buying and selling a bike in south america

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by steveh2112, Nov 18, 2017.

1. steveh2112

steveh2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i see shipping my bike from LA to Columbia is about $700 each way which seems like a waste of money.

so i was looking at bikes for sale in Columbia like this
    https://envigado.olx.com.co/honda-cb500x-iid-973789482
    so that's $7500 for a 2015 with 33000 Km, seems expensive, my 2014 with 4000 miles was $4200

also, what about the general idea of buying a cheap bike to tour SA? where would be the best place to start? i'm not opposed to getting something really cheap and sell for scrap value at the end of the trip.

any thoughts?

UPDATE: this looks better
    https://moto.mercadolibre.com.co/MCO-459332805-moto-honda-xr-200-barata-3650000-bogota-_JM
    $1200, definitely in my price range and i guess the dealer would give something back at the end of the trip.

i just wonder about the legalities, title, insurance, etc, especially if travelling multiple countries

thanks
  2. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is guy that posts on Horizons Unlimited who does a sell and buyback thing in Peru and gets good revues. His handle is charapasperu or something close.
  3. steveh2112

Oddometer:
    interesting, looks like there are a lot of people on Horizons Unlimited looking to buy bikes in SoAm
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can always give you a place to park one in UY.

Keep in mind inflation rates in SA tend to be much higher than up norte so you might get the same amount back on a bike even a year later. Or not. Always a crapshoot.
  5. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Taxes are higher in South America and bikes don't lose their value like they do in the states.

DANGER!! on buying a used bike in South America!! Most bikes selling for under $10,000 USD have been badly maintained (including welded transmission gears !) and many times have been sold and resold and are no longer in the name of the person that presently has them. Even if so, it often takes 1 or 2 months to get the paperwork in your name, a requirement to cross borders.

In Peru, we solve all that for you. PM me.
    steveh2112 likes this.
  6. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
  7. Salentomoto

Salentomoto Ride,eat,sleep and repeat.

Oddometer:
  8. Bev0r

Bev0r n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, when are you planning on starting and where? I will finish my trip end of march after I got down to Patagonia and back up to Buenos Aires, it is a CRF 250L 2014 I bought and registered the bike in VA US. It has all the extras you need for a long trip.

Bigger tank, proper pannierrack, soft luggage, good hand guards, all the engine protection and many more extras.

After finishing my trip it will have around 20.000 on it.

Let me know what you think, then I will send you more info. IMG_20171030_141630.jpg

Attached Files:

knight likes this.
  9. steveh2112

Oddometer:
    nice bike. i'm still on my Mex trip then i have to go back to the US and work for a bit, so no more adventures on the cards for me for a long time. looks like a nice bike, i'm sure you'll have no problem selling it.
  10. Alex on the move

Alex on the move n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello guys, in order not to create a new thread I'm using this one. I'll be in the same situation as OP's. Arriving in mid January anywhere in SA depending on where I could find a good bike and easy paperwork. I've read only 3 countries would allow this being Chile, Peru and Columbia. I'm in contact with the guy in Peru and his "buy back" thing. However there are several reviews on his business and not all of them are good. Is there anybody with a updated plan? Budget would be from 3000 to 4000$ and expecting to lose 1000 to 15000$ during the sell. Knowing it's a one way ticket so I need the bike for a very long time and thus reliable as f****

Thank you all !!!
    pceire32 likes this.
  11. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Alex, read each the whole reviews to make your mind up and you will find the truth. Over 200 happy riders who never wrote a review!