Buying a Triumph Bonneville in the Philippines? Thailand Triumph factory?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Michael Grey, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Michael Grey

Michael Grey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all!

Went to the Philippines earlier this year and have made it my mission to go back and ride the whole country north to south.

My dream bike’s always been a Bonnie, so that’s the one it has to be.

Plan to buy it in Manila, and go south from there.

Should take me a months or two to ride slowly down to Davao.

I want to return to Europe for the summer, leave the bike for a few months in Asia, and then come back to ride more, or to explore Thailand / Vietnam / Laos / Cambodia.

Now, here’s the problem:

Early this year it was announced Triumph Motorcycles would be available in Manila in early 2020.
    I emailed that dealer and the group through their website, but don’t get a reply back. They don’t pick up the phone either…

I know buying a new bike and dealing with waiting for the OR/CR can be hassle, but Triumph has never been sold in the Philippines so… new is the only way to go.

Triumph has good distribution (and a factory) in Thailand.
    - Would it be easier to buy one there, and import it in the Ph?
    I understood there’s some kind of trade agreement between both countries so that the otherwise high import taxes would substantially reduced.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

All the best,

Michael
  2. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buying a new bike here with zero dealer or parts network for long distance travel wouldn't be a wise decision IMO. If that Thai-Phil trade agreement was a real thing seems there would be more used bikes available here already. I did find this one.
    https://www.carousell.ph/p/triumph-motorcycle-261470835/

If you buy in Manila do yourself a favor and head north first. Some of the best roads in the Philppines are in northern Luzon.

Also a Bonneville will limit your road choices on every island even in the best weather conditions. Plenty of rough, rutted, rocky dirt roads that appear on OSM maps as a highway. Add rain and they'll become near impassable for you.
    Trouble and Farang Paul like this.
  3. Trouble

Trouble Sloth Hunter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to do a ride like that on a CRF250L or M. Fun bikes.
    Maybe 2020 is the year.
  4. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do it! You can rent a CRF250L in Pampanga for a decent price, 1,000 peso per day or an XR200 even cheaper, 600 peso per day.
  5. Broski88

Broski88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't try to import anything vehicle related into the Philippines, the import taxes are insane, as in nearly 100% of the purchase price and that's assuming you ever actually get it released from customs, I've heard numerous stories of guys importing vehicles and there just never released for whatever reason and end up in some officials garage. 2ndly parts can be a total pain to get here, so I'd highly recommend getting something common here. I bought a honda CRF 250 rally this past feb as it is the largest readily available bike here w extensive dealer network.