Buying new

Discussion in 'Trials' started by edgerat, May 18, 2020.

1. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all, buying a new trials bike this week, first for me. Sherco Factory 250 is what I have my eyes on. Any reason why I should look at anything else? Currently ride a 250xc for my enduro bike. Read most of the info about maintenance and keeping bolts tight.

Thanks!
    Isaac
    jonnyc21, Huzband and North ride like this.
  2. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, for learning l would go with a smaller engine, like a 125. Better if you ride the bike, instead the bike riding you.

Congrats on your new bike, and welcome!
    edgerat likes this.
  3. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like 250's. I really like the Beta Evo 200 I suspect I might take less points on one at my lower skill level when riding sections then the bike I have. No Trials bike will rip like your 250 enduro bike, I think you will like the Sherco.
    edgerat likes this.
  4. tacrac

tacrac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All bikes are excellent these days. Just get very familiar with clutch control as the last 250 Sherco I tried was quick. You will like the 250
    alpineboard and edgerat like this.
  5. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I think the 250 will be perfect. Quite a few riders around here are moving down from 300 to 250 and can't stop raving about how much more they enjoy riding the 250s.

The 250s I've ridden are really smooth and easy to control. I wish 250s were easier to find used. Until then, I'll put a slow throttle tube on my 300 and focus on my clutch control.
    Huzband and edgerat like this.
  6. edgerat

Oddometer:
    The guy I have been talking to about them said, I can do just that, put a slow throttle tube on it, flywheel weight if the 250 is TOO much right out of the gate but, we shall see.
    slicktop likes this.
  7. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I don't think you'll need a flywheel weight, especially on a 250. The black/slow throttle tube does plenty to tame my 300 down to levels that are manageable for the inexperienced rider, such as myself.
    edgerat and riabma77 like this.
  8. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might as well get a 300.
    With those mods you should have a pussycat.
    edgerat likes this.
  9. edgerat

Oddometer:
    I don't want to end up where I am with my 250xc, I fixed all the issues (new head, 36mm PWK) and now it is too punchy to learn the slow-speed enduro stuff I want. Should have bought a 300, then it would be smoother, I think.
    Whiskeywarlord and Gordy like this.
  10. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can also cut a small groove in a Fast Tube, and make the Fast Tube a Progressive. Tape 2 hacksaw blades together. Cut in just a little bit for depth (1/16"), for very short length. (1/4" to 3/8"), this tones down the just off idle Pow, just where you want it to be mellow.
    y4m4 likes this.
  11. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming off years of Evo 250's, now on Scorpa 250, (same engine as Sherco), it is a faster hitting powerband than the Beta. Also more powerful, in general, compared to the Evo 250s. I like the power, however even though it is a 250, some might find it a bit much. I suspect you won't have any problem. However, as previously noted, there are simple options out there to tone it down (Throttle, flywheel, lower compression head insert). Another factor is the elevation where you ride. The snappy power gets mellowed out at the higher elevations.
    Norman Foley and edgerat like this.
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    @edgerat Welcome to ADV and the trials forum! :thumb
    You will be fine with the Sherco 250. I came off of dirt bikes and started with 300s in trials and am not looking back!
    Congrats on having the funds to buy new, you will have a lot less problems and maintenance which will let you ride more!
    Buschog, Huzband, North ride and 4 others like this.
  13. EricNew2NM

EricNew2NM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased the same bike, yesterday!
    Norman Foley, jonnyc21 and edgerat like this.
  14. RainyDaze

RainyDaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my first trials bike in January, a TRS250RR. It's dead sexy. If you have a dealer nearby I suggest taking a look. That being said, can't go wrong with any new 2020. In my neck of the woods Sherco seems to be the most popular but every couple weeks I see another new convert to TRS.

I also ride enduro (KTM 300) and never once though this 250 had too little or too much power. It'll be a many years before I'm tackling big obstacles needing more power than a 250 can deliver.

I'm closing in on 100hours after just four months. I'm lucky to get to ride my enduro bike that much in a whole year!

Trials is super fun in a small amount of space and very convenient to ride often if you've got a yard. You'll love it!
    Huzband, North ride, jonnyc21 and 4 others like this.
  15. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    same here, came off of dirbikes, and started on an evo 300, I like the lower rpm it uses, But have also ridden evo 200, and I could sure get used to riding a 200.
    wheelieman14, North ride and jonnyc21 like this.
  16. Super Dirt Dud

Super Dirt Dud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So for me it is a Beta 200 or my secret weapon a Beta 300 Super Smooth n an electric bike is in my future . Any new trials bike can be made a bit tamer easier than bumping up the speed of things .
    Norman Foley likes this.
  17. edgerat

Oddometer:
    Tell me about TRS. I was trying to go with a company that has been around a while. I know Jordi Tarres is involved with them. Vertigo, TRS, were on the list of possibly too new to have parts support and stuff. I am in Olympia, we live in Capitol Forest on 2ac with enough room to make plenty of trials trails.
  18. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Been on a couple TRS's and they are great bikes, my only complaint was that I didn't like the S3 curved pegs on one of them, but that is easy to swap to standard. And with Jim Snell as the TRS importer I would expect fantastic parts support here in the US. (http://trialspartsusa.com/)

One of our local riders is on a Vertigo and I haven't heard him say anything about parts support issues, but really haven't talked to him much about it. His bike seems to be in good shape and haven't heard him complain so that's a good sign...
    edgerat likes this.
  19. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    TRS doesn’t have curve pegs anymore.
    Maybe later I’ll give a point by point comparison of what I think is better on a TRS vs Sherco but that will have to wait and it’s only my .02 anyway.
    edgerat and jonnyc21 like this.
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Comparison, Gordy once had an `18 Sherco. :( Then he bought a new TRRS 300.:wingsThen he bought a 2020 Red TRS300.:rilla:happay:ricky. The end.
    Super Dirt Dud, Huzband and Gordy like this.