Buying from overseas - customs duty owed?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by fprintf, Oct 29, 2018.

1. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for a new trials helmet. I've been to all the usual US sites and find not a great amount of deals on right now, which is surprising given it is end of the season.

Splat Shop in the U.K. has a nice Airoh TRR S helmet in my size and color on sale for about $208 including shipping to the U.S. That same helmet is on RYP "on sale" for $299. However I've read other threads to be wary of ordering from overseas due to a bill coming from the shipping company a few days/weeks after the delivery with customs duty owed.

Is this something I should worry about?
  2. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like according to https://hts.usitc.gov/ that helmets are not subject to any duty or tariff. So I should be good to go. Any last words before I hit "buy"? :-)
  3. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Knock on wood, but I've never had a problem like that ordering from either the UK or Australia. :thumb
    fprintf likes this.
  4. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Airoh TRR from a vendor in Italy for the same price. Third helmet I've bought from Europe. No duty and no problems.
    Kiharaikido and fprintf like this.
  5. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve purhased 5 or 6 helmets from overseas... ONE time, I had to pay some sort of import fees, which ate up a good portion of what I’d saved by not purchasing domestically. There were two helmets in the shipment, so that might’ve been part of the issue. It was a pain in the ass, and I think it was mainly caused by FedEx. As a result, now I always make sure they aren’t coming via FedEx.

I don’t know anyone else who has ever had this issue.
    fprintf likes this.
  6. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the guidance. So now a quick question, the helmet has been sitting in NY since October 31st according to the tracking number via the U.S. Postal Service. Considering I'm in Connecticut, only a few hours drive away, this seems rather odd!

I'm going to give it a few more days but if it doesn't move I fear I may be out of luck since I don't know what Splat Shop will do about it and the USPS website is useless for contacting them.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. Kiharaikido

Kiharaikido Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    USPS is the weak link there. I sent a registered letter 2-3 day air that was misplaced. Took quite some time with no explanation or apology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  8. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I bought some motorcycle tools from a company in Germany. They shipped the package DHL Post (not Parcel), so the package transferred to USPS on arrival in the States. Similarly it sat for 10 days after Customs in NY. USPS 800 number said I needed to check with my local Post Office, but my Postmaster said I needed to check with the 800 number! It finally came 4 days later, but never moved according to the tracking number.

Last Scorpa parts from Birkett Motosports in UK..... 5 days Royal Mail/USPS. Airoh helmet from Italy... 3 days DHL Parcel Standard Shipping.
    fprintf and jonnyc21 like this.
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    When I got my Airoh helmet I had a similar experience as well. I just chocked it up to a combination of customs and USPS both sucking. Still got the helmet just took an extra 5 to 7 days longer than it really needed to.
    Brewtus, fprintf and Norman Foley like this.
  10. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely I had the same experience. It sat in New York for 10 days. If finally started to move a few days ago, going through my state to another state distribution center (likely past my house too lol) before going back to my town this weekend. Finally arrived this afternoon, for a total of 14 days time from ordering to sitting on my head as I type here. Good thing it fits!
    Kiharaikido and Norman Foley like this.
  11. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it and glad it fits!