Buying new

Discussion in 'Trials' started by edgerat, May 18, 2020.

1. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    THIS THREAD BLOWS. This is what I bought since my last post. I wish the last owner would of at least washed it.:imaposer

Attached Files:

Huzband, DyrWolf, riabma77 and 5 others like this.
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I was talking to you, but Huzband snuck in on my post. And I certainly feel that the ass kicking was one sided and I was on the wrong side. :)
    Huzband, Norman Foley and lineaway like this.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid, I was always accused of being faster than the mx guys. I usually spent my none trials time doing wheelies past the downed riders on the large hill climbs. :D
    jonnyc21, Norman Foley and 2whlrcr like this.
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Oh and can we please leave golf analogizes out of any trials thread. I've got to draw the line somewhere.
    Huzband, Yinzer Moto and North ride like this.
  5. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats Bob!

That's a beautiful yellowish GasGas.
    DyrWolf, Norman Foley and lineaway like this.
  6. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    even though this thread blows, thank you ;)
    jonnyc21 and lineaway like this.
  7. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with that but factor in reliability, build quality and details and TRS moves to the top again.
    I’d like to try a Vertigo someday but I’m not shelling out for what a new bike costs to see what that is like. I have a great performing and reliable machine already, I’ve tried pretty much everything else, so I’m basically out of the “market”.
    Oh yeah, don’t listen IMO to the guys saying “try a 125 or a 250”. You will always wonder what having some more grunt would feel like. If you absolutely feel like the 300s are too much, put an extra base gasket or a low compression head in to tame it down some. I love the 300 power and I’m right at 185# and ride at 5’000’ for reference.
    If you are a decent rider or n the KTM and wicking that thing up, you will be fine!

Sometimes I feel like we are trying to take guys from zero (or street riders) and somehow trying to relate trials to them. If you have skills on a dirt bike , can blast down a mountain on a MTB, or both, the transition to trials will be painful but relatively quick.
    Stick with your plan, ride a bunch of trials and you will see the skills transfer to your XC. :deal
    Buy the bike, don’t practice or work through the basics and you will still ride dirt bikes like you do now and there is probably nothing wrong with that.
    We all want to ride our dirt bikes like Jarvis but you can forget that!!
  8. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trials is motorcycle golf counting dabs /strokes low score wins and invented by the same fookers in the UK.
    Norman Foley, RainyDaze and lineaway like this.
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Just to add a little fuel to the fire;
    There is currently a rousing thread here on how to make the Beta clutch work. Also one at Trials Central.
    You could find one about Montessa pretty easy too.
    Clutch plates, add shims, pull shims, remove some springs, oils, blah, blah , blah.
    Try to find one about modifying a TRS clutch. :D
    Buy a bike that works and ride the piss outa it!!!
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be modifying it Friday if I am not working. I had ordered the parts 6 months ago.:lol2
    Norman Foley likes this.
  11. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A huge percentage of the riders who claim they “need” a 300, definitely don’t “need” a 300. Most of them would do better with a 250, in all honesty. It’s just a common misconception that most trials riders in the US don’t realize, because everyone is told that 300s are the way to go.
    Norman Foley and riabma77 like this.
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I have never once in my life said “I wish I had less power”. It’s a throttle, use it accordingly.

All kiddin aside, I’ll bet that a large percentage of riders never get on the main jet, let alone need more power.
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and edgerat like this.
  13. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garret going back on a Beta 4t ?
    Norman Foley likes this.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 5000ft, you have a 15% loss in power over sea level. The 250 is 16% smaller in displacement. Just saying you are basically riding a 250 right now.
    Huzband, riabma77 and lineaway like this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    He wants a Beta 4T, but he is looking at left over 4RT`s too. He is just trying to buy a new to him 4x4 truck with cash, he drives a 2019 Honda civic to work. He is trying to find a `deal`in the 15 to 20k range.
    jonnyc21 and North ride like this.
  16. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, what's left from my 125cc at 8,000'? A 80cc?

In my opinion, for somebody that is starting in Trials, there are aspects way more important than power and throttle, like clutch control, feel and understand the suspension, and moving the bike with your body.

At least in my case, my 125 has enough power for me. I don't see myself jumping into something bigger anytime soon.
    DyrWolf likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    8000ft is a 24% power loss based on elevation. You might be correct about the 80cc power. There is nothing wrong with that. I have ridden a Beta 80 senior, with the right technique, it is very capable. My wife just got a newer a Scorpa 125, rumored to be one of the more powerful 125s, it is very nice and has a lot of useable power.

My bike currently has a 250 kit on it but I will put the 300 kit back on for our yearly trip out west.

What is interesting is that the people who ride at altitude are not searching for larger bores than 300.
    DyrWolf, NMTrailboss and riabma77 like this.
  18. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Yes, and I weigh 165lb not 185lb. I don't know how Gordy can ride that dog.:1drink
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    If I were him, I’d be looking to bump it up to a 350, at least. :imaposer
  20. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I should buy a 125. Apparently, that will do it........

A few years back, Peters rode a Beta 80 in our top class for most of the season and it was amazing! :bow
    He would basically pin it at the start gate, leave it there and just use the clutch to deliver power. You could hear that poor clutch screaming and howling from the pit.

with that being said;
    I look at small displacement bikes as good training tools. You have to use the clutch.
    With poor throttle clutch skills, you will get in trouble with a 80, a 125 or a 300.
    If you are tooling around on the pilot jet all day just plugging up the muffler, it really doesn’t matter what you are riding IMO.
    However, if you are going to BRAAAAP, you better have a bike that will BRAAAAP! :rofl
    Yinzer Moto and riabma77 like this.