Buying a project in US, and registering in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by England-Kev, Mar 3, 2020.

1. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you buy a 1970's bike at a swap meet in the US, on a bill of sale only, so how do you go about getting it into Canada, and then get it titled?
  2. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    RIV. Registrar of imported vehicles. Government of Canada website.
  3. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you can as far as I know you need the title to export then import the bike.
  4. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    No RIV for older than 25 years.
  5. 81twins

81twins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would go to the Canada border services website and and the US customs site to see what is currently needed for both export from the US and import into Canada. Also it is a good idea to confirm the vehicle can be imported however.. all models of the bmw motorcycles were okay to import the last time I was on the site. My last import was over 15yrs old and I did not have to go through the Registrar of imported vehicles (RiV) process. I had to provide to the US customs a bill of sale, confirmation the vehicle had been registered and there were no liens on the bike. These were faxed to the US border office I was entering through by the seller. I got the phone number on the US customs website and I phoned the border crossing office to confirm a few things I was concerned about. They were very helpful confirming they wanted the documents 48 hours before you brought the bike to the border for them to review and confirm docs before allowing the vehicle leave the US. I was 2 days late because of a shipping problem which caused some concern and took extra time to locate my documents. Canada customs will then review the documents, physically confirm the serial number, collect the GST and let the bike into Canada. Different provinces have their own requirements to register so check with a registration office in the province you plan to register the vehicle in to see what is needed. In Alberta a safety inspection is needed along with proof of insurance before it can be registered. If the vehicle is newer and needs a RIV form extra inspections are needed.
    I have imported 2 airhead sidecar rigs with no problems however my last import was about 7 yrs ago and things may be different now so go to the websites to see what they need and follow the directions. I did not have any problems but others have. A customs officer commented they are happy when someone reads the instructions and follows directions... Hope this helps and is clear...
  6. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Hey Alastair! That was the same process when I brought that '81 G/S home from Great Falls, MT.

An edit to my previous post, 15 years or older and there is no RIV.

https://www.riv.ca/RIVExemptions.aspx
  7. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the usual requirement for a bike more than fifteen years old is the original bill of sale, clear title document, and recently, an ITN number, copies of which are faxed or emailed to the us border crossing office located at your specific border crossing into canada. you bring the original title document and original clear title document with you when you arrive at the border.

dont know if the 72 hour filing requirement (fax or email title and bill of sale at least 72 hours prior to your arrival at the border) still exists but i think it does.

without a title document, you may have difficulties getting the bike out of the united states even if you have a bill of sale.

if you are riding the bike across the border, you might wish to explore obtaining title in the us first. you might actually have to do this no matter how you are getting the bike across the border.

you might want to try to get someone on the phone from both us and canadian customs. good luck with that.

this sounds like a fun and frustrating project. good fortune to you.
  8. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and info, looks to be a step too far for someone living in the UK...

Time for another plan