontario registration.

What motorbike are you getting?
  8. KurtRules

Oddometer:
    I am getting a V Strom 650. I wanted the T700 but it is out of budget :(

Also - the plate permit - does the dealer issue temp permit? And what about the plate - do they give it to you then and there at the Service Ontario after reg?
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  9. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    maybe a bit off topic...but what about a used bike?
  10. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Ok, this is going to sound wonky, and it is - I've done it both ways.

If you buy a used vehicle in Quebec, normally both the buyer and seller visit the SAAQ and complete the transaction, paying the QC tax and getting a temporary permit or a permanent permit if you live in QC. There is a proxy form that the seller can fill out, and the buyer take into the SAAQ - either way works fine.

If you are from out of province, YOU DO NOT NEED TO VISIT THE SAAQ.
    You can get a receipt from the seller, and transfer the QC registration at your provincial licensing office.
    There are sellers in QC that will refuse to do this, and insist you visit the SAAQ with them, and you will have to pay the QC tax AND the Ontario tax when you get home, but then apply to be refunded for the QC tax. If they give you a proxy form, just nod and smile then go home and register it there.
    I82l8 likes this.
  11. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    The dealer can apply a temp permit, yes - they will charge a small fee for it, but it should be $25 or less (only costs them $10).
    You get a plate at Service Ontario, and your sticker of course.
  12. KurtRules

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  13. jasiu

Oddometer:
    In my case the process of registration was smooth, proof of purchase (in my case invoice from dealer), insurance and safety were all I needed to complete registration. I had to go twice to Service Ontario because first time I didn't have safety done on my bike. Not sure how it works when buying a new bike but my was from 2016 and I couldn't register it in Ontario without safety certificate.
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  14. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
  15. KurtRules

Oddometer:
    I registered the bike on my way back home today. Thank you folks for your inputs.
    I82l8 and Vikingtazz like this.