1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying new

Discussion in 'Trials' started by edgerat, May 18, 2020.

1. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess I better order that CR 500 jug for my TRS .
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  3. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bragging or Complaining - it is so hard to know with trials riders - LOL :-)
    lineaway likes this.
  4. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's my point. The first time I rode a trials bike, it was a rental during a course. 125cc with one of those S3 kits. I hit the floor twice. First trying to lift the front wheel, and second climbing a hill in 3rd gear. Full throttle. The bike finished before me.

Another newbie rented also a bike. A 300cc (bigger is better, right?). The bike throw him twice in the ground, and he asked for something smaller.

I think there are less chances to get discouraged starting with small bores. There's always time to grow (if you need it).

I admire you were able to learn and stay with 300s. For sure, that's not my case.

Driving to pick up my bike from D Square Trials. Curious to see if I will notice a difference with the new corrected jetting.
  5. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my second TRS. Just a well made bike. Top shelf importer and dealers. Hard to go wrong. A low comp head insert and you can calm the 300 enough for mortals to enjoy. I also installed the DAB levers, just a little easier pull and slower hook up. Makes me smile....
    Yinzer Moto, North ride and edgerat like this.
  6. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I would be on a TRS if they were easier to find on the used market. I've ridden a few and they really click with me. The balance is just incredible too, I was able to static balance instantly where other bikes take a little more effort.

Beta is definitely a bit pokey compared to the TRS and the comparison is even less favorable when you start looking at a factory Sherco. Beta turns the sharpest, which I can take advantage of about 95% of the time. The other 5% usually ends with me on the ground.

Beta gearbox is very hit and miss. Some bikes are great, but many have issues with false neutrals. My 2017 standard 300 was OK, but I could rarely ride a day without it coming out of second gear. My current one is a 2018 and it has only come out of 2nd once and that was almost certainly a result of me not shifting it properly. Both of my Beta clutches have been good after I got done fiddling with them. The stock clutch on my factory seemed to be a little better than the standard one, but that could just be in my head.

Beta fits my riding style and preferences well.
    edgerat likes this.
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Used TRS's are semi scarce. I sold my 18 raga 300 within 40 minutes of posting a 'reply' --- not even a forsale post for my bike--- mentioning I had a 300 rr trs, I was looking to sell, on a facebook post. I then was told that my money was no good in buying the 2018 300 raga gold from my dad for the 3rd time, lol. so I called snell he said 3 300 RR's left that he was aware of. a week later when I decided to get it now, 3 were gone. only reason I got the one I got, the dealer had actually bought it for himself... THanks Bill BTW Love this damn bike.

FWIW, technically it is my 4th trs, lol. I have had the 17 & 18 Ragas, a raga gold which we still have. and my 2020
    lineaway likes this.
  8. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the (I would have said "dark side" but your frame is white) club!
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we will see. I have ridden it briefly a few times but never with any intensity. The bike will do the things that I suck at well.
  10. Sting32

Oddometer:
    I kind of hope to sneak out again and ride with you fellers...
    NMTrailboss likes this.
  11. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Balance Trials, eh? I ride with Bill quite a lot and can't get through a whole day without hearing Bill grumble about not being able to keep a TRS long enough to ride one (not exactly a bad thing!). I had no idea you were one of the offender(s) in question.
  12. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Yep, we have done this to him 2 times at least, the gold and my 2020. Bill is funny, when I called him asked if he knew of any (my 1st sentence you know) he as almost groaning, "yeah but it is supposed to be mine". 2 years ago I think dad bought the gold from him, but least he had a few rides on it.
    y4m4 likes this.
  13. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah ha... so the 300 RR that Bill had yesterday is now gone.
  14. Sting32

Oddometer:
    No I bought mine/took delievery about 3 weeks ago I think it is now...

Sure it was RR (red) the R is not red. Imean it has white frame, mine has red frame.
    edgerat likes this.
  15. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Trials is a niche sport, so we don't get a lot of bikes imported every year and this year is exceptionally bad. The lesson I learned when shopping for my first bike was "have the money ready and be the first person there."

There's always shipping a bike. Cycltrader usually has a small fleet of Montesas that can be hard to move. Also, make sure you're on the Trials bikes for sale facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1495277897377019/

I heard the next TRS Bill was gonna have would arrive in July or so. I could be completely wrong.
    edgerat likes this.
  16. jeffs2200

jeffs2200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe he was talking about the new 19 RR that he had.
  17. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vertigo 200 it is. Appreciate the input everyone! It really helped a lot!
    North ride, RainyDaze, GTC and 5 others like this.
  18. riabma77

riabma77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Smart choice.

I would like to hear some feedback (if possible).

Enjoy it!
    jonnyc21, edgerat and Norman Foley like this.
  19. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats - I would love to try Vertigo 200 !!!
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let us know how you get along with it. I can't recall anyone giving us feedback on the 200.
    Boy, it's only a 26 hour round trip. Perfect with the long weekend.:1drink
    Yinzer Moto, jonnyc21 and edgerat like this.