1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying gear in Hanoi N Vietnam

Discussion in 'Asia' started by innocent bystander, Oct 20, 2008.

1. innocent bystander

innocent bystander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I am going to Hanoi around christmas for a couple of weeks riding. Does anyone know whether buying bike gear there is a possibility, or not worth the trouble.? I will only have about a day to buy so addresses of shops would be great.

thanks
  2. TymeRyder

TymeRyder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is GOOD LUCK. Do not attempt to drive in hanoi traffic unless you are savy you vitenam road rules. The roads over there are mad...until you get out into the country. I think you would have a hard time finding any shops for gear..I would suggest brining whatever you think you might need. You can find places to rent a russian minsk to ride around in the countryside. seriously, avoide city traffice at all cost.
  3. quocdat

quocdat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, trafic in HN or in any city of Vietnam crazy abit. ha ha but if you want to try dangerous adventure, try it and see how traffic in moving. Ride Misnk in countryside so interesting or u rent a Honda motorbike easy in HN
  4. innocent bystander

Oddometer:
    Most of the riding will be in the countryside North of HN so it should be OK.
  5. Warthog

Warthog TeutonicChronic

Oddometer:
  6. jshuck

jshuck Iron Butt #31

Oddometer:
    my wife had her shoulder purse peeled right off her shoulder by 2 scooter creeps. They only got $10 and about 10 Imodium pills. I hope they took all the Imodium at once...!! Leave your passport at the hotel..
  7. buebo

buebo n00b

Oddometer:
    I have not tried buying gear in Hanoi. However I've tried it in Cambodia, Lao and Bangkok (so decide for yourself if that's worth anything to you) and getting anything decent was next to impossible. Maybe you'll be able to get something used from fellow travelers but that takes time, so don't count on it.

My advice to you would be to bring anything that's essential (like a good helmet) and do not count on anything locally available. Motorcycle security is not an especially great concern to the majority of south east asian riders, so other than rich westerners there's no market for these products.

I used to own a Cambodian Helmet and that thing was utter crap. I only used as long as I had nothing else.

Otherwise Hanoi can be a blast, you just have to know that the northern Vietnamese usually haggle about everything. It once took me about 20 Minutes to buy a bottle of water. After that I discovered I was ripped off - price in the local marked was a third of what I paid... :evil

Have Fun!
    buebo
  8. innocent bystander

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I think I will take all I need, just in case.

Mark
  9. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try the russian shop in Hanoi towers they usually have a good selection of bike jackets (Hanoi towers on site of old hanoi hilton , easy to find) Helmets in Hanoi are crap so take your own, Jackets are good Chinese ADV rider stuff usually around 70$ US , if you go around xmas it could get pretty cold but thats usually late Jan early Feb, I lived there for seven years and have a lot of bike riding friends there, pm me if you want more info.
  10. innocent bystander

Oddometer:
    Thanks em that is exactly what I was looking for.
  11. innocent bystander

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update, Two of us just came back from 3 weeks in North Vietnam from 26th Dec to 17th Jan.

We found jackets and pants, good quality and inexpensive at Hanoi Towers shop as exploding mouse suggested, thanks em. This shop also does ski clothes if needed.

Another shop for alpinestars gloves and jackets and good road boots at 39 Hoa Ma street.

Helmets mostly in large and extra large sizes can be found from the helmet district near Hoa Ma St. We did find a full face good quality in medium at a good price but they are rare you would need to check each shop, there are heaps of them (shops not helmets).

To change the thread slightly we also did 2 trips for a total of 13 days with Offroad Vietnam on 250 XR's a great company to deal with seem to be honest and helpful. I would recommend getting the 250 for the extra power and better suspension.

We stayed at Hotel Elegance 4 in Hanoi in Yen Thai street. Also very helpful and honest people highly recommended.
  12. D_rider

D_rider n00b

Oddometer:
    Your trip seemed so Great!!! :D

I hope you will have some days back to Vietnam.

I also share a shop which provide gears for your travel. It is a shop in Hanoi, Vietnam. Should you have a look at this website: http://www.dodulich.com/San-phams/253/Motorcycling.aspx :type

Hope it useful sometimes!